prostate cancer forum

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Because most of the members here are men and many of those are in that "certain age", and as I just recently got intimately familiar with prostate cancer, I thought I'd start a forum here to discuss diagnosing, treating, and experiences our members have had with prostate cancer. I have attached a PDF describing some of the statistics which recently showed up in my paper, and I expect many other papers around the nation.

I'll start with my own experience.

about 19 years ago, I went in for a routine physical where my doctor detected a small lump on the prostate. The following biopsy showed it to be PIN (prostatic intra-epithelial neoplasia) or a low-grade cancer, so low some don't even consider it cancer. I think the PSA was a little elevated. Subsequent biopsies failed to find even that. Since I was now under the care of a urologist, we did a little more PSA testing than a primary care physician might (more on that later). After a particularly bad case of prostatitis, another biopsy also proved negative for cancer. PSAs went up and down but never seemed too concerning.

About three years ago, I was diagnosed with bladder cancer, so had to see the urologist frequently. His approach at the time was to scrape and watch. About every 18 months after that he would detect a new growth and scrape it out. We had been monitoring the PSA about every 6 months. The last PSA test showed higher elevation than before, but still only in the 8 range (0-4 is considered normal, but cancer can develop even in that range and higher levels don't necessarily mean cancer). The next step is now an MRI of the prostate, a relatively new test that can show suspicious areas to direct the biopsy needle. It came back showing multiple suspicious areas on both sides of the prostate. Subsequent biopsy showed a moderately advanced cancer (Gleason 7 (4+3)). Time to decide what I wanted to do, with his input. I was thinking of starting with radiation. Who really wants surgery if it can be avoided? Off to a radiation oncologist. He felt that the particular location of the cancer would not lend itself to either external or internal radiation, and that radiation first could make it difficult for any subsequent surgery, as well as treating the bladder cancer. So my urologist referred me to the state university hospital.

The university urologist really wanted to get on top of the bladder cancer first, as he felt that was the most threatening to life, so he put me on Lupron, an injectable anti-testosterone. Since prostate cancer seems to thrive in the presence of androgens, giving a blocker usually really puts the brakes on the cancer. One (painful) injection lasts about three months. We did that for 6 months while he worked on the bladder cancer. We're not done with the bladder yet, but he felt it was slowed down enough that he could address the prostate. So, 6 days ago, I went in for a prostatectomy. Typically, with the robotic surgery they do now, they expect a one-night stay then discharge. Unfortunately, I was one of about 1-2% of patients who developed post-op bleeding. I wasn't bleeding out, but, rather, internally, around the operative site, detected by a steep drop in my hemoglobin, from 14.7 pre-op to 10.3 soon after surgery. In the next couple days it got down to 7.4. So about half my blood went into a hematoma around the operative site. I actually didn't feel too bad, but I was in bed most of the time. The feeling was that the blood clot would eventually tamponade the bleeding, and would eventually reabsorb, and any surgical intervention would be problematic. Finally they gave me one unit of blood, and I left the hospital with a hemoglobin of 8.6. What was to have been an overnight stay was actually four nights. I can certainly feel the anemia, but I expect it to slowly pick up. The hematoma is starting to break down, and the blood is flowing along tissue planes out to the skin where it presents as a huge bruise on my left torso, and now starting on my abdomen and right torso.

My biopsy showed, actually, no cancer. At least none that they could detect. According to my doctor, the Lupron changes the cancer so that they resemble more normal cells. That's also the reason he had to sacrifice the neuro-vascular bundles alongside the prostate, as he couldn't be sure where any cancer stopped. These items help post-op incontinence and erections.

So I'm home with a catheter to protect the anastomosis of the urethra to the bladder. It comes out next week when they'll do a cystogram to be sure there are no leaks. Then it's probably going to be Depends for a while until I can get the continence back, maybe as long as a year.

