Helmets Recomendation on a full face helmet

Hi All, yeah it's time for me to buy a new helmet, last Shoei I bought was a size 7 3/8 to 7 1/2. Most important is quiet and good visor clearing ,so yeah looking for recommendations, thanks All

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
If you found the Shoei fit your head shape well you'll likely end up with another. I've tried quite a few brands an most have an unpleasant pressure point on my noggin, 'cept the Shoeis

You looking for a full face, modular, open face or brain bucket style?

Bike
2010 ST1300
I've found my Neotec 2 to be heavy compared to picking up and moving the skid lids belonging to some of my riding friends. Other than the weight, I like it a lot, but my previous Schuberth was lighter (and would have cost more except I bought it on closeout). I'd suggest you shop around and try various hats on for size and weight. Also pay attention to peripheral visibility.

I found Arai fit my alien oblong head, it fit great and was light with good ventilation. Switched to a Shoei, 1st time I have had the foam fail and found they don't make a helmet fits right on me.
I am sure this sounds cheesy, spend the time and find someone who knows how to fit a helmet to your noggin, they can be hard to find but are worth the time to locate.
I was surprised at how many different helmet fitments there are.

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
When you buy a new helmet the first thing to do is hand wash the liner and air dry it over night. Then the liner will conform to your head.

I use a Bell modular helmet.

Bike
2003 ST1300A
I like my LS2 Carbon, I bought several years ago. Light, great padding, and outward view. Fits similar to Shoei (I used to wear one), but smaller. In most helmets I'm a large, in this one an XL. I really like the clear shield and flip down visor. The quick connect for the strap is a great idea too, over the plain double D ring. Moderately quiet. I have my communication speakers on for music often.

As others have said, find what fits for most comfort and safety. I'm likely buying a new one in a year or two and it will be another LS2 in some sort of carbon (I like light).

STOC #
Motornut makes a good point. I absolutely have to try a helmet on to be sure. There’s an ahhh moment when you know it’s right, and it’s a big investment. I drove 3 hours to to a big dealer in StLouis to find one. The Arai round/oval is what fits me, the only way to know for sure is to try it on.

Last edited:
OP
OP
St-Gerard
Full face, slightly lighter,hopefully quieter. Replacing a Shoei Qwest and HJC ch16 , part of the visor locking thing broke on the shoei , so went back to the Hjc noisey with the shield cracked open and fogs up almost instantly when closed all the way ,is a bit quieter but need to see!

OP
OP
St-Gerard
Planning to go to my local bike stores to try them out, knowing me they are past there best before date. So not sure of any improvements of late

Bike
2006 ST1300
I was just through the "helmet buying wringer" myself. I had worn a Shoei Neotec for a long time, and liked it in general. In trying new helmets on though, the Shoei was not only REALLY expensive, it did not fit as well as others, and the insides ( the cushioning) seemed to be pretty cheap looking and feeling for what was priced as a premium helmet. I don't think helmet buying is like it used to be- when you could count on a new (enter brand here) helmet to fit the same as your 5 year old one.

I ended up with an HJC RPHA90S, at less than half the cost.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Full face, slightly lighter,hopefully quieter. Replacing a Shoei Qwest and HJC ch16 , part of the visor locking thing broke on the shoei , so went back to the Hjc noisey with the shield cracked open and fogs up almost instantly when closed all the way ,is a bit quieter but need to see!
To help with the fogging, look for a pinlock screen, regardless of that brand helmet you go with.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
My klim tk1200 fits like my shoei rf1200 plus the klim is modular and you get a transitions shield with it, will never go back to clear and dark shield dancing again.

Bike
R1200rt
Bell SRT modual helmet stay away IMO. More wind noise than my cheap helmets, vents well when warm but when it's cold out it's cold even with all the vents closed. Can't crack the visor open no detents to hold it open a bit. The fake leather on the bottom of the helmet started peeling off after a year. It is comfortable. I paid 150 right from Bell, it was on closeout. It's not worth the price now.

Last edited:

Hound

Cave Canem
Bike
2004 ST1300PA
STOC #
I had Shoeis for years, then tried a Schuberth C3. I'd tried Schuberths before and they weren't right for me at all, but it seems they've changed their design and this one's the most comfortable helmet I've had. It's modular, which isn't what you want, but you might try their S3 full face - one might not have thought of.

Bike
VStrom 650
Shoei GTAir, Pinlock and drop down sunny.
This replaced a QWest about 5 years ago.
No complaints.
I couldn't ride without the drop down sunny now, it's a game changer.
There seems to be plenty of deals at the moment on Shoei helmets over here.
Upt.

Bike
07 ST1300 ABS
Bell SRT modual helmet stay away IMO. More wind noise than my cheap helmets, vents well when warm but when it's cold out it's cold even with all the vents closed. Can't crack the visor open no detents to hold it open a bit. The fake leather on the bottom of the helmet started peeling off after a year. It is comfortable. I paid 150 right from Bell, it was on closeout. It's not worth the price now.
I have never had any problems with it, the visor has detents. No peeling after three years. It’s noisy compared to a regular full face helmet but I like the option of riding with the helmet open or closed. No problem with vents at all, summer or winter. I ride in the 40s. Sounds like you are talking about a different helmet. You paid $150 from Bell on close out? I don’t think so.

IMG_1325.jpeg

Last edited:
Bike
2014 ST1300
I'm also starting to look at a new helmet. The current one, a Scorpion, fits fine and works but it nearing 6 years old and my understanding is that you want to swap out a helmet every 5-7 years.

I've looked at a number and the Bell Race Star DLX Flex is intriguing. Has pretty decent reviews from what I can find. Still looking though, more for the fun of looking than anything.....

mello dude

Half genius, half dumazz whackjob foole
Recently tried on some helmets at Cycle Gear... I have had Shoei's in the past. The RFR was decent, and the RF1400 was really tight, and hit me funny in the lower jaw. The Neotech was heavy, thought first thats what I wanted , But no.....tried the Arai Quantum X, not bad, pricey though. --- This helmet is more for the oval head, as opposed to the Signet.
But come spring, I think the Arai Quantum X is the one.... Pricy or not, no matter waht the helmet has to work.
Another tip, if you wear sun glasses, dont forget to try them with the helmet too.

Last edited:
Top Bottom