Off-Season Book Reading?

Norm

Vendor
Bike
KLR650
STOC #
While not directly motorcycle related, a very interesting read was "Thinking, Fast & Slow", by Michael Kahneman. Kahneman is the only non-economist to win a Nobel Prize in economics. His field is psychological research and this book discusses the latest theories of how we think. Fascinating but a bit discouraging as he seems not to offer much hope that we will improve our thinking effectiveness.

The motorcycle relationship, IMO, turns around people's thinking and decision making processes and how they affect the ability to make effective decisions. This is a book to read, re-read and then pull down off the shelf from time to time.

HIH

Norm

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
If I were running a motorcycle shop with every bike I sold I would give out a copy of "More Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hoe. It provides insight into many of the riding scenarios we see everday and how to come out of them safely. It's fun reading and I have read it at least ten times being I pick up something new each time.

Happy New Year to All!

mbw919

Martin
Bike
'07 ST1300
One of my riding buddies loaned me "The Vincent In The Barn" by Tom Cotter. I haven't read a book in years (except technical manuals), thanks to the internet. I need to get it read and return it to its rightful owner.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I'm working my way through Atlas Shrugged this winter - absolutly nothing to do with motorcycles, however when I get to page 1168, it will be spring and time to ride again.

Clutch

Bike
Suzuki Bandit 250
I don't know how I missed this thread. I like reading, though I usually choose books not related to motorcycles. I've found several good recommendations here. Thanks for sharing and other updates are appreciated.

These days, my literary exploration has led me to immerse myself in the world of subtle artistic sensual eroticism found within the short stories crafted by Stellan Emrys Wild. This particular genre, delicately curated by Wild, offers a refreshing perspective—light and positive, creating a literary haven that resonates with a unique charm. In Wild's narratives, the exploration of sensuality is an art form. The stories unfold with a subtlety that is both enchanting and uplifting. It's not just about the physicality of desire; rather, it's a celebration of the intricacies of human connection and the joy that can be found in the exploration of intimacy.

Last edited:

Walleye

Site Supporter
Bike
99 ST 1100
Now I can read a bit, and I think it may be a good thing. Have even read a few books, mostly the ones with the front and back covers real close to each other. To solve that matter and stay out of the childrens section and being feared a pedophile, I have turned to books with short stories not in the childrens section, books that reflect the struggles and meaning of life for the common folks. The only author I can recommend are by Patrick F McManus, hope you enjoy.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
Now I can read a bit, and I think it may be a good thing. Have even read a few books, mostly the ones with the front and back covers real close to each other. To solve that matter and stay out of the childrens section and being feared a pedophile, I have turned to books with short stories not in the childrens section, books that reflect the struggles and meaning of life for the common folks. The only author I can recommend are by Patrick F McManus, hope you enjoy.
With the name 'Walleye', makes perfect sense you recommend McManus!
:biggrin:

randalicious

Seasoned M/C Rider
Bike
'07 ST1300
I'm currently reading, All the Devils are Here, a mystery fiction by Louise Penny. Nothing to do with motorcycling, but has been hard to put down. Story line: two families of French Canadian investigators are in Paris to investigate possible corruption and murder caused by a large intentional construction company going for max profit (I think).
Some elementary French terms are used, so if you can translate, "oui," "non," "s'il vous plait," and "merci beau coup," and the like, you will do fine.
It's not short, but moves quickly, and is not a "girly" romance. It has held my interest more than 1/2 way through it.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Two of my recent fiction favorites are The Thursday Murder Club and The Man Who Died Twice by Richard Osman. Brilliant mystery stories both that have dry Brit wit without guffaw levity. Four septuagenarians of varied backgrounds meet on Thursdays to discuss crimes in the news and from old files/cold cases. As luck and the author would have it they are drawn into actual crimes and investigate.

Not your typical mystery novels but highly entertaining. An FYI for anyone that might be worried about not getting their Man Card punched – two of the four protagonists are women. I've read these two books twicee and they're very entertaining.

There are two more in the series but I don't know they fare as well. I've read the third and it's very similar to the first two and feels it. I don't yet know if I'll read the fourth.

Walleye

Site Supporter
Bike
99 ST 1100
Anything by the American writer Bill Bryson.....
"A Walk in the Woods" by Bryson is made into a movie starring Robert Redford, 2016. I've been up 5 1/2 hrs and cant get motivated, so I will watch it, its free, then take the hound out for a walk in the woods.

randalicious

Seasoned M/C Rider
Bike
'07 ST1300
I see that Michael Connelly has a new book out, Resurrection Walk. His books have always been good reads. This one features The Lincoln Lawyer, but he gets some help from his 1/2 bro, Bosch. Should be good!
I'm #48 in line to borrow it from my local library.

Top Bottom