Question About Towing Motorcycle Long Distance in Open Trailer

ToddC

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300A
I'll go even one further. Get an enclosed trailer and also get one with a tandem axle. It will pull much better and is much safer in the event of a flat or blow out. JMO.
Ok. Finally a real answer.... Can store more in it. Keeps everything clean. And if you put in a wireless cameras system you can monitor what is in the trailer and what is behind. Here is my set up....IMG_20190315_123839.jpg

IMG_20190315_123857.jpg

With a short RV we had no problems in National Parks or other RV sites..

ToddC

Last edited:
Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
any permanent damage Chuck?
February of 2019 we got stuck in a blizzard in Raton New mexico. Our bikes were cover with everything you could imagine. When we got to Big Bend my ignition key would not go in the ignition switch. When I finally got it in it wouldn't turn and then once it turn on I started the the bike the FI light came on. It ran like crap. The same thing happened on the way back home same spot different storm.

Someone stated that Chuck's pictures were worst case. No this is the norm when you go anywhere, expect the unexpected.

Everyone has an opinion some have experience that their opinion is based upon. Do what you want mine will be inside when hauled. Oh and then I don't need to spend a day or two cleaning it to make it rideable.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Ok. Finally a real answer.... Can store more in it. Keeps everything clean. And if you put in a wireless cameras system you can monitor what is in the trailer and what is behind. Here is my set up....IMG_20190315_123839.jpg

IMG_20190315_123857.jpg

With a short RV we had no problems in National Parks or other RV sites..

ToddC

Dang Todd, that trailer is so big, put a couple of slideouts in it and you could use it for a camping trailer! :rolleyes:

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Everyone has an opinion some have experience that their opinion is based upon. Do what you want mine will be inside when hauled. Oh and then I don't need to spend a day or two cleaning it to make it rideable.
Sure that makes sense. Do what you want based on your own experience. That's what I do. BTW I have ridden in torrential rain for several days, snow, hail, high winds, dust storms from below freezing to well over 100. I don't stop to clean my bikes on trips, that gets done when I get back home.

OldWingit

Ed Wing
Bike
ST1300
Also there is a big difference between towing behind a car or an RV/camper. My MH was a 33' class A and that big back end creates a huge vacuum behind it. Everything gets suck up even on dry roads. The right grip and cable were jammed up with fine dust and yes I would have trouble getting the key in. My Pace American was a singe axle 6 x 10. I had room for my ST1100, two mountain bikes and all my ridding gear. Don't leave home for a long RV MC trip without one.

Ed

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
Strewth ! That trailer is bigger than my garage....Delightful little trailer. Rides beautifully and folds up to stow away in the garage, and will fit in the boot of a car - or in the back of the Rav - which is handy because it is far too light to tow when the bike isn't on it. Photo taken just after running out of tyres in Northern Scotland and had to abandon it and collect it the following day.
Had one like that and it was a great design. Called it a t-rail had it made. Great for the katana and vfr. But for the st had to go to something more rider friendly when getting it on the trailer

Top Bottom