The PSA test is an imperfect test for screening for prostate cancer, but it's the best we have at the moment. When it first came out, everyone was excited. We were encouraging every man over 50 to get tested every year. Gradually they discovered that perhaps we were doing more harm than good. They were picking up lot of tiny cancers that they felt were destined to not go anywhere, so the doctors were causing more morbidity by pursuing biopsy and surgery than by leaving them alone. There's growing movement to use "Active Surveillance" to follow small cancers, but that does mean repeated biopsies. The MRI may help change that a bit.

It will be useful to hear first-hand experiences of other members wha have or are going through prostate cancer.

Attachments

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Best of luck to Bill.

I'm going to offer a bit of "preventative maintenance" information on this topic, which may, or may not, help prevent older gents from having this problem. One thing - zinc supplements may reduce your chances of getting cancer there, but studies have also shown that the prostate needs to be exercised about - wait for it .. . . 21 times a month, in order to stay in healthy condition.

Now go and tell your wife about this.

Last edited:
Best of luck to Bill.

I'm going to offer a bit of "preventative maintenance" information on this topic, which may, or may not, help prevent older gents from having this problem. One thing - zinc supplements may reduce your chances of getting cancer there, but studies have also shown that the prostate needs to be exercised about - wait for it .. . . 21 times a month, in order to stay in healthy condition.

Now go and tell your wife about this.
Anyone facing this should investigate HIFU High Frequency Ultrasound. https://www.uclahealth.org/urology/prostate-cancer/hifu

Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
I have been dealing with this for the past two years. My PSA was high at an annual check-up, I don't remember what it was, 9 or 10, as I recall. My primary referred me to a urologist, he checked the PSA again and it was still a 9, so he scheduled me for a biopsy immediately. I might add that was no fun, i.e. a real PITA! The biopsy came back as a really aggressive form of cancer, so the urologist referred me to a surgeon. Since this was in March of 20 and the hospitals were limiting surgeries, I didn't expect to get anything scheduled during the pandemic. To my surprise, I was scheduled for surgery (robotic) on April 13. They removed the prostate and 7 lymph nodes, 2 were infected. I spent 3 days in the hospital and was sent home with the signature catheter on the 4th day. I had to wear it for 7 days and then it was removed and the leak test was done. The surgeon did a urine test when the catheter was removed and my PSA was less than 0.01. I had a follow-up appt in 3 months and the PSA was still at the original point. The next follow-up 3 months later showed it growing again and the PSA at 0.02, I believe. It was determined at that point that radiation treatment was in my future. I was referred to a radiation oncologist. I was scheduled for 39 treatments beginning in March of this year and finishing up in May. I had to take some pills for two weeks prior to starting my radiation treatments, I don't know what they were, but then the Lupron shots began. I am getting ready for my 4th one of those this month. The Lupron shots are HELL and really debilitating, they sap one's energy and stamina, to say the least. So much so that I am considering not taking any more of them. My last PSA was less than 0.01 which was the same as following the surgery. The shots have curtailed most of my activities including most of my MC riding and that's not a good thing. The good thing is no incontinence from the beginning. I feel ok except for the side effects of the hormone shots. Just no energy and many hot flashes. My SO thinks it's funny, I don't!

Last edited:
OP
OP
docw1

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Anyone facing this should investigate HIFU High Frequency Ultrasound. https://www.uclahealth.org/urology/prostate-cancer/hifu

You have to look closely, but the article states:
in late 2015 the FDA approved the first ultrasound system for the ablation of prostate tissue in the United States. This is for removal of prostate tissue, not necessarily treatment of prostate cancer. It may well work for certain grades of cancer, but there is not a lot of data as far as the long-term result.

OP
OP
docw1

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I didn't notice much loss of energy from the Lupron, but I certainly did get a lot of hot flashes. I think my breasts grew a bit also. Also I blame it for gaining weight (at least it's a good target)

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Just a word to say how I am impressed and thankful to all you for starting this thread.
In my case for now, I don't have anything really valuable to report.
65 years old, enlarged prostate since I was 35 and I have to deal with prostatitis twice a years in average.
I had one biopsy 10 years ago and it was a pita and nothing concerning was found at this time.
My PSA is very high sometimes (12) and 9+ on average. I refuse to get under biopsy again especially when knowing that is it doing more harm than good.
I am concerned about taking antibiotic so often, how long are they going to work?
I went under a cystoscopy recently and my bladder looked fine.
What is hidden, what are the side effect of being so anxious about cancer, should I go again under some kind of invasive procedure?
Finding people open to talk about that is priceless and more than helpful!

