Out of Commission

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
So, after ten years, an injury that I got back in my 2008 motorcycle accident has come back to haunt me!

A couple of days before my trip to New Orleans (on Feb 26th), my back started being a pain again. This happens every now and then and after a few days it goes away.

Well, with the plane flights (luggage and plane seating) it kept hurting during the entire trip. The day after coming home, it was raining, so I drove in, but it was giving me fits the whole way in and back home. On Wednesday (the 28th) I jumped on the bike to come in and got all of 1/2 mile when I realized there was no way I could ride in, so I went back home, called in sick and went to the Doctor's. She said it was a muscle spasm and gave me some muscle relaxers. Well, by Friday, they didn't seem to be helping, so I found a Chiropractor and after feeling like a pretzel, I went home and took it easy the whole weekend, with another appointment on Monday (today) morning.

Well, obviously, it's going to take a few appointments to work this "rib" (he said it was a "ribhead" out of position) back in where it belongs! In the meantime, I'll be driving, since it is just too painful to ride, into work. :eek:4:

Oh joy! This traffic is bad enough on the bike, I hope I can last in the cage while my back heals! :(

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I can sympathize. Most of my major injury sites I have accumulated over my 67 years come awake when the barometric pressure drops right before a serious rain. Mostly joints but lately my muscular injuries have joined in. I've heard it gets worse from here?

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
hope you get well soon, Bob. Back in the '90s I had a back spasm (bent over wrong picking something up in the garage) and for a few days the only position that was comfortable was riding my FZR to work, in the crotch rocket riding position. Standing up was stiff and painful, but I could ride that bike all day if I wanted to.

Bike
'83 BMW R100RS
STOC #
I feel your pain Supra.

I smashed my patella (kneecap) on a concrete floor when I was 15 and it's been a struggle ever since and much worse over the last few months. I'm going on the list for a new knee at 60 (the $600 Man?) and so by this time next year, I should be OK - I hope. I could have it done much sooner, but I'd rather be convalescing during the winter non-riding months than over the summer. Oh well, you know what they say: growing old isn't for sissies.

I hope you're feeling better soon.

Pete

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Motels, airplanes, travel, etc. ... the worst. For me, the slight lean forward on the motorcycle often helps my situation, once/if I'm in good enough condition to even get on the motorcycle.. Hope yours heals soon.

Bike
2012 honda ST1300
STOC #
Bob I have had back problems most of my adult life. Back about 8 years ago I had a spell that put me down for a week and a half. My doctor gave me pills for the muscle spasm. It helped a little but the spasm would come and go. I decide that I had to do something different to get better. I started looking at inversion tables on the Web. There was only one place that had any on display in the Memphis area, so I had to go and try it. It hurt so bad to walk that I used a cane or walking stick to walk. They only had one on display and in took 7 working days to get one in. Dicks Sporting Goods let me try the Tetter Hang Up for about 5 minute, and I felt instant pain relief. I got off and then my wife got on. Then I got back on again for another 5 minutes. All the pain was gone. I talked the sales person into letting me buy the floor model. At the time it was the best model they carried but since it was used I got it at big discount. I could barely walk in without help but when I walked out I actually helped carry the Tetter Hang Up out and loaded it in the pickup. I get on it now about once a week and have not seen my doctor for my back since.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Good, maybe now I can reel in some miles on ya on the mileage tracker. Dang Californians get a jump on us midwest guys in Jan and Feb

I jest of course, hate to hear of anyone having back pain. There are 3 things I know of ya never want to have, Gout, kidney stones and recurring back pain. I've had all 3.. 2 of them last year!

Get well soon so you can keep racking up the ST miles.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Sorry to hear you're having back problems, Bob. Seems everyone I know has back pain now and then. Hope you get better soon.

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
I'll run a close third in recommending inversion table use. I purchased a Teeter off CraigsList because I didn't want to drop the cash to find out infomercials may not tell the whole truth. In this case, I was pleasantly surprised. Not only did I use it and did it help, I'm pretty fanatical about getting on it every day or two. I've been seeing chiropractors since a football injury in the mid 80's. Since the Teeter I only get a tune up from my chiro every couple months.

