SupraSabre

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Time to retire Bob....!!! Find a nice little place.....buy a bunch of STs........and grin all day long. That stress will go away....and the pain too.

Just my two cents.....:)
Yeah, but you have to have a retirement to rely on...which I don't have. :eek:4:

Sorry to hear about this Bob! All those bikes passing by your drivers door on the interstate is going to be the worst! I just got back from the dr's office with my neck injury and he is referring me back to the surgeon... Not good!
That's not good to hear Vinny! Let's hope the surgeon can get it right the first time! :eek:4:

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
Had back surgery back in '95. Herniated and ruptured disk, L4/L5 if that matters. Could barely walk for 6 months prior. The spasms were horrendous! Back muscles go into spasm to protect the spine. Had surgery and played golf a month later like nothing ever happened. Yes, my golf game still sucked. ;)

Learn to be "back conscious". Lift with your knees, don't bend forward too far, etc. but the best thing you can do is stretch! Every morning even before you get out of bed. It will help a lot as you get older. Good luck healing.

BTW... the muscle relaxers (cyclobenzaprine I think) made me a zombie. When I say relaxed... I mean RELAXED.

DavidR8

Site Supporter
Bike
2013 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Ugh... I'm totally with you Bob.

My back has endured a steady stream of abuse from too much physical labour and too much sitting as a desk jockey. Now there's a dull pain all the time.
The inversion table idea is intriguing because when I did see a chiro, the traction table thingy was my favourite part.
Hmm me thinks...

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
Sorry you are in pain, Bob. Backs are rather unforgiving.

For years I have suffered with back pains which I know are caused by a couple of my discs between the lower vetibrae providing no cushioning. (They've gone - exceeded their 4mm wear limit or something). Result is the sciatic nerve gets tweaked occasionally, and throws my back into spasm. And it gets worse as time goes on, as I try to compensate for the pain.

Recently, I went to a physiotherapist who did a few investigations as to what was really hurting and what was causing it. She pummelled me and stretched out various muscles, and over the weeks I have grown taller again, I am able to stand upright, and the pain is much less of an issue. All of that helped, but the real benefit was a series of small, but significant exercise, all to do with strengthening various muscles which had become lazy, and were not supporting me as they should.

Do these every hour - she said. 10 of these, 10 of those etc etc. And they were simple things.

It wasn't my intention to relate my own story - but I was absolutely gobsmacked that something that I knew was caused by physical damage - (the collapsed discs) - could be treated so effectively by getting my muscles working to support my back better than they had been.

Bike
2006 Honda st1300
Sorry to hear you are having back problems. My chiropractor is a blessing. I've been seeing him for 12 years now once a month. There would be no way I could ride without getting adjusted every now and then. He doesn't do manual adjustments. He uses the actuator method. It's a little machine that he uses that gives a subtle electronic pressure on the joint to put it back in. And it works awesome.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Sorry to hear of the ongoing difficulties. Losing 5+ hours of your day to traffic every day doesn't help, I'm sure.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
BTW... the muscle relaxers (cyclobenzaprine I think) made me a zombie. When I say relaxed... I mean RELAXED.
Yeah, after two hours + in the cage to work, I take the pain killer, and the muscle relaxer and then wait for them to hit. Then to help me function, I grab a 5Hour. By the time I head home, the effects are pretty much gone. Then the 2.5 hour trip home, I do it again, without the 5hour.

I'm hoping by next week I won't have to keep up this routine! :eek:4:

Bike
VStrom 650
All of that helped, but the real benefit was a series of small, but significant exercise, all to do with strengthening various muscles which had become lazy, and were not supporting me as they should.

Do these every hour - she said. 10 of these, 10 of those etc etc.
Thanks Heathy, I will try to remember my inner muscle exercises, I can't remember the last time I did them, but they do help. I fractured my L4 in 2000, yes a motorcycle was involved, but you already knew that! Thanks for the prompt.
Upt'North.

Bike
05 ST1300 abs
Bob,

If you do not have a disc problem or spinal stenosis you may want to consider finding a good physical therapist.

If you decide to do this, get evaluated & start on the PT's recommended stretching & strengthening exercises.

Physical therapy science has improved dramatically in the last 10 years. If you stick w/ the program, you will be amazed at the results.

There is a downside however.....plan on doing the exercises regularly for the rest of your life.

Good luck w/ your recovery,

Jack

Bike
2005 st1300
I am recovering from back surgery I had in January and if I can offer any advise, it is to get as many opinions as you can. My doctor yeah-yeahed me for 3 years. My chiropractor, who is really good, told me he suspected what the issue was and if he was right, there was nothing he could do and insisted that I push my doctor for referral to a neurosurgeon. My chiropractor was right and I feel better than I have in years. Good luck and I hope you find relief soon.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Good news! I had my second session with the "pain" Dr yesterday and my back is really feeling good! I'm still having a few muscle spasms, and my index finger and palm just below it are still numb, but overall I'm doing so much better today! I'm hoping I can ride by next week.

:hat3:

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Thanks everyone!

My shoulder/back/arm are all doing better. The hand not so much, but I just have to take it easy and not over do anything to cause it all to come back! :eek:4:

I'm hoping to hope on the bike a little later today for a "test" run to see how things do.

OP
OP
SupraSabre

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I jumped on the 2004#2 on Saturday and was able to get about 1.5 miles away when I had to turn back. My right lower arm and shoudler were hurting too much! :eek:4:

I have another appt on Wednesday, but I'm not sure if this doctor will be able to do much more!

It just might take some time to heal...whatever it is that needs healing! :eek:4:

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Tough being off the bike when you are used to riding everyday. Hang in there Bob, it has to get better.

Top Bottom