Question About Towing Motorcycle Long Distance in Open Trailer

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I'd say tow uncovered and with some type of stone guard. I have limited experience with this but in about 2,000 miles no issues. My trailer has a tool box and 18" sides and this keeps just about anything thrown up from the road off the bikes

20191027_133107.jpg20191021_125019.jpg

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have trailered a two bike open trailer across country, no guard on it, no issues, but that was on interstate from here to Montana and back. I would recommend a stone guard for anything where there's poor/no pavement or construction. A friend has a single 5x9 enclosed and that works good too, doesn't affect fuel mileage much. Yep, pick a used one up and can usually sell it fro what you paid for it. Make sure the tires are good and axle bearings all greased before you go.

I didn't miss the point at all... I wouldn't hesitate taking my trailer setup anywhere for any length of time. That said, if you can afford a enclosed trailer, go for it! I couldn't so I settled for what I have.

When I do stop for the night some place, I do put a cover over the bike to keep things off of it, like those that think it's okay to sit on some's bike!

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Each type has their advantages and disadvantages. I have towed with both an open and enclosed. I used to use an enclosed but hated towing it, so sold it and bought and open trailer. I prefer the open. I towed my ST from Ohio to Montana and back, open trailer no issues. I like the open trailer. because I can see the bike/tie downs, I can see more clearly behind me than with an enclosed trailer, and it weighs less than an enclosed trailer.

The enclosed protected the bike more plus you could stuff gear and tools in the enclosed, but I hated not being able to see out my inside rear view mirror, plus the enclosed weighed a ton and cost me gas mileage and made my truck work harder going up hills.

I have been thinking though about one like this, which cranks the platform down tothe ground, you ride on flat, secure the bike and crank it up for towing.

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
37BB2135-2890-4F64-B029-0A7EADF614CE.jpegTowed to 3 WESTOC’s. Canada, Utah, Washington Oregon to and fro from west Sacramento . A couple trips to Todd’s. behind my truck and rav4. Workin on second set of tires Bike got dirty but not sandblasted and cleaned up fine.

Zaphod

“Vell, Zaphod’s just zis guy, you know?”
Bike
2016 Goldwing F6B
STOC #
We’ve towed with U-Haul and Kendon single-bike open trailers. About 1,000 miles with the first; about 4,000 miles with the Kendon. Both were adequate and in each case the bikes showed no obvious road damage.

Recently, my wife splurged on a Baxley two-bike trailer. It is absolutely fantastic. Loading is very easy as the bed lowers and no ramp is needed. The large shield at the front offers great protection. Electric brakes are standard. So far, we’ve towed the bikes (her F6B; my ST1300) from Florida to Ontario and back. The trailer is so well behaved you forget it’s there.

Attachments

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I'll go even one further. Get an enclosed trailer and also get one with a tandem axle. It will pull much better and is much safer in the event of a flat or blow out. JMO.

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
In the last 4 years I have towed two motorcycles nearly 24k miles. I have owned a Kendon that would hold two full size bikes, a DropTail that would do the same and an enclosed. After owning the Kendon with a mesh trailer bed I would never own another trailer with a mesh bed, way to much crap comes up from the road and really beats up the undercarriage of the bikes. On my Kendon I added a nose guard and it added so much weight to the front of the trailer that it caused significant tire wear. Like a set of tires lasted 5k miles. The DropTail was a much better trailer it had an aluminum diamond plate for the trailer bed and a small mud guard. Easier to load the bikes and better pulling. Now the real downside to open trailers. It is called weather. I have been caught on multiple snow storms at odd times of the year. My motorcycles got covered with so much crap it was unbelievable. I am guessing but I would say at least 400 pounds of snow, ice, chemicals and sand and gravel. This is not the way to treat my motorcycles. They are very hard to clean once this stuff gets on them.

After the last time this happened I sold the DropTail, sold my 1976 CB750F and bought an enclosed trailer that would haul my 2 bikes and then some. Right now I am on the road for the last 2 months and have traveled over 2500 miles and there is no looking back on the purchase of an enclosed trailer.

