OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Might I suggest when applying lube, to also lube the drop center of the wheel...... it helps!!
Absolutely, however Bridgestones don't usually care how much lube you use lol... Also, too much lube and the tire tends to rotate on the wheel as it doesn't grab.. it's a delicate mix but yes, I typically do get some on the drop center.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Absolutely, however Bridgestones don't usually care how much lube you use lol... Also, too much lube and the tire tends to rotate on the wheel as it doesn't grab.. it's a delicate mix but yes, I typically do get some on the drop center.
Ain't that the truth - and that's true with a 'power' changer.

Bike
2015 BMW K1600GT
Just did a set of tires on the RT last night/this morning. Definitely not simple and easy however, there are pros and cons vs the No Mar.

Front/Rear Tires - Dunlop Roadsmart 3 to Bridgestone Battlax T32

- Dismount
- The bead breaker on the Rabaconda is kinda awkward but very adjustable, the No Mar is always in the same setting so it feels easier from that stand point but once you adjust the Rabaconda it breaks the bead just fine.​
- Using the tire iron to get the first bead into the duckhead for a rear tire was a bear, I was afraid I was going to bend the rim doing that but I walked away and came back a couple times then just worked it a few times and got it hooked into the duckhead.​
- Once I started to ratchet to dismount the first bead the bead would settle back into the rim so I used a piece of plastic into the sliver of tire lip that was trying to go back into the rim and that was enough to let the bead go over the rim enough and then it was cake after that.​
- Mounting
- Pretty easy, set the duckhead and then put it in the 8 o'clock position and slowly ratchet it.​
- This is where the Rabaconda excels over the No Mar. As the duckhead mounts the tire you get to the point where the tire isn't in the drop center of the wheel and with the No Mar you need to add blocks of wood and/or try to push down in opposite areas of the tire while holding the No Mar tire tool in place. The Rabaconda avoids this as the ratchet will hold the duckhead in place while you push down on the other parts of the tire to get it into the drop center and that does allow the tire that extra movement you need to get it mounted.​
Conclusion
- Most tire changer videos rarely show changing a rear sport touring tire we typically use and Bridgestones are historically of the tougher tires due to the stiff sidewalls.​
- Is the Rabaconda a ton easier than the No Mar? No, it's better in some areas of mounting but a little awkward when dismounting so maybe a wash. However, stiff sidewalls are where I've always had issues with the No Mar and the Rabaconda has definitely made that part of the process better when you get to the point you thing you'll need to use spoons to get the tire on. I've done that many times with the No Mar because I could never get the tire pushed into the drop center enough, even with wood blocks. So, for me that's a big winner.​
- Obviously, being able to break down the changer and put in the supplied bag til needed is a big advantage as well.​
So, Rear tires are about 25% easier w/Rabaconda. Front tires are so easy it's comical and with more practice it should be easier.​
Considering buying the Rabaconda too.

Joe, for the dismount, would the bead keeper help? In the video he uses it for the mount, but seems like it would aid with the reverse, no?

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I still remember the time when , If you bought it from us, you take off the wheel and mounting is free. Oh gawd,,,,,, I must really be old!!!!

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Ain't that the truth - and that's true with a 'power' changer.
This and you'll need a few runs to really get the hang of it...
FirST set of tires (Exedras) where a bear to work with, now it's just flows so easy that I'm baffled... ;)

i use these ^^ when removing the tire and have never had an issue levering the bead over the duck head (using a Olmaxmotors tire machine)- I learned a lot of lube and really maintaining the drop center opposite where you’re working on the tire is really critical for success.
Ditto, brilliant gadgets holding the bead in the drop center, keeping your hands free and minimizing the effort required to lift the bead on the duck-head... love'em!

IMG_20230311_111112.jpg IMG_20230311_111119.jpg

Smudgemo

Intermodal Man of Mystery
Bike
'08 GS / '78 CB550
So I decided to go with the NoMar as they were having a July 4th sale. They were responsive to questions, and I went with the hitch mount to save space. The old X5 is a tank and barely moved during my admittedly shaky first attempts at using it. I don't know how difficult this was relatively speaking, but I removed 6+ YO Anakee IIIs and installed some Shinko e705s (decided to try a well-rated budget since now I can pull them if I don't like them or they don't last.) I had a couple instances of getting frustrated with lack of progress, but patience. Step back, reassess, move forward. Nothing got broken or damaged.