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Well I'm on the run again, with 2 jobs at "local" restaurants, one being 50 miles away.
I was in for my first prostate exam in a while, this past September, and he did some biopsies during the exam.
Early signs of cancer, Gleason 3/4, so no emergency.
Surgery scheduled for 11/12, so I'll be following this thread. With more later.

Last edited:

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
Well I'm on the run again, with 2 jobs at "local" restaurants, one being 50 miles away.
I was in for my first prostate exam in a while, this past September, and he did some biopsies during the exam.
Early signs of cancer, Gleason 3/4, so no emergency.
Surgery scheduled for 11/22, so I'll be following this thread. With more later.
Best of luck to you!

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I started having elevated PSA readings about 20-25 years ago, so my urologist suggested a biopsy because I was fairly young (~40) and cancer was enough of a concern at that age that they wanted to be on top of it. First biopsy was negative, and my PSA kept climbing gradually over the years so over about a 10 year period I had two more biopsies, both negative. In the last few years my PSA has been climbing again, from the mid-teens up to a max of 29.0 during the past summer. Its in the low-20s now. My urologist suggested an MRI this time, and that came up negative, so its watch and wait. After over 20 years of seeing the lack of correlation between PSA and cancer I'm becoming numb to it, but I do realize it catches some cancers so that's a good thing. Its just unfortunate that its such a bad predictor and guys like me have had to suffer through multiple un-necessary biopsies because of it.

At 64 I asked the urologist if I get the non-agressive form of prostate cancer at my age do we just ignore it because I'll probably die from something else before it kills me, and he said because I'm otherwise perfectly healthy, he'd wait until I'm 75 before he'd ignore any cancer we might detect. He also said my prostate size is in the 99th percentile, so that's why my PSA numbers are so damn high.

rwthomas1

Site Supporter
Bike
'01 ST1100 non-ABS
Not me, but my father. His PSA was 9-10, they did a biopsy and found aggressive cancer. They implanted little gold "targets" and he had "proton beam" radiation for several weeks. Total success, PSA now under 2 and all the other tests coming back negative. That was 2 yrs ago.

RT

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Your post describe my situation very closely, are you subject to prostatitis, how often?
Thanks!
I'm not sure exactly how to answer that, since there are many different symptoms of prostatitis, but I'll tell you what applies to my condition.

For years I've had to get up several times a night to pee, usually every hour or so, sometimes a little longer. Since I have the ability to put my head on the pillow and fall asleep immediately, that wasn't a big deal to me so I just lived with it. My urination rate was typically slow, but steady, so I had no other real symptoms to deal with.

this last year I've had two occasions where my urine flow stopped completely and I had to go to the hospital/urgent care and have a catheter inserted. I also had a couple near events that cleared on their own where I could barely pee, but a little came out each time. I'm now on Flowmax, which has helped a lot with the nightly urges. I sometimes go all night without waking up, and usually only wake once, and occasionally twice, so its been a big improvement, and my flow is much better as well.

What I learned though is all those years of just putting up with the symptoms took its toll on my bladder. They scoped it and found no cancer, but it was damaged from all the strain put on it over the years. I'm not sure if that damage is reversible, time will tell. They say they don't know if it will get better, but it might, and its current condition isn't cause for alarm but they don't want it to get worse. If I'd have known years ago that I was doing damage to my bladder I'd have gone for the Flowmax earlier, but it has some side effects that you can read about online.

