Out of Commission

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Bob maybe I missed it in the thread but do they know what the physical issues is? C4 C5 sort a sound like suspects with the numb finger. The usual play book is a worthless x-ray the insurance company insists on then a scan to look at the soft tissue. Good luck with getting it squared away.

Bike
2004 ST1300 ABS
I jumped on the 2004#2 on Saturday and was able to get about 1.5 miles away when I had to turn back. My right lower arm and shoudler were hurting too much! :eek:4:

I have another appt on Wednesday, but I'm not sure if this doctor will be able to do much more!

It just might take some time to heal...whatever it is that needs healing! :eek:4:
I had constant right arm and shoulder pain a while back. It took six very long months to diagnose. Found a young, really smart, new primary care doctor who spent a long time asking questions and subsequently recommended an MRI. The MRI showed a severe herniated disk (C4 - C5) and discectomy / fusion surgery a few months later completely solved this issue. Good luck with your issue and don't feel the need to stick with your current healthcare providers.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Saw the Doc today, he treated my shoulder and arm.

I just got through riding 25 miles because my arm was feeling much better (even before I saw the Doc! :hat3:

My neck and upper shoulders are a little sore, but I haven't ridden in over a month, so it's all those muscles having to get strong again! :D

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Saw the Doc today, he treated my shoulder and arm.
I just got through riding 25 miles because my arm was feeling much better (even before I saw the Doc!
My neck and upper shoulders are a little sore, but I haven't ridden in over a month, so it's all those muscles having to get strong again!
Brilliant news. Take it steady - don't do so much so that you have to do the return journey in pain.

I did my first decent ride this year a couple of days ago - not because of pain, but because of the weather and grotty, gritted, salty road surface. These days I have the choice, but its nearly April, and I'm still not on the mileage tracker. It was good to be riding again.

Bike
ST1100X
STOC #
I had over 30 years of lower back trouble. Chiro/physio/massage/injections all helped a little. But when I found a stiff/sore shoulder exercise - just reaching/stretching above my head, one arm, then the other, (like punching an overhead balloon!) was easing my back too, it became something I did at least twice a day. Just 75 - 100 stretches takes around 2-3 minutes and my back has never felt so good for years.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I had over 30 years of lower back trouble. Chiro/physio/massage/injections all helped a little. But when I found a stiff/sore shoulder exercise - just reaching/stretching above my head, one arm, then the other, (like punching an overhead balloon!) was easing my back too, it became something I did at least twice a day. Just 75 - 100 stretches takes around 2-3 minutes and my back has never felt so good for years.
That's good to hear.

My issue apparently is due to nerve damage that I encountered from a MC accident 8 years ago. Anytime I said something to my regular doctor, he would just ignore me. Well, this last bout I had with it wasn't going away at all. When I saw my reg dr, muscle spams and some muscle relaxer. When it wasn't going away, I went to a Choripractor, and he did more damage than good. I was told of the dr I went to yesterday about two weeks ago and the first visit was questionable, but the second visit addressed the back pain. And then with yesterday's visit, he hit some areas that the Chiropractor damaged and now my should and arm seems to be working well. As for my hand, We just might wait to see if that improves.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
My issue apparently is due to nerve damage that I encountered from a MC accident 8 years ago. Anytime I said something to my regular doctor, he would just ignore me. Well, this last bout I had with it wasn't going away at all. When I saw my reg dr, muscle spams and some muscle relaxer. When it wasn't going away, I went to a Choripractor, and he did more damage than good. I was told of the dr I went to yesterday about two weeks ago and the first visit was questionable, but the second visit addressed the back pain. And then with yesterday's visit, he hit some areas that the Chiropractor damaged and now my should and arm seems to be working well. As for my hand, We just might wait to see if that improves.
+1 on Dr. apathy--mine subscribed X-rays [should be MRIs at this point!], muscle relaxants, and pain meds... multiple instances over recent years.

+2 on Dr and Chiropractor and Physical Therapist blaming each other and claiming they're addressing what other messed up or didn't understand! I've seen that for both me and wife. I'm now on a Pain Management Plan at work, and the assigned PT 'expert' says all the prior visits were a waste and that he'll get my problems resolved. And each believes themselves. Scary.

Hope yours works out soon Bob.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
+1 on Dr. apathy--mine subscribed X-rays [should be MRIs at this point!], muscle relaxants, and pain meds... multiple instances over recent years.

+2 on Dr and Chiropractor and Physical Therapist blaming each other and claiming they're addressing what other messed up or didn't understand! I've seen that for both me and wife. I'm now on a Pain Management Plan at work, and the assigned PT 'expert' says all the prior visits were a waste and that he'll get my problems resolved. And each believes themselves. Scary.

Hope yours works out soon Bob.
Thanks!

Yeah, I can blame the Chriopractor for the shoulder/arm/hand issues...they were not issues when I first saw him, but because issues after the thrid visit to him! :eek:4:

The doc I saw yesterday is not blaming anyone, but has fixed everything but my hand. Trust me, I was in so much pain a month ago, I couldn't ride, and driving the cage was very painful, but i had no choice! :eek:4:

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
So I went and mowed the back lawn yesterday, which might have been a BIG mistake! :doh1:

Riding in this morning, my back started hurting again, then once I got into work, my right shoulder was giving some fits! :hurt1:

I took some Motrin :rx1: and by noon I went out for lunch and didn't feel anything.

We'll see tonight, on the ride home! :eek:4:

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Hope you get back to riding soon Bob, you've given me enough time to almost catch you on the mileage tracker. Lol

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just to follow up on this thread, I saw the Dr. one last time, last week. I had some neck pain, which he took care of. He tried to get the numbness out of my right index finger and thumb, but no dice. Guess I'll just live with it! :eek:4:

But at least I've been on the bike for my commuting and I have even made a couple of trips (by cage) up to Cedar City, over 400 miles away, and everything is doing great!

So, hopefully, I won’t have to go back anytime soon! And I can just keep riding! :D

Last edited:

SmashVol

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
Good to hear and hope that somehow the rest will get better. Glad you are better than that mess you were going through earlier.

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Bob, I can totally relate. I've had chronic back problems for close to 18 years. I was a gymnast in high school and college and my back took a pretty good beating. Between that and old age, I've got more "stuff" going on in my back than you can shake a stick at. I've just wrapped up a 10 week session of PT where we're really focused on increasing flexibility and core strength. While I'll never be 100%, I'm definitely feeling (and moving) a whole heck of a lot better.

Good luck.

John

Top Bottom