Possible bearing failure??

Byron

STOC #
Are you getting any sound or rough feel from the front wheel?

It is possibly just spinning off excess grease from the last time the wheel was serviced. Mine look like that from time to time as I like to use lots of grease. I figure it will keep out water better and I'd prefer a little mess to a rusted bearing.

I'd say wipe if down and continue to ride if there is no noise or roughness in the wheel.

OP
OP
skipcurt

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Are you getting any sound or rough feel from the front wheel?

It is possibly just spinning off excess grease from the last time the wheel was serviced. Mine look like that from time to time as I like to use lots of grease. I figure it will keep out water better and I'd prefer a little mess to a rusted bearing.

I'd say wipe if down and continue to ride if there is no noise or roughness in the wheel.
Byron-the wheel hasn't been serviced anytime recently. I noticed it last weekend before my ride home from work. I suppose I could try the wipe it down and see if it re-appears method before taking on the task. I'm just afraid to be riding down the road and the front wheel seizes up or something horrible like that.
So I have to get the Harbor Freight set and a torque wrench. Anything else?

Skip

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
torque wrench. Anything else?
A good set of metric wrenches, metric allens and a torque wrench will prob handle all of NORMAL mantainance... more tools as u get more into the engine ( like valve adjusts, etc )

Anything serious you could prob tell by jacking up front, and releasing brake pads, then spining tires.... you could prob feel it with no load on the rim/tire. But the best would be to drop the wheel , stick in you finger and actually feel the bearing. If it feels like sand in it and not completely smooth , its a replacement time.

OP
OP
skipcurt

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
never have, as stated the pinch bolts are enough.... Besides, you have to follow pinch bolt/axle routine to make sure the forks align properly ( no pulling to right )... so your going to tighten the pinch bolts and loosen them anyway...re below

(Note: Axle pinch bolts are finger loose at this point)

1. Tighten the left axle pinch bolts to 22 N-m (2.2 kgf-m, 16 lbf-ft)
Note: Indication of “Left” is if you were sitting on bike
2. Tighten Axle Bolt to 79 N-m (8.1 kgf-m, 58 lbf-ft)
3. Tighten the right axle pinch bolts to 22 N-m (2.2 kgf-m, 16 lbf-ft)
4. Now loosen the left axle pinch bolts
5. Note: During the assembly process, this is where you would be installing the brake calipers.
6. Set the bike down where the bike's weight is on the wheels. Lock the front brake and push the suspension up and down several times.
7. Tighten the left axle pinch bolts to 22 N-m (2.2 kgf-m, 16 lbf-ft)
Tom, you've stated the process for left and right pinch bolts and for #3 (axle bolt). Does the 58 lbf-ft go for both left and right axle bolt?

Skip

v8-7

Site Supporter
It's one bolt to torque to 58 lbs .

Instead of buying the 1/2 in torque wrench, you could just buy a 1/2 to 3/8 adapter .

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
Or you can buy a more expensive electronic torque wrench from Sears for about $120 that goes 5-80 lbs-ft, which will cover almost all of what you'll use it for and is easy to set and has more accurate settings and will last forever. Still less than you'd pay a dealer to do it wrong.

I use a 3/8" but have adapters to use it with 1/2" or 1/4" sockets as well.

OP
OP
skipcurt

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Alright, so I'm going to do the hex set on my post #26, the adapters from V8-7's post #29 and this torque wrench to cover the 5-80 ft-lbs. That should get it done.

Do think there is any real value to ceramic bearings from CBR Bearings as others have posted about? Are they that superior to OEM bearings? Big price difference? What about the All Balls bearings? Any experience?
Tom Mac's bearing post here.
Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.

Skip

Last edited:

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Do think there is any real value to ceramic bearings from CBR Bearings as others have posted about? Are they that superior to OEM bearings? Big price difference? What about the All Balls bearings? Any experience?
Tom Mac's bearing post here.
Skip.. I don't believe you can use ceramic bearing for the ST ... wrong type of load/spec requirement.
You ( if needed ) can either get them from many of the OEM parts dealers OR CBR Bearings.
(BTW, the pic of bearing from my thread was the rear flange bearing , not front )

Don't let this possible repair drive you crazy... its not a hard job to do. This may be as simple as a seal on that side which requires a screwdriver to pop out and small mallet/hammer and piece of wood to knock back in.
If it is the bearing, just take it slow and ask for help, take pics if you can.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
left and right pinch bolts and for #3 (axle bolt). Does the 58 lbf-ft go for both left and right axle bolt?
Only one side has the nut to be tourqued... the other side should fit flush into the left fork.

( and I know this isn't right per mother H , but I never use a torque wrench on the pich bolts... Just sort of two fingers on the handle tight....I know I'm bad! )

OP
OP
skipcurt

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
I should order parts# 20 & 21 right? I'm going to get them for both sides since it'll be off anyway. How 'bout #7 (collar)? See any reason to replace that item?
BTW- I picked up all the necessary tools yesterday at Harbor Freight (of course, a few other small items as well!) and it all cost $28 and change. I had a coupon for 20% off an item and a sale coupon on the torque wrench. The way I see it, if it works only for this repair, it's paid for itself.

Skip

OP
OP
skipcurt

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Skip.. I don't believe you can use ceramic bearing for the ST ... wrong type of load/spec requirement.
You ( if needed ) can either get them from many of the OEM parts dealers OR CBR Bearings.
(BTW, the pic of bearing from my thread was the rear flange bearing , not front )
I thought CBR Bearings only dealt in ceramic bearings?

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Skip, did you confirm that it is not a leaking front fork seal? (It looks like a failed front axle bearing/seal to me, but just worth making sure.) To check, run your fingers around the circumference of the lower fork tube and see if there is any oily trail running down--if leaking, the small stream of fluid most often is on the rear and sightly inside and you'd find a continuous slimy streak from the top of the fork tube to the bottom.

No CBR does not deal only in ceramic...they have ceramic for a few applications.

OP
OP
skipcurt

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
When installing the new bearings, does it need to have any type of special lubricant/grease in there with it?
BTW-the fork seals look fine in regards to anything leaking down the backside.

Skip

Last edited:

Two Brothers

Walking, Talking, and Smiling!
When installing the new bearings, does it need to have any type of special lubricant/grease in there with it?
BTW-the fork seals look fine in regards to anything leaking down the backside.

Skip
Hey Skip sorry I just got wind of this. Did you get the bearings? I think I have some at the shop but won't be in until a little later. Let me know.

OP
OP
skipcurt

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Hey Skip sorry I just got wind of this. Did you get the bearings? I think I have some at the shop but won't be in until a little later. Let me know.
I haven't yet Tim. I was going to call the Honda shops to see if they have them and how much and then I was going to call CBR and find out how much better theirs are and their price as well. They're on the west coast so I can't call them until 11 or 12.

Skip

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
Skip - I would save yourself money, time and aggrevation and just take it to Tim. At least you'll know it will be done correctly the first time. He's probably cheaper, too and it will be done right.

Top Bottom