Oil filter recommendations

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
This stuff is hilarious. When was the last time anyone heard, nevermind having actual proof, that any engine grenaded or even wore out early from cheap oil filters? I haven't heard it, or seen it. I have seen engines worn out from neglect, from NOT changing oil and filter. Just buy a filter from any of the big brands, they all will work. And use an oil that meets the specification, changed at a reasonable frequency. We should all be more concerned about getting out there and wearing out tires....
While I agree with most of your comments, I have seen an engine blown up because of a bad oil filter.
It was a HONDA Goldwing, with a chrome oil filter sold by the dealership etc. :rofl1:
The chrome filters were found to be defective.
Stuff happens.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
While I agree with most of your comments, I have seen an engine blown up because of a bad oil filter.
It was a HONDA Goldwing, with a chrome oil filter sold by the dealership etc. :rofl1:
Stuff happens.
And that is a one off anomaly that could happen to any filter manufacturer. Statistically, there are probably hundreds of blown engines from defective filters. But that isnt statistically significant with hundreds of millions of engines in service. Nothing is 100%.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
This stuff is hilarious. When was the last time anyone heard, nevermind having actual proof, that any engine grenaded or even wore out early from cheap oil filters? I haven't heard it, or seen it. I have seen engines worn out from neglect, from NOT changing oil and filter. Just buy a filter from any of the big brands, they all will work. And use an oil that meets the specification, changed at a reasonable frequency. We should all be more concerned about getting out there and wearing out tires....
I would have posted "like" since these are my exact thoughts, but I thought posting a reply would be a stronger way of agreeing.

Many years ago there was an ad for an oil (I don't remember which) where they said if we used their oil, they would guarantee the engine against "oil-related engine failure" I have never heard of an engine failure related to oil nor a failure related to choice of oil filter.

Now, maybe after hundreds of thousands of miles, there might be slight performance difference if cheap oil filters were used, but I have never heard anyone lament "oh, I wish I had used a better oil filter".

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Stuff happens.
But how would anyone know that a particular filter isn't good until AFTER the damage is done.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
And that is a one off anomaly that could happen to any filter manufacturer. Statistically, there are probably hundreds of blown engines from defective filters. But that isnt statistically significant with hundreds of millions of engines in service. Nothing is 100%.
Never implied it was, someone just made a comment asking if anyone had ever seen or hear about one, that’s all.

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Got to raise the BS flag on this.

If the story is even true it wasn’t a Honda branded filter but something aftermarket available to any retail dealer, motorcycle shop, or Wing specialty supplier like WingStuff.com. Or the owner could have bought it over the counter at Autozone etc. as both K & N and HiFlo sell chrome motorcycle oil filters in the corner auto parts store. Even Rock Auto sells the chrome K & N MC filter.

And what Goldwing owner installs a chrome oil filter? For the last 36 years the Wing hides the oil filter under the fairing lower cowl.
Why would you raise the BS flag on something you don't know is true or not???

The chances any of us suffering engine failure due to oil filter selection is so very small, it hardly warrants any afterthought. Please, lets act like adults and realize we all have different experiences and ideas about almost everything in life. Willingness to accept that fact makes us better people.

Bike
2008 ST1300
does anyone here believe oil must be changed every year
For reference, my winter is 6 months long and back when I had three bikes, I only put 4 or 5k miles on the ST(13) in 24 months. I had Blackstone run a used oil analysis on it at change (24 months within a couple of days). They said oil was still in good shape, could go the Honda 8k on that oil, even at my slow use rate.

M1 racing 4T and OEM filter.
I still change every 5k, which is typically once a season for me, but if the ST sees the back burner a bit, I'll let it go two years again.

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
Hi all ! . Looking for recommendations on oil filters. Factory is best or is there another type that performs better ? Thanks
And look what happens. Just because someone didn’t use a Honda branded filter. Sarcasm and insults as usual. Welcome to st-owners.com.

Off season, not here. The hope for any filter is flow. If it can't maintain flow then the bypass opens running unfiltered oil to them bearings, as long as the particulates are ohh 10 microns all is good. Carbon sludge is more common than metal particulates in fouling media...hopefully.

Bike
R1200rt
This is an old video but any specs provided are not found anywhere on a purolator oil filter box I have. It's good info anyway.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
Same reasoning in air filters in your house.
Folks buy the highest number to block pollen and stuff, and the air conditioner can’t handle it and you burn your motor out.
Most homes do better with the lower numbers, as the higher numbers were meant for hospitals and buildings with industrial strength systems.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Systems that have to filter out the smallest particles are two or three filter systems with separate filters in series. If only one filter is tasked to stop particles of 2-5 microns it will clog quickly but if a 20 or 40 micron prefilter is used to stop those big particles before going through a 5 micron polishing filter the polishing filter has a longer change interval before chance of clogging. These pre filters are commonly used in fuel systems of diesels and marine gasoline engines. Prefilter systems don’t apply here in this oil filter conversation but the concept is important to understand. Certain engine oil filter makers claim they filter 5 microns at 99% efficiency but this suggests a risk of clogging early and begin to bypass the filter media but if another filter incorporates media that stops “only” 40 microns but is paired with lubricant pump that moves the oil very quickly the particle capture rate over time hits the mark set by the OEM.

Bike
2006 ST 1300
Personally, I use WIX 57356 XP. Exact same filter for the bike. But it is an inch or so longer. So more filtration media. Plus the filter media is synthetic versus paper cellulose that is in the standard issue WIX filter for the bike. Look up the specs. on WIX wed site. Plus what all the 57356 XP filter fit. If it is specd. for a Honda Accord V/6 for 10k miles? Then is sure ought to be ok for the ST? If you're going to use synthetic lubricants? Why not use synthetic media filtration products?
I have no affiliation with WIX.

Top Bottom