Oil filter recommendations

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
...... but here suddenly only Honda’s mediocre filter, much like their branded oil also made by the lowest bidder will do.
I don't see where that was stated anywhere in this thread but if my response had anything to do with that sentiment it shouldn't. I professed my laziness in not wanting to bother researching what alternate filter is a good choice and stated that as a result I just use the Honda filter. This is not because I think that it is a superior filter to all others, just that I can't be bothered investing the time to find out about other filters.

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
In further effort to provide information as requested by the OP, I just cut this OEM Honda ST1300 filter open. It too has only partial cardboard end plates and the silicon anti-drain back valve is the very minimum required. Not exactly high quality and certainly not as good as other filters for less money. Seems the lowest bid won again.520FF55E-992D-4202-BD4B-34F97CFF913D.jpeg

Last edited:

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Not surprised. Gone are the days that a brand name always means top quality.

In further effort to provide information as requested by the OP, I just cut this OEM Honda ST1300 filter open. It too has only partial cardboard end plates and the silicon anti-drain back valve is the very minimum required. Not exactly high quality and certainly not as good as other filters for less money. Seems the lowest bid won again 520FF55E-992D-4202-BD4B-34F97CFF913D.jpeg

Last edited:
Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
Hopefully it still means that minimum quality requirements are being met at least.
With the constant drive for the cheapest cost and the highest profit I sometimes wonder about that too.
I have no doubt that both the Honda brand oil and filter meets the minimum requirements. And that’s ok, but is it worth the money. The super tech filter at Walmart is significantly better, easily available and cheap, as are many others.

Last edited:
Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
As for Supertech, the MP7317 in post 3, and as I mentioned in post 10, is not the same as the newest standard Supertech...... very cheaply made now due to a likely change of suppliers (Champion was taken over, they made the "good" ones back in the day). I've cutaway a number of filters, and this is the latest Supertech standard 6607...... 7317 is identical except is the long version.

Attachments

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
As for Supertech, the MP7317 in post 3, and as I mentioned in post 10, is not the same as the newest standard Supertech...... very cheaply made now due to a likely change of suppliers (Champion was taken over, they made the "good" ones back in the day). I've cutaway a number of filters, and this is the latest Supertech standard 6607...... 7317 is identical except is the long version.
So now I want to cut one open. A MP7317. Unless someone else does.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
So now I want to cut one open. A MP7317. Unless someone else does.
I look forward to it. Maybe you can be like the expert in the video linked and get to say with no reference to quantifiable data, “looky there, compared to the Honda filter it’s got a big spring in there” without regard for the bypass pressure the spring regulates and what bypass pressure Honda specifies. He uses the term quality several times but clearly has no apparent idea what it is. Videos with no quantitative data are worthless for anything other than bias confirmation and entertainment value. It’s ironic in this age of instant access to more information than ever we follow this sort of expert with a band saw and a camera.

Bike
2000 ST1100
This is somewhat related as to oem filter quality so I thought I'd give my observations. I am sorry if you guys have heard it before but here goes. My 85K 1100 has had only the oem Honda filter. No runs drips or errors. My 05 Toyota has a oem filter the same size and construction of the Honda filter. Made in Thailand. The car sits at 240K and has had that $ 4.00 filter installed at every oil change. Oem filters are filters you can trust. But we are free to use or experiment with whatever filter you want. No wrong or right about it.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
As for Supertech, the MP7317 in post 3, and as I mentioned in post 10, is not the same as the newest standard Supertech...... very cheaply made now due to a likely change of suppliers (Champion was taken over, they made the "good" ones back in the day).
This is an example of why I stated that I can't be bothered investing the time to determine what is an acceptable alternate to the OEM filter. I'm not going through this exercise, or researching if someone else has, every time that an aftermarket filter that I want to use has had changes made to it. That presumes of course that I know that there was a change that needs investigating, and I don't know how I would always know that.

The OEM filter can also be from a different supplier/manufacturer every time that I pick one up. The difference is that it doesn't matter because it will always meet Honda's specifications. Honda does the work for me. It's just easier.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Which are you saying is now/still the good one?

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
This stuff is hilarious. When was the last time anyone heard, nevermind having actual proof, that any engine grenaded or even wore out early from cheap oil filters? I haven't heard it, or seen it. I have seen engines worn out from neglect, from NOT changing oil and filter. Just buy a filter from any of the big brands, they all will work. And use an oil that meets the specification, changed at a reasonable frequency. We should all be more concerned about getting out there and wearing out tires....

Top Bottom