OP
OP
docw1

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
The HIFU treatment is for removing (vaporizing) tumors which have not escaped, (spread beyond) the gland itself. If you haven't had an examine - get one.
There is every reason to talk to your doctor and other doctors to learn about the four main choices of treatment, as they may pertain to you. Get on it early.
Do not rely on a biker forum for medical advice.
The HiFU is FDA approved for removal of prostate tissue, such as in BPH. It is not, as yet, approved for treatment of any prostate cancer. If one is going this route, they should be enrolled in a a clinical trial.

Oooookaaayyyy! Now this is a topic close to heart, no problems as of yet, but what is the first signs that maybe something is amiss?
A while ago I tentatively asked the doc if there could be a problem down the line. His answer: "How many times do you get up to pee in the night?"
It seems that I am one of the lucky ones who can sleep through so I was told not to worry about it, but my inner Hypochonder is trying to tell me that amma gonna die by next Tuesday.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
A physician friend of ours, upon learning of my diagnosis, said somewhat wryly, "If a man lives long enough, he'll have a 95% chance of getting prostate cancer."
Not necessarily a fatal version, and not "necessarily" requiring treatment, depending on all the usual factors. Age, type of cancer, aggressiveness of the cancer, and so forth.
Further, he told us there have been studies, some ongoing, wherein older men who have passed away (unrelated to prostate cancer), have nearly all been found to have some degree of cancer or pre-cancer of the prostate.
No one leaves here alive...

Bike
2000 ST1100
Oooookaaayyyy! Now this is a topic close to heart, no problems as of yet, but what is the first signs that maybe something is amiss?
A while ago I tentatively asked the doc if there could be a problem down the line. His answer: "How many times do you get up to pee in the night?"
It seems that I am one of the lucky ones who can sleep through so I was told not to worry about it, but my inner Hypochonder is trying to tell me that amma gonna die by next Tuesday.
I would not worry about it. Every male will have their prostate enlarge with age which means more pressure on the bladder causing the urge to pee. It's normal with old age. The way I look at it the older I get the more chances I have of things taking me out of this world so I don't worry about any one thing. All you can do is visit your doctor regularly and get those check ups on time after that its in Gods hands when to call you back home.

OP
OP
docw1

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
The symptoms of BPH are the urge to pee often and slowing of the stream. There are not the same as prostate cancer, which may well have no symptoms until it's very far advanced. This is where the medical guidelines say to have "shared decision making" with your MD. The PSA is an imperfect test. The digital rectal exam is an old test which probably also has a low degree of success. As far as screening, that's probably it. One can do an MRI, but that's more diagnostic than screening, not to mention, also expensive. Are you at high risk? refer to the original attachment in the first post.

Attachments

OP
OP
docw1

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
The symptoms of BPH are the urge to pee often and slowing of the stream. There are not the same as prostate cancer, which may well have no symptoms until it's very far advanced. This is where the medical guidelines say to have "shared decision making" with your MD. The PSA is an imperfect test. The digital rectal exam is an old test which probably also has a low degree of success. As far as screening, that's probably it. One can do an MRI, but that's more diagnostic than screening, not to mention, also expensive. Are you at high risk? refer to the original attachment in the first post.
These are, of course USA guidelines. Germany may have a different take on the subject.

OP
OP
docw1

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
In my work as a correctional physician, I had two patients (both black--higher risk) who had no particular symptoms until they started having nerve damage to the point of paralysis due to metastases to the spine. One died, the other is probably dead, but released. It tends to sear into your mind.

Bike
2000 ST1100
In my work as a correctional physician, I had two patients (both black--higher risk) who had no particular symptoms until they started having nerve damage to the point of paralysis due to metastases to the spine. One died, the other is probably dead, but released. It tends to sear into your mind.
Yep but don't give up hope because I had a client that had prostate cancer and this was 25 years ago and he is now doing great the last time I saw him this June.

Hmm! Just checked, full abdomen, upper and lower with two position changes (sounds like a good time with a hooker) will set you back by 320 Euros, expensive but not break the bank so.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
The HiFU is FDA approved for removal of prostate tissue, such as in BPH.
'"Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put on K.P."