Bike
2005 st1300
Towing in an open trailer is the same as riding it on the road. It will get as dirty as it normally would except for maybe a little film from tow vehicle exhaust.

One word of advice... do not use a cover! It will rub the finish right off your bike.
It won't be exposed to any more abuse than if you rode it the entire way.
If it doesnt rain. If it rains the spray from the tow vehicle ahead is concentrated and full of road grime. Imagine riding 5 feet behind a vehicle in a rain storm. At least when riding the bike, the spray from a vehicle in front is diminished by the time it gets to you, if you are following at a distance and it is diluted with clean(ish) rain. To the OP, there are high-tech mud flaps that greatly reduce spray. The ones I recall from years ago had little rubber spikes/hairs that would collect and divert the water toward the road, greatly reducing spray. Another type were like a screen and did the same. These were on big trucks but Im sure someone has adapted them for rv's and SUV's. Worth a look. I did a google search and here is a quick vid of one type.
If I was hauling my bike cross country in an open trailer I would at least do this so it wouldnt be as dirty after a rain.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Just for laughs here are some pictures of towing two DR650s over the Continental Divide in April on an open trailer. What a Mess.:D:p

Attachments

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
Chuck. Thanks for the pictures. That is exactly my point. Now put your 15, 20 or 30k dollar motorcycles in that same spot.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Having seen those pictures of Chuck's bikes, I'd consider bolting a piece of plywood to the front of the trailer as a windbreak/stone guard. Maybe 3 or 4 feet high and as wide as the trailer. Another idea I had was to go to Hopot or Lowe's and buy some of that protective film contractors use to protect stairs and carpets when remodeling. It is a peel and stick plastic that leaves no residue (if you remove it in reasonable time). I'd cover the windshield and front facing fairing plastic.

OP
OP
Moto-Charlie

Moto-Charlie

Vendor
Chuck's pictures certainly paint a picture of the potential pitfalls of an open trailer. I once purchased a car in Minnesota and had it shipped to NH. It arrived on one of those big tractor trailer car haulers. My car was on the top level in the front. I could barely recognize it when it showed up, there was so much dirt and gunk and crap all over it. I was quite upset at the time. That experience is what got me to wondering what would happen to a bike, which is why I posted here.

I've been cross country several times and have done lots of long distance touring in all kinds of weather, so I have a sense of the level of dirt, road grime, etc. that can happen while riding. My car mentioned above, somewhat like Chuck's pictures was on another whole filth level of coverage entirely.

In my case I am looking to be able to stop some place for a day or three and go ride my bike right off without having to do "a lot" of cleaning to it. Maybe an enclosed trailer is the only way to be sure it is ready to ride from the get go.

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
In my case I am looking to be able to stop some place for a day or three and go ride my bike right off without having to do "a lot" of cleaning to it. Maybe an enclosed trailer is the only way to be sure it is ready to ride from the get go.
Between the potential grit/grime and security, seems an enclosed trailer is by far the best way to go. Especially since this will be the bike's "home" for several months at a time, and not a singular trip. Plus, you'll have more room to bring more stuff! ;)

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Chuck. Thanks for the pictures. That is exactly my point. Now put your 15, 20 or 30k dollar motorcycles in that same spot.

I think the posted pictures represent a "worst case" scenario for transporting on an open trailer.

There is no doubt that a fully enclosed and secure trailer that would hold 2 bikes and a bunch of gear might be ideal for many folks. As with most things, trailer need is a balance of vehicle towing capacity, required storage space for the trailer, trailer cost and other uses of the trailer that drive purchase considerations. For me, I wanted a high quality trailer that could be used for transporting the bike(s) plus be used as a utility trailer for planned home and cottage renovations for the next 3- 5 years and that is why I choose an open trailer vs. an enclosed one.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
No, it all thawed out and the resulting dirt was handled by the Hi Pressure wash. Which we promptly got the bikes dirty again riding the White Rim Trail in Moab.
And that's the point, as grungy as they looked, it washed off with no permanent damage..same as a day of riding in the rain.

Here's what my FJR looks like after being ridden in the rain, just a cruddy mess

and after being hosed off

Top Bottom