Question About Towing Motorcycle Long Distance in Open Trailer

Moto-Charlie

Vendor
I know that ideally towing a motorcycle in an enclosed trailer is way more protective for keeping the bike in good condition while on the road.

What I am curious about please is whether anyone has towed their bike long distance in an open trailer, say cross country, for weeks at a time. If so:
  • How did the bike fare in the open?
  • Did you do anything to cover or protect is from road dirt, rain, etc?
My wife and I are contemplating a cross country trip (we live in NH) in a class B camper van. We'd likely be gone a couple of months at a time. I'd like to be able to take my ST with me. We're thinking we would base somewhere for several days and use the bike to explore and then move on to the next place.

I am also looking to keep my cost down AND my overall vehicle size length/footprint small for when we camp in national or state parks, hence my thinking on a smaller open trailer just big enough to hold the bike.

I'd welcome any feedback on multi-week towing, either in an open trailer (or even a closed one) - Thanks

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300
Towing in an open trailer is the same as riding it on the road. It will get as dirty as it normally would except for maybe a little film from tow vehicle exhaust.

One word of advice... do not use a cover! It will rub the finish right off your bike.

sirbike

Site Supporter
Bike
2003 ST1300A
2024 Miles
I have towed several hundred miles in a day or two a dozen times.
One 350 mile trip in a snowstorm coated a bike as if the bodywork doesn’t stop much from getting in.
Towing on salted roads is one situation that noticeably worsens the problem vs riding.
Other than that I’d tow open for all the reasons you stated.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Towing in an open trailer is the same as riding it on the road. It will get as dirty as it normally would except for maybe a little film from tow vehicle exhaust.
It won't be exposed to any more abuse than if you rode it the entire way.
I disagree based on my experience.
It will be much more exposed to whatever is on the road and get pelted by it and get much dirtier unless you are only towing on nice dry roads and never encounter any rain, construction, etc.. When you are riding the bike you are not riding six feet from the bumper of the vehicle in front of you. The tow vehicle will kick up all kinds of crap and coat the bike with it. Mud flaps prevent any larger heavier objects from becoming missiles but they don't stop the dirt laden water from being kicked up and blown backwards. Anyone who has followed behind a truck will have experienced this. It is not likely that it will result in any damage but it will make a mess on the bike.
One word of advice... do not use a cover! It will rub the finish right off your bike.
I agree, again based on my experience.
I made this mistake and wore the finish right off of the forks of my bike due to a flapping cover. It was well secured and tightly taped down to prevent flapping but it broke loose anyway. I had to have the forks re-chromed. If you absolutely want to cover it wrap it with a soft blanket first to protect it and then put the cover on securing it to eliminate any loose flapping material as much as possible. I did this on another trip and had no damage.

One thing that I have done when there is no protection in the front of the trailer that is cheap and simple to do and that works well, assuming that the bike is loaded facing forward, is I wrap the windshield, headlight and turn signals with cling wrap. You just have to peel it off when you get where you are going- much easier than trying to clean all of the grime off of them. If you will always be washing the bike when you arrive at your destination then this is not an issue of course.

You might consider making and installing a stone guard that attaches to the front of the trailer like is done for snowmobile trailers- sample picture below only to illustrate stone guard concept. It is much smaller and lighter than a fully enclosed trailer but still protects the towed vehicle. Where I lived in western Canada there were more gravel roads than paved roads. Everyone who towed a boat would make a stone guard out of plywood for the front of the trailer to protect the boat from the flying gravel. It woks quite well. You would only need something to deflect the air stream over the front of the bike so I am sure that you could make something similar out of plexiglass or something similar that is much lighter. There are also stone guards commercially available. With a little research you might be able to find one that will fit a small trailer. Here is an example- Roadmaster Guardian Rock Guard.

1578499130050.png

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've been towing bikes for many years now (since about 1984). I towed the 2012 to WeSTOCs in 2017 & 2018. I have created a rig that protects most of the front by using a folding ramp. It works great and allows me to load and unload the bike by myself.

ST1300Trailered-s.jpg

OldWingit

Ed Wing
Bike
ST1300
Anyone who says it's no worse then riding cross country has never towed their bike cross country. Back in 2002 we bought a new motor home and towed my ST 1100 for two months doing just what you plan to do. I used to ride enduro's and my dirt bikes never got as filthy as my ST 1100 did after just one day in the rain and mud , and I had a good splash shield on the trailer and full flaps on the MH.

Before heading back West I bought a 10' enclosed trailer from my brother in Arkansas and used it with the bike for 10 years. The only way to go. Pick up a nice small used cargo trailer use it and sell it when done, they hold there value. Also you will have much more room for all your "stuff" in your camper. Enjoy your trip!

Ed

Bike
07 FJR1300
STOC #
I had hauled two ST side x side from Minneapolis to Orlando on this trailer. Just be sure to check your trailer wheels bearing more offense.

Attachments

sky.high

Site Supporter
Bike
The Honda of the day
STOC #
When I picked up our ST in the dead of winter with a uhaul trailer after securing the bike in the trailer I wrapped it entirly with a monster roll of cling film to protect it from the winter road dirt. Worked great!

Attachments

Bike
2006 ST1300A
I've been towing bikes for many years now (since about 1984). I towed the 2012 to WeSTOCs in 2017 & 2018. I have created a rig that protects most of the front by using a folding ramp. It works great and allows me to load and unload the bike by myself.

ST1300Trailered-s.jpg
Bob, that is a nice trailer! How much would it cost to duplicate it?

Whooshka

Fairly faST old guy
Bike
2006 ST1300

ST1300Trailered-s.jpg
Spooky... I have almost that same exact trailer, except for diamond plate deck, and I pulled it with a Mazda CX9 for years.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Bob, that is a nice trailer! How much would it cost to duplicate it?

I actually got a bargain on the trailer... The guy I bought it from had bought four, for a trailer cooling system that he sells. The customer decided he wanted bigger set ups, so the guy had to put those smaller (5X8) trailers aside. After that he was told he couldn't store the trailers where he had them (on Chino airport) so he had to sell them. I paid $800 for mine.

If you look hard enough on Craig's List, you could probably pick up a used one for under $1,000.

The ramps are three 7.5' folding ramps that I bought off eBay. I bought a longer 1/2" threaded bar for the hinge and long 1/2 bolts so I could put 6" Schedule 80 sprinkler pipe between the ramps, giving me enough room to be able to walk the bike up or down the ramp.

I would say for less than $200 you could pick up three ramps off eBay. (my old truck and trailer - below)

MCRamp.jpg

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Spooky... I have almost that same exact trailer, except for diamond plate deck, and I pulled it with a Mazda CX9 for years.
Down here they are pretty common, different sizes and makes of course, but there are many floating around.

OldWingit

Ed Wing
Bike
ST1300
Some of you are missing the point. He is not talking about a one way trip, but rather the ultimate two month RV & MC vacation. They will be moving from spot to spot every few days to see the sites and ride some great roads. When the bike is not being used it will be secure all locked up in the trailer. As I stated in my first post I have done it both ways and for that type of trip the little cargo van is the only way to go. When I sold my Pace American trailer, I actually got more then I paid for it, a first for me

Ed

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
I have trailered a two bike open trailer across country, no guard on it, no issues, but that was on interstate from here to Montana and back. I would recommend a stone guard for anything where there's poor/no pavement or construction. A friend has a single 5x9 enclosed and that works good too, doesn't affect fuel mileage much. Yep, pick a used one up and can usually sell it fro what you paid for it. Make sure the tires are good and axle bearings all greased before you go.

Top Bottom