Rabaconda Tire Changer

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
15” car rim with old garden hose protection works for many rims.Usually free from a buddy.5/8” threaded rod thru bearings axle area .figure out the rest.l gave mine away,no pics. My back feels great.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Okay, I wimped out. :rolleyes: I'm not getting younger. I ordered the street bike tire changer for $589. I was surprised that the price seems to be what it was a year ago, despite the inflation that has run rampant. And from what I can tell, I'm paying no tax.

While the website says they'll be available by the end of April, it is due to be delivered in two days.

Chris

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Okay, I wimped out. :rolleyes: I'm not getting younger. I ordered the street bike tire changer for $589. I was surprised that the price seems to be what it was a year ago, despite the inflation that has run rampant. And from what I can tell, I'm paying no tax.

While the website says they'll be available by the end of April, it is due to be delivered in two days.

Chris
I got some misc parts of my order in 3 shipments but the changer itself won't be shipped til after mid-April as well. I had just put new tires on the RT so unfortunately, I won't need tires soon but I'm excited about how this will work.

STFlips

Site Supporter
Bike
2001 ST1100A
Last night on my way home from Winnipeg I dropped into Princess Auto and bought a motorcycle tire changer, and from Amazon I acquired the duckbill. I will be doing a hack to facilitate the use of the duckbill with this changer. Fingers crossed this will do the job. ;)
If anyone is interested, that bead breaker from Princess Auto that Robert mentions is on sale this week, $20 off.

Bike
2010 ST1300A
My buddy got one of these and we mounted a new rear tire on my st rim. It is definitely easier than a harbor freight t/c we used before. Order the accessory bead? Wedge? We didn't have it and it's hard to keep the bead down in the center of the wheel on the back side as you are putting the tire on. We did it with my extra hands but if you are by yourself that piece would be easier. Lube the tire well and read the instructions. Overall it is a nice piece of equipment. It is free standing and can be wobbly til you get the hang of it. I'm sure after we do a dozen tires we will get as smooth as that guy. By the way we put a Road 5 gt tire on. It's a 190 which is a little wide for my rim but other than the tire profile being a little steep on the side I think it will be ok. I'll try it for awhile and decide if it's too steep.

skipcurt

Skip
Bike
'18 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
@Mellow....you having the RT and myself having the GSA, did you also purchase the Universal Big Hub Adapter ($45) or the BMW Shaft Drive Adapter ($39)? Pretty sure they both have the same size hub.
Looking pretty seriously at this tire changer.

Skip

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Joe:

You already had the No-Mar, so you didn't need a tire changer. You bought another tire changer, so you weren't getting out of changing your tires yourself either.
So what was the motivation for getting rid of the No-Mar and replacing it with the Rabaconda? Was it simply a matter of freeing up some space in your garage?

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
@Mellow....you having the RT and myself having the GSA, did you also purchase the Universal Big Hub Adapter ($45) or the BMW Shaft Drive Adapter ($39)? Pretty sure they both have the same size hub.
Looking pretty seriously at this tire changer.

Skip
Yes I did, I also had to have the wider duckhead due to the RT wheels which I don't think you need for the GS.

Joe:

You already had the No-Mar, so you didn't need a tire changer. You bought another tire changer, so you weren't getting out of changing your tires yourself either.
So what was the motivation for getting rid of the No-Mar and replacing it with the Rabaconda? Was it simply a matter of freeing up some space in your garage?
Yes, I like the fact I can pack it up in it's own bag and put away. I could do something similar w/No Mar but all the parts are more awkward so I typically just left it bolted to the floor.

I also like that it's more mobile and I can use it anywhere in my garage, the ratcheting mechanism appears like it will be a little easier to do some tires vs a No Mar bolted near a wall.

Funny, someone just posted this in advrider:

1679409828016.png

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I have pretty tight space constraints, so a thorough review once you have received it and have it all figured out would be appreciated.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Which one? The 45 or the 39? or would either one work?
The 39 is what you'll need... they even show a pic on a GS wheel.
1679410962936.png

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
the website says they'll be available by the end of April
Looks like I just got a tracking notice for the main unit, should be here next week.

I won't need a change til sometime in June before NatSTOC but I'll put it all together and show some pictures - no surprises there I'm sure - and will just check that I have all the parts and they all attach as designed.

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
I have watched a couple of the videos on this machine. It might have been good idea to have integrated a torque multiplier of some sort in the ratchet mechanism. It would reduce the amount of muscle needed.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I have watched a couple of the videos on this machine. It might have been good idea to have integrated a torque multiplier of some sort in the ratchet mechanism. It would reduce the amount of muscle needed.
We shall see how it goes... I've seen some vids where the person didn't even use any tire lube and was struggling.. a lot of times, well actually, all times it makes a lot of difference and I wouldn't do any tire changes without that... you risk tearing the lip of the tire.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
One of the earlier lessons I learned is that it’s critical to keep the drop center of the tire deep in the rim, as otherwise as Joe said, you risk tearing the tire. The first tire change I did with the Olmaxmotors tire changer was a bear (mainly because of poor technique), but after that, they’re pretty easy as long as you have the right tools (I use the plastic Amazon spring loaded devices to maintain the drop center, and I have a yellow ‘tire thing’). Liberal amounts of lube as well (my kit came with the tire ‘soap’ and that actually works really well vs a liquid solution).

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Just delivered today... put together in just a few mins and back apart to fit in provided bag. I was gonna take pictures but it looks like all the other pictures lol... I won't have a tire change til probably in June and will provide some feedback then as I'll be putting some BS T32 tires on the bike.

Top Bottom