Off-Season Book Reading?

48V

Bike
Honda ST 1100
STOC #
Have you tried 'Uneasy Rider' Its about a journalist who (when drunk) says he will go round Europe on a bike. A good read.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Yes, I got excited about a 5 page full print of a redwood tree, from base to top with human for scale. I need to ride more.
Come on over!
Sequoia National Park is near Yosemite NP... you'll *really* like riding between them and north of them too!

STranger

Jay Knight
Bike
99 ST1100
STOC #
Come on over!
Sequoia National Park is near Yosemite NP... you'll *really* like riding between them and north of them too!
Yep I hear that's a nice place let me check(look out window) Yep sure is!!!!
Gerbil if your ever over here you got a place to stay!!!

Bike
2005 ST1300
I recommend "Driftless" by David Rhodes, who is a quadraplegic from a motorcycle accident in the '70s. The book isn't much about motorcycles, but it may be the best written book I've ever read.

Bike
2015 Can Am Spyder R
STOC #
Try "Two Wheels Through Terror"
Diary of a South American Motorcycle odyssey, by Glen Heggstad. He gets captured by contra's and escapes. True story, very good.

Bike
2003 ST1300
Thread resurrection!!! Should almost have its own forum .. :)

Read both Heggstad's books. The second is noticeably more polished than TWTT. Good read, some disapointments. Shopcraft as Soulcraft is excellent! Was fighting my way through "Zen" for the second time when I read "Shopcraft" - haven't picked up Zen since.

Currently reading The Man Who Would Stop at Nothing - about long distance riders, mainly John Ryan so far. Not crazy about it just yet. Picked up Neal Peart's book about touring and riding, start on that after "the man who.."..

Anyone else have suggestions?

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
My picks:
Two wheels through terror & One more day everywhere - StrikingViking
Riding with Rilke - Ted Bishop
Journeys, two-up - Ray Uloth
The Perfect Vehicle - Melissa Holbrook Pierson
Blue Highways - William Least Heat Moon
Mike

Bike
Hard to say
Living in northern New York you have to read about bikes 'cus you sure can't ride em much.

Someone already mention Leanings I and II by Peter Egan. I reread them every winter. 101 Road Tales, Clement Salvadori. Clem's book is like Egan'sin that it's a collection of short stories.
Big Sid's Vincati
The Old Man and the Harley

Two others are by Mark "tiger" Edmonds "Longrider: A tale of jus passing through" and "The Ghosts of Scootertrash Past"

If any of you try these and like them I'll put out some more. I've read most of the travel stuff Ewan and McGregor, as well as Travels and they were ok, but I think these were more interesting imho. So, let me know what you think.

Bike
2003 ST1300
101 Road Tales was not bad, but works better as occasional articles rather than a full book. Have to look for the others on that list.. :)

catcher

Site Supporter
Bike
'18Wing, '16VFR1200X
Recently read "The University of Gravel Roads" by Rene Cormier. Global adventure motorcycling by a fellow Canadian. Good narrative, lots of photos.
Also by a Canadian author, "Make Haste, Slowly" describes what motorcycle racing was like in Europe in the sixties. Mike Duff, the author, (now Michelle Duff) was a quite successful racer in his day. Reading about how things were done with miniscule budgets compared to today, reminds us of the debt we owe to these guys who raced long ago. Nothing prompts technical development quite like the competitive urge to win on the track! Today, Michelle lives with a couple of dogs in a woodsy cabin not too far from me, still on a very limited budget. For the last several years, I've been supplying her firewood needs a little below cost. A while back, I arranged a commemorative lunch ride for her. A bunch of friends and I rode to a nice restaurant with her, just to meet and greet. She sold a few copies of her book while there, but mainly it was just good to honour an old racer. Her Yamaha lives, or should I say sleeps, in the back of her kitchen, cause there isn't money to insure it for the road, so she rode my Thruxton to our lunch event. Sweet memories! http://www.michelle-duff.ca/

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Currently reading Asimov's Bible, New Testament. His interpretation of the Gospel according to Mathew seems appropriate right now. :D

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
For Christmas, my dad surprised me with a copy of 'Grand Prix Year' by Ted Simon. Its out of print and I'm not sure where he stumbled on this copy, but it is considered to be one of the best books on Formula 1 to have been written. It chronicles the 1970 F1 season and specifically follows the birth and first year of the March race team. I'm really looking forward to spending some evenings wrapped up in this book.

Top Bottom