Putting ST1300 on center stand

Bike
2009 GL1800
Every time somebody talks about picking up an ST from a tip over somebody else posts the video of a woman righting a GW or a 12you girl doing the same as though it's an apples to apples comparison. It's not. It's more like oranges to guavas.

If an ST and GW were both leaned over to their respective TOBs I bet the ST would be lower (closer to the ground) and therefore require more effort to right than from the same angle as the GW. I also believe the weight distribution of the GW compared to an ST also contributes to an easier chore.

There's no getting around the physics. Whether righting an ST or putting it on the center stand, physical strength is needed and it's the same amount for everyone if the bike's weight is a constant. IRL that weight varies so the effort required varies as well.

Traditionally a bike is raised or lifted onto the stand then rolled back slightly to lock it in place. As pointed out the raising/lifting is done with the leg and not the arm. It's no mystery. Increase the distant between the center stand tang/lever and the hand hold (or any other purchase point) sufficiently and the bike can be rocked back to the resting position. With enough enthusiasm it "parks" itself no rocking required.

There are those who's weight on the center stand tang/lever alone is sufficient enough to pop the bike up and into position with a hand on the upper handle unnecessary. That's not me.

I'm sure the minimal required effort can be measured on a given ST (or any other bike). I can provide it – I just don't enjoy it but it would be an interesting metric to know. And I've done it with a pair of Clarks loafers and don't enjoy that either. So it's a 1/2" board and empty upper tank (not to mention solid soles) and I'm good with that. :D
The Gold Wing's crash bars have it tilted up at an angle that makes it fairly easy to put your butt on the seat, pull the handlebar to you, grab the passenger handle & walk backwards till it's up. I haven't a clue yet how to lift the ST, and I'm not encouraged to lay mine down like I can do with the Wing so I can practice.

Bike
2009 GL1800
I had two female employees, both of which weighed around 120-125Lbs and were around 5'6". The method we taught our people was to turn the handlebars pointing straight ahead getting as close to your bike as you can with your feet parallel to the bike. Squat down and put your hip into the side of the saddle. Using your hip and quads, push sideways into the motorcycle until it rights itself. Use your foot to bring the kickstand down and set the bike down. It really doesn't take much effort when done correctly. The bikes we used all had luggage bars which keeps the bike from going over as far as one without. They have to get good at righting their own because in training, you are required to right your own motorcycle and pick up any cones you knock over. We also taught them how to bump start their own bike. This made them choose more wisely where they parked their bike every time.
What kind of luggage bars and where do you get them?

Bike
2012 ST1300A
What kind of luggage bars and where do you get them?
I bought mine from T-Rex. They made a couple mistakes when I ordered them, sending me one chrome and one black. I wrote to them and they instantly sent out a matching one but the powder coating had a blemish. I wrote them again and they apologized and sent me a third one out that was perfect along with a very nice company t-shirt. Very good company to business with. If you ever drop your bike, there is a removable aluminum skid plate that can be replaced without damaging the bars.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
The Gold Wing's crash bars have it tilted up at an angle that makes it fairly easy
Exactly. Most people never mention that. Even if you could get position on an ST to left it you're lift a more horizontal load that a Wing especially with the Wing's lower CG. God for bid the ST go ever the TOB.

Bike
2009 GL1800
I bought mine from T-Rex. They made a couple mistakes when I ordered them, sending me one chrome and one black. I wrote to them and they instantly sent out a matching one but the powder coating had a blemish. I wrote them again and they apologized and sent me a third one out that was perfect along with a very nice company t-shirt. Very good company to business with. If you ever drop your bike, there is a removable aluminum skid plate that can be replaced without damaging the bars.

Bike
2009 GL1800
Thank you for the information . . . I'm on it :) What about the engine guards you apparently have in your photo?

Bike
2009 GL1800

OH! There they are :)

Top Bottom