OldWingit

Ed Wing
Bike
ST1300
At 87 now I have survived prostate cancer for 12 years. At 75 my PSA went up to 5 after always being low. my GP sent me to a urologist and my Gleason was a very bad 9 4/5. He said I was not a candidate for the knife but I needed radiation. I had a friend who needed radiation and he raved about Loma Linda U. Medical Center in So. Ca. which had the first hospital cycletron where they split a hydrogen atom and only the proton part is used for very accurate radiation. I had to be on the Lupron for three months before starting treatment, it took about three months of five treatments per week to complete. Being retired we just lived in our motor home nearby. They treat about 120 cases a day and there were men from all over the country there. I felt great the whole time but had to stay on the Lupron for two years because of my very aggressive cancer and that made me feel weak. My PSA has stayed at .05 which is very good for radiation. I call BS about this newer trend of ,don't bother taking your annual PSA test because I would have been dead years ago and missed out of many more years riding my ST1300! Ed Wing

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I'm not sure exactly how to answer that, since there are many different symptoms of prostatitis, but I'll tell you what applies to my condition.

For years I've had to get up several times a night to pee, usually every hour or so, sometimes a little longer. Since I have the ability to put my head on the pillow and fall asleep immediately, that wasn't a big deal to me so I just lived with it. My urination rate was typically slow, but steady, so I had no other real symptoms to deal with.

this last year I've had two occasions where my urine flow stopped completely and I had to go to the hospital/urgent care and have a catheter inserted. I also had a couple near events that cleared on their own where I could barely pee, but a little came out each time. I'm now on Flowmax, which has helped a lot with the nightly urges. I sometimes go all night without waking up, and usually only wake once, and occasionally twice, so its been a big improvement, and my flow is much better as well.

What I learned though is all those years of just putting up with the symptoms took its toll on my bladder. They scoped it and found no cancer, but it was damaged from all the strain put on it over the years. I'm not sure if that damage is reversible, time will tell. They say they don't know if it will get better, but it might, and its current condition isn't cause for alarm but they don't want it to get worse. If I'd have known years ago that I was doing damage to my bladder I'd have gone for the Flowmax earlier, but it has some side effects that you can read about online.
I was thinking specifically about urinary tract infection and I started Flomax two weeks ago. Working pretty well without noticeable side effect for now.
Appreciated, thank you!

Interesting treatment technique that sounds a lot easier to take than the surgical route, but are there studies from this to show the results of patients following the procedure? I don't see much there regarding proof of the pudding, so to speak.
The HIFU treatment is for removing (vaporizing) tumors which have not escaped, (spread beyond) the gland itself. If you haven't had an examine - get one.
There is every reason to talk to your doctor and other doctors to learn about the four main choices of treatment, as they may pertain to you. Get on it early.
Do not rely on a biker forum for medical advice.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I was thinking specifically about urinary tract infection and I started Flomax two weeks ago. Working pretty well without noticeable side effect for now.
Appreciated, thank you!
Ah, that reminds me of one other detail I didn't mention before. I actually had one of my episodes to the ER while on Flowmax, but it turned out I had a UTI that probably was the main cause of that one. Didn't have any major symptoms, no pain, but my urine was a bit cloudy, that was all. I suspect I got the UTI from the previous catheterization, which they kept in me for a little over a week, which I think is too long.

They also gave me two separate tests to see how well I empty my bladder, and anything 100ml or less is considered good. I was 70ml on one and 55ml on the other, so that was good news. If you can't empty your bladder well that's a risk for UTI because of the stagnant urine.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I call BS about this newer trend of don't bother taking your annual PSA test because I would have been dead years ago and missed out of many more years riding my ST1300! Ed Wing
yeah but you had a Gleason score of 9 and your PSA was 5, while I have a PSA of 29 and no cancer, go figure. Its all they have, so I guess its better than nothing, but they cause many biopsies to be performed that aren't really necessary. I'd rather be cautious than reckless when it comes to cancer so I don't really regret all the biopsies, but I never had any complications from the biopsies, some people do. When that happens they're worse off than if they just did nothing and they never had cancer in the first place.

Top Bottom