Couldn't resist.

It's actually BHP, not BPH.

Bike
82 VF750S Sabre
Each individual has a different experience. Mine was watching PSA rise after I was 55. A year ago I decided that a PSA of about 5.9 and a normal sized prostate (and a father that had had aggressive prostate cancer) needed a biopsy so that I knew. CT scan, bone scan and MRI all indicated that the high risk prostate cancer was still contained in the prostate. Because of previous abdomen complications, I opted for radiation and Lupron. The radiation was one high dose brachytherapy (internal and then removed) and 25 external treatments (5 days a week for 5 weeks).

The most important thing is to have an annual discussion with your health care provider and I hope that you can catch it early, as was my case.

OP
OP
docw1

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
'"Excuse me, sir. Seeing as how the V.P. is such a V.I.P., shouldn't we keep the P.C. on the Q.T.? 'Cause if it leaks to the V.C. he could end up M.I.A., and then we'd all be put on K.P."

Couldn't resist.

It's actually BHP, not BPH.
BPH = Benign Prostatic Hypertrophy BHP= Brake Horse Power, I think.

OP
OP
docw1

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Hmm! Just checked, full abdomen, upper and lower with two position changes (sounds like a good time with a hooker) will set you back by 320 Euros, expensive but not break the bank so.
MRI of the prostate is different than MRI of the abdomen. It's very focused and requires a more powerful MRI. Generally it would be done if there was some suggestion of prostate cancer, such as a high or increasing PSA.

OP
OP
docw1

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks for the thread and the Screening sheet. Wishing you a speedy and full recovery Bill.
Thank you. Still a little sore and my torso looks like I've been in a bad accident. The bruising is moving south to the point I may soon get "Blue Balls". Catheter comes out in 5 days, and hemoglobin is increasing, so things are looking up.

Bike
1997 ST 1100 GL1800
STOC #
My story appears to be much different. I had an occupation for 27 years that required stem to stern physicals every 8 months. I continued that schedule for years after my retirement at age 49. In 2007 I had to get a new PCP. My every 8 months physical and blood work continued.

I saw my new PCP for 11 years or so. I do know I had 14 visits. In May of 2019 I had my 14th exam. I left 2 days later to do the IBA RIDE AROUND TEXAS. Half way through my PCP called to say I needed to come in ASAP. I finished the RAT, but will say I didn’t enjoy the last half. When I saw my PCP, he asked, when’s the last time we checked my PSA. I said, you’re the doctor, and I said I was there eight months earlier. He checked the records and said we should do both a PSA and digital exam. Three days later his nurse phoned and advised me to see a Urologist. I did.

PSA was 18. Scans and biopsies done. By August of 2019, I was told I had extremely aggressive prostate cancer that had spread to my bones. They told me it was so wide spread I might not live till Christmas 2019.

I gathered all my data and went to MD Anderson in Houston. There the tests showed my PSA was now 30+. Not good. Their bone scans, PET scans and MRI showed non curable bone cancer in both hips, pelvis, femurs, sternum, ribs, both shoulders, both clavicles and the skull. I volunteered to take a experimental course of chemo. My Doctor asked me to sign a waiver, she said I had a 50% chance of dying from the treatment. I will say I had days following each dose I thought death might be preferable. It actually showed promise for 12 months. The cancer in my sternum and skull actually regressed. This past March during a IBA 50CC attempt it raised its ugly head. For the first time during this journey the pain was to much.

They put me on immunotherapy. Zytiga. It failed 2 months ago and had horrible side effects.

I’m now back on chemo with no hope of survival but we’re buying time. Maybe my cure is just around the corner. BTW, I’ve been enjoying Lupron every 90 days since my diagnosis.

When I finally got all of my medical records from the PCP, not a single PSA was ordered over 11 years and 14 visits. The moral of my story is, don’t trust a single medical person to be actually doing their job. You must advocate for your self or find someone to do it for you.

On a positive note, I had a great 250 mile ride today.

OP
OP
docw1

docw1

Bill Rankin
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I'm so sorry to hear of your case, but thank you for posting it. It does illustrate the fact that it's not something to dismiss.

Top Bottom