53080061195_032fcca625_c.jpg 53080152033_76bfced5f1_c.jpg 53079085992_d4f0dd15a4_c.jpg

I may invest in some bead keepers like above, though. The yellow thing did its job but the beads on stiff tires didn't want to stay in the drop so I used some clamps I had handy to persuade them to stay put. It will probably take awhile to pay for itself, but it's always nice to have the tools to do the work yourself if you care to and this feels like a quality tool. Made in the US, too.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
So I decided to go with the NoMar as they were having a July 4th sale. They were responsive to questions, and I went with the hitch mount to save space. The old X5 is a tank and barely moved during my admittedly shaky first attempts at using it. I don't know how difficult this was relatively speaking, but I removed 6+ YO Anakee IIIs and installed some Shinko e705s (decided to try a well-rated budget since now I can pull them if I don't like them or they don't last.) I had a couple instances of getting frustrated with lack of progress, but patience. Step back, reassess, move forward. Nothing got broken or damaged.

53080061195_032fcca625_c.jpg 53080152033_76bfced5f1_c.jpg 53079085992_d4f0dd15a4_c.jpg

I may invest in some bead keepers like above, though. The yellow thing did its job but the beads on stiff tires didn't want to stay in the drop so I used some clamps I had handy to persuade them to stay put. It will probably take awhile to pay for itself, but it's always nice to have the tools to do the work yourself if you care to and this feels like a quality tool. Made in the US, too.

One thought, you might want to get you a 4x4 and support the tire changer underneath, to the ground.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I may invest in some bead keepers like above, though. The yellow thing did its job but the beads on stiff tires didn't want to stay in the drop so I used some clamps I had handy to persuade them to stay put.
I've never owned a NoMar, but have used it at a couple of friends' through the years. Very handy (understatement!), well-designed and solid tool.
We had the same issue of keeping the bead in the drop center with my car tire, last weekend, and finally called uncle and took it to a used tire shop. First experience trying to mount a car tire on my ST, I'm sure it's back to technique again.
C-clamps didn't work for us, but we did have 3 NoMar tire irons as well as the "yellow thing."
If I had the garage space, I could probably justify it. At least to make new friends, y'know...

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I've never owned a NoMar, but have used it at a couple of friends' through the years. Very handy (understatement!), well-designed and solid tool.
We had the same issue of keeping the bead in the drop center with my car tire, last weekend, and finally called uncle and took it to a used tire shop. First experience trying to mount a car tire on my ST, I'm sure it's back to technique again.
C-clamps didn't work for us, but we did have 3 NoMar tire irons as well as the "yellow thing."
If I had the garage space, I could probably justify it. At least to make new friends, y'know...
I do know that @Byron mounted a car tire, using his portable NoMar, on a ST1300 rear rim, one time when he was at my house mounting my tires. I was working on my bike, and this was for another guy, so I don't remember what issues he had mounting it.

Have owned a No-Mar Classic for many years. My trick to keeping beads in the center is to press wooden dowels in all the way around after the bead is broken. As the remover goes around the dowels just pop out on there own. Wanted to show you in action but my KTM's 200 tire comes off too easy....but you get the idea. Also built a storage box for all the accessories behind it.

IMG_1404.JPG IMG_1405.JPG IMG_1406.JPG

Last edited:

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Have owned a No-Mar Classic for many years. My trick to keeping beads in the center is to press wooden dowels in all the way around after the bead is broken. As the remover goes around the dowels just pop out on there own. Wanted to show you in action but my KTM's 200 tire comes off too easy....but you get the idea. Also built a storage box for all the accessories behind it.
I have always seen these solidly bolted to the floor before. It appears that you are only using your own weight standing on the wood platform to prevent any movement of the machine while it is in use. Does that work well?

I have always seen these solidly bolted to the floor before. It appears that you are only using your own weight standing on the wood platform to prevent any movement of the machine while it is in use. Does that work well?
works perfect, i could probably trim even more of the board off to be honest. Used wingnuts so i take i can separate it for moving.

Top Bottom