Another recommendation would be to see a massage therapist. I found that displaced vertebra or misalignment was best manipulated by a chiro. Muscle spasms I go to a massage therapist and have them spend time on the back and concentrate on the area. A good one can find the muscle, isolate it, and get it to relax. It won't stay relaxed, but the longer you can avoid aggravating it, resulting in it tightening back up, the better it will get. I can usually get through muscle spasms in 3 or 4 visits.

In bad circumstances, I'll see a massage therapist to relax the muscle to allow the chiro to adjust it correctly. The existing problem is that the back spasm is pulling what the chiro put back in right back out as it tightens.

Besides... are you sure this isn't just a reaction from the embarrassment of dropping your steed? (laff)

In all seriousness, I ended up purchasing the higher end Teeter unit eventually and love it! The slightly more expensive one has the controls that lock in your foot on an extended arm so you can reach it without bending over. Key if you have back pain.

Fly up... you can try out mine...

Bike
VStrom 650
Supra, sorry to hear your woes. Bad backs are not funny, especially when it's your own.
I know this won't help, but, like a previous post, even when mine plays up pretty bad the bike is the comfiest place.
The physio terrorist will sort you out I'm sure.
Upt'North.

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
+10 on the inversion.....
I too have had a rib pop out.....not fun. Try a table if you can find one. Does wonders for me.

Doesn't hurt that I am married to a massage therapist either.........:bow1:

ToddC

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Hey guys, thanks for the comments and suggestions.

Back in 2008, just five or so weeks after my accident, Byron & I rode out to WeSTOC 2008 in Taos NM. I had a similar issue (very sore in the same spot), and I wore a back brace around my chest so I could ride.

Unfortunately, it's a bit worse and it's all I can do to "drive" into work, much less ride the bike. Any forward sitting pretty much sends me through the roof! :eek:4:

Hopefully I'll be back to normal in a week or so, if not I'll probably go nuts having to put up with these cagers out here! :(

Dale_I

Incorrigible Idealist
Site Supporter
Bike
08 FJR1300/01 ST1100
2024 Miles
STOC #
Hopefully I'll be back to normal in a week or so, if not I'll probably go nuts having to put up with these cagers out here! :(
I hear it's acceptable practice in So Cal to just carry an Uzi and shoot the slower moving vehicles out of your way... just sayin' it may be worth a try...
:smrtcar1::rocket1:

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
I've learned, at my now advanced age, that you never really get over an injury, you collect them. They may go dormant for a while, but they seem to come back eventually. Hope you feel better soon Bob.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
My saga continues! :eek:4:

So after 6 treatments from the Chiropractor, and my index finger and thumb going numb on my right hand, I found a Dr. that did a ultrasound scan on my shoulder and back. He determined that my "Ribhead" is NOT out of position, and that my problems are from nerve issues.

So yesterday he injected my nerves and expected all my hurting to go away. I think it stopped about 10% of the hurting, but my righthand is still the same and I'm still dying from my back hurting! My next appointment with him is next Wednesday. And He'll try again! :eek:4:

It took me two and a half hours to get into work this morning! :nuke1:

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
My saga continues! :eek:4:

So after 6 treatments from the Chiropractor, and my index finger and thumb going numb on my right hand, I found a Dr. that did a ultrasound scan on my shoulder and back. He determined that my "Ribhead" is NOT out of position, and that my problems are from nerve issues.

So yesterday he injected my nerves and expected all my hurting to go away. I think it stopped about 10% of the hurting, but my righthand is still the same and I'm still dying from my back hurting! My next appointment with him is next Wednesday. And He'll try again! :eek:4:

It took me two and a half hours to get into work this morning! :nuke1:
Time to retire Bob....!!! Find a nice little place.....buy a bunch of STs........and grin all day long. That stress will go away....and the pain too.

Just my two cents.....:)

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Sorry to hear about this Bob! All those bikes passing by your drivers door on the interstate is going to be the worst! I just got back from the dr's office with my neck injury and he is referring me back to the surgeon... Not good!

Top Bottom