Oil filter recommendations

Bike
2007 Honda ST1300A
Hi all ! . Looking for recommendations on oil filters. Factory is best or is there another type that performs better ? Thanks

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
I wouldn't know how to measure how well a particular oil filter is performing. I just buy the Honda ones and assume that they know what they are doing. I assume that they have to be able to cope with a particular minimum flow rate, and be able to maintain that minimum flow even when it starts to clog up during the next 16,000 miles. Or whatever the change interval is. I can't remember. I do my oil and filter around 8,000.

In my early ST days, I noticed that often when I ordered a filter, a filter with a different part number arrived. I also noticed that one filter that I took off, was longer than the one to go back on. I assume the size is related to the flow capacity, so I assumed that if the size was smaller then the end of life flow rate might be reduced below what it needs.

Since I change my oil between 6000 and 8000 miles, and I never change oil without changing the filter, it isn't an issue. I can usually 'feel' the difference when the oil has been in more than 6000 miles. Difficult to describe that, but the oil change improves it. It spends a lot of time sitting in an unheated garage over winter, so I guess that there will be condensation forming inside the engine. I do start it up and let it run until the fans come on every couple of weeks.

Just waffling on about what I do. I don't know what I am talking about when it comes to filters. So like most things, I err on the side of caution. At least, that is what I think I am doing. Those that know better might be able to put me right on some of this.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I just buy the Honda ones and assume that they know what they are doing.
Me to. It just easier that way.

It isn't only the filtering capacity. It is also the flow rate, the bypass valve release pressure, the ability to seal properly as we have seen with the rash of convex filter bases causing leaks, etc.. All these things need to be researched and checked for compatibility if one wants to make an informed decision on an alternate filter that has not been listed as compatible for a given application. If you don't, you are just rolling the dice and making a decision based on ignorance. Or you are taking the word of some person of unknown skill and knowledge on a forum somewhere who said that filter XXX is better than the one Honda recommends. Either method might yield a good choice, but they might possibly yield a bad choice as well.

It is just not worth the investment of time to look in to it for me. In this case I just use what Honda lists and go ride.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Read what this guy has to say. While he is knowledgeable, he is one guy with his opinions. You might also read what he has to say about oil - noodle around on his website - and make your own decision.

Edit. Note that his info is at least 6 years old. Milk spoils in less time than that and mfrs change their product w/ no fanfare and less publicity. Unless it is a Mars candy bar.... :rofl1:

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
SMSW, much of that filter info is outdated. Things have changed, e.g., if you cut apart the standard SuperTech filter now, it's obvious it's really cheap (note above video is the MP SuperTech, obviously better, but I've not seen one on the shelves). The Purolators described by Calsci are the previous generation. New ones have "outie" end caps and can't be used on many Yamahas.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
The thing to remember about any website that gives filter recommendations is how recent their info is. Oil filter "companies" switch their manufacturers all the time. Unless the person making the recommendations is consistently buying new filters and cutting them apart, there is a good chance their info is "old" or no longer relevant. The California Scientific website has been around for a long time. I have no clue how often they update their info.

With that said, just about any filter brand will work and I've ran most of them.

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
There is a history of people using the Mobil 1 M1-110 / A on their bikes on this site without any problems. Either we use the information and recommendations on this site or we don’t. Opinions here seem to change with the wind.

These filters and so many others are used on many different models of bikes all the time, but here suddenly only Honda’s mediocre filter, much like their branded oil also made by the lowest bidder will do.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
The WIX 57356 and the Mobil 1 M1-110 are Champion lab products.
Same filter, same media, same back pressure relief valve, end cap, etc.
Except the WIX is half the price of the Mobil filter because of marketing.
Even at Wally world the Mobil stuff is priced very high lately.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
There is a history of people using the Mobil 1 M1-110 / A on their bikes on this site without any problems. Either we use the information and recommendations on this site or we don’t. Opinions here seem to change with the wind.

These filters and so many others are used on many different models of bikes all the time, but here suddenly only Honda’s mediocre filter, much like their branded oil also made by the lowest bidder will do.
Simply put, for a manufacturer to choose a higher cost vendor over a lower cost vendor for a homogenous product designed to meet quantifiable rigid standards would not be a good business decision. For about 75 years Honda Motor Corp has done a very good job implementing quality in design and production. Quality is not cost. It's simply meeting the requirements deemed necessary for the product. It's not subjective opinion and doesn't change with the wind. As long as meaningful repeatable measurable standards are benchmarked and the allowed deviation from rigid QC standards for the product are maintained, the lowest bidder provides the correct product at the lowest price. Very often people confuse cost with quality and "lowest bidder" to them has the connotation of lower quality but they are simply mistaken. To choose other than the lowest bidder that does not deviate from the requirements achieves nothing for the manufacturer and nothing for the consumer. Standing in the oil aisle at the store one might change the requirements from that of the manufacturer based on personal knowledge or experience, hopefully an informed knowledge, but most of us don't have the education to back it up. Just read oil threads. People believe what they want.

Applied here there are undoubtably filters or oil that are better in some quantifiable way than Honda OEM but to maintain Honda's rigorous reputation for long service life OEM is been proven "good enough" to meet Honda's rigorous standards. To choose other than Honda OEM here is filling some buyer need apart from product suitability for service. Nothing wrong with that. We buy what we do for a variety of reasons. It's a free country and some manufacturers do a great job with production differentiation in order to set themselves apart in the oil aisle at the parts supply store.

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
I walked into Walmart and the Mobil 1 filter was at eye level. Because of this site I knew it would work, so I used it. It’s that simple. Walmart does not carry Honda branded oil or filters, as far as I know. The last two oil filters I used were Honda filters, one was for Honda bikes, the other was for Honda cars, but so what. I did not take this photo, it was taken from this site and I have like so many people here used this filter on my bike. It is a relatively low quality filter.

ED0B6723-6467-4FA7-9221-C863E685C88B.jpeg

Last edited:

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
If Honda OEM isn't good enough then this here makes about as much sense as any that will be offered up.

Actually use a good oil that meets the recommendations of the owners manual and change it on time and the filter won't matter.
LOL..... the tissue industry is the one I work in. We have some awfully rough sandpaper like tissue we convert, so I'm sure it would make a great filtering media for another substance! :)

I agree with this statement 100% and that's exactly what I do!
Actually use a good oil that meets the recommendations of the owners manual and change it on time and the filter won't matter.

No manufacturer can make millions of filters and not have some defected ones get through their qualtiy control systems. You will have a problems with anything built, from every company.

Last edited:

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I'm sure the Honda OEM filters are fine but I use automotive filters that cross reference, and usually buy them at Walmart. I've used Purolator, Fram, SuperTech and possibly others. The Fram and SuperTech filters have the number 7317. Purolator is PL14610. It's the same filter for the 1300 and 1100. They may not perform better than OEM, but they are generally cheaper.

Top Bottom