Rabaconda Tire Changer

love my no-mar classic mounted on a big plywood board but moving it is a pain. max2h sells something similar that was discussed here.

on a side note i will never again mount a rear tire on an ST wheel with my no-mar :oops:. thought a chunk of the wheel was gonna break off. not enough space in the center of wheel to give the bead room.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
love my no-mar classic mounted on a big plywood board but moving it is a pain. max2h sells something similar that was discussed here.

on a side note i will never again mount a rear tire on an ST wheel with my no-mar :oops:. thought a chunk of the wheel was gonna break off. not enough space in the center of wheel to give the bead room.
Really? I've don't hundreds of ST wheels... a warm tire and lots of lube is the key..some tires feel impossible sometimes but just takes patience.

Really? I've don't hundreds of ST wheels... a warm tire and lots of lube is the key..some tires feel impossible sometimes but just takes patience.
It was a low mileage 2006 that sat around in a Minnesota garage....tire was probably rotten if you say its easy. I couldn't get the removal bar into the bead for the life of me. Oh well, looking forward to your thoughts on the new changer.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
It was a low mileage 2006 that sat around in a Minnesota garage....tire was probably rotten if you say its easy. I couldn't get the removal bar into the bead for the life of me. Oh well, looking forward to your thoughts on the new changer.
I'm in carrollton so next time you find a tough one let me know. Hoping the Rabaconda will be better in some respects.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
Mine delivered on Thursday.

When I did all my previous tires by hand with a set of tire irons, it would get tough occasionally. I'd get to straining and then I'd sit back and ask myself what I was doing wrong. I'd go back to the basics and everything would fall into place.

It's not rocket science. And if you're straining too hard, machine or by hand, look to see what you're doing wrong.

Chris

When I did all my previous tires by hand with a set of tire irons, it would get tough occasionally. I'd get to straining and then I'd sit back and ask myself what I was doing wrong. I'd go back to the basics and everything would fall into place.

It's not rocket science. And if you're straining too hard, machine or by hand, look to see what you're doing wrong.
^^^^^^^^ ... exactly !!

I've always swapped tires manually. The only mechanical helper is the bead breaker I made using wood peices, as that's the one physical challenge to me. Once wheels are off the bike, I've averaged about 15 minutes, old to new aired up. However, it's not like I'm under a time constraint :thumb:

To me, a $$$ tire changer is advantageous to swap tires faster ... ie, if you're swapping a few tires a week / month (maybe for some extra cash).

But yea, the times I've gotten hung up on a tire (usu a rear, when removing) is because I was already exhausted with previous chores ... I found if I go sit inside and relax for a bit, then go back to it, bam - done in a few.

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
To me, a $$$ tire changer is advantageous to swap tires faster ... ie, if you're swapping a few tires a week / month (maybe for some extra cash).
For me, it wasn't so much time, but effort. I'm a relatively spry 70+ yr old...but how much longer will that last? I "can" do them totally manually and have proved that many times over. But...

...I've come to the realization that I'm not getting younger. And prices are not going down. I also noticed that they are not charging the almost 10% sales tax our communist governor puts on everything. To me, the Rabaconda tire changer looked like a deal at those prices. And why not get the benefit of the machine early on, rather than at the end of my riding career?

When I looked at it twice...it seemed like a deal.

I do enough miles that I change tires a couple times a year. My riding partner and I realized I was changing a lot of tires short of their lifespan, simply because a I had 2K left of tread and 3-4K ahead of me for trips. It caused me to buy another set of rims and leave my tires with the most mileage (my "road trip" tires) in a box in the garage, with no qualms about riding my "commuter" tires till they reached end of life. It may not pay out in a logical manner, but I never have to worry about buying tires at the last minute.

I realize God has blessed me with having the discretionary income to do this, and others may not have that flexibility. But I also tend to put things in terms of "how much does this cost???!!!"...and how much did I spend on my last smartphone. In comparison, the tire changer was a drop in the bucket. :)

Chris

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Not trying to be negative, but I’m afraid that’s going to twist where the u bolts are at the least. There is a lot of force required to change some tires.
You were correct! I did indeed have an issue and will go to square tubing. I also have to bolt the tire changer on a solid platform. The bead breaking portion worked flawlessly. ;)

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
You were correct! I did indeed have an issue and will go to square tubing. I also have to bolt the tire changer on a solid platform. The bead breaking portion worked flawlessly. ;)
That sounds like it might be a plan. Hope it works out for you.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I have a marc panes balancer.

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
I don't think ALL tires have the dot anymore.
If it's there, they must have painted it black.
My last was a Dunlop RoadSmart 4, maybe 5?

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
I have a marc panes balancer.
I've been looking at and wanting to get that balancer for some time now. Let me guess, it works perfectly? :)

Just yesterday my brother-in-law visited and brought his Rabaconda tire changer. We changed the tires on my 1300. It worked great. My local Honda dealer is six weeks out to make an appointment to change tires.

Bike
2002 ST 1100
STOC #
Just yesterday my brother-in-law visited and brought his Rabaconda tire changer. We changed the tires on my 1300. It worked great. My local Honda dealer is six weeks out to make an appointment to change tires.
6 weeks out. Maybe you and BIL can get a quick side hustle and have that changer paid off in a week.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Just did a set of tires on the RT last night/this morning. Definitely not simple and easy however, there are pros and cons vs the No Mar.

Front/Rear Tires - Dunlop Roadsmart 3 to Bridgestone Battlax T32

- Dismount
- The bead breaker on the Rabaconda is kinda awkward but very adjustable, the No Mar is always in the same setting so it feels easier from that stand point but once you adjust the Rabaconda it breaks the bead just fine.​
- Using the tire iron to get the first bead into the duckhead for a rear tire was a bear, I was afraid I was going to bend the rim doing that but I walked away and came back a couple times then just worked it a few times and got it hooked into the duckhead.​
- Once I started to ratchet to dismount the first bead the bead would settle back into the rim so I used a piece of plastic into the sliver of tire lip that was trying to go back into the rim and that was enough to let the bead go over the rim enough and then it was cake after that.​
- Mounting
- Pretty easy, set the duckhead and then put it in the 8 o'clock position and slowly ratchet it.​
- This is where the Rabaconda excels over the No Mar. As the duckhead mounts the tire you get to the point where the tire isn't in the drop center of the wheel and with the No Mar you need to add blocks of wood and/or try to push down in opposite areas of the tire while holding the No Mar tire tool in place. The Rabaconda avoids this as the ratchet will hold the duckhead in place while you push down on the other parts of the tire to get it into the drop center and that does allow the tire that extra movement you need to get it mounted.​
Conclusion
- Most tire changer videos rarely show changing a rear sport touring tire we typically use and Bridgestones are historically of the tougher tires due to the stiff sidewalls.​
- Is the Rabaconda a ton easier than the No Mar? No, it's better in some areas of mounting but a little awkward when dismounting so maybe a wash. However, stiff sidewalls are where I've always had issues with the No Mar and the Rabaconda has definitely made that part of the process better when you get to the point you thing you'll need to use spoons to get the tire on. I've done that many times with the No Mar because I could never get the tire pushed into the drop center enough, even with wood blocks. So, for me that's a big winner.​
- Obviously, being able to break down the changer and put in the supplied bag til needed is a big advantage as well.​
So, Rear tires are about 25% easier w/Rabaconda. Front tires are so easy it's comical and with more practice it should be easier.​

Top Bottom