Sena Customer Service

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
My brother-in-law has a 20S communicator that is three years old. It no longer works. It turns on and then immediately turns off even when it is plugged in. It started this without any other symptoms and without any warning. It simply went from working perfectly to not working. We tried all of the reset/reboot procedures, recharging, etc.. It turns on, flashes the red light a couple of times and turns itself off. Even though it is three years old we are in a winter climate and have a shortened riding season here so the time that it could have actually been in use over those three years is only eighteen months. He only uses it when we ride together because I am the only other person he knows who has a communicator. We generally only use it on trips- we don't bother on day rides around here. I know for a fact that it has not been used more than a dozen times. It still looks like new, has never been abused or dropped and he has always kept the battery fully charged even during the winter months.

I submitted a claim to Sena on his behalf knowing that it was past the two year warranty period. I did so because we find it absolutely unacceptable that a unit that is sold at such a premium price should catastrophically fail with such extremely little usage. We wanted to see what Sena would do about it and fully expected that they would do something.

First complaint is that it took Sena over a week to even respond to the first contact.

Second complaint is that they would not even consider the claim- they rejected it out-of-hand simply because the warranty period had expired. I understand that the warranty that was agreed to as part of purchasing the unit had expired but there should be considerations made based on circumstance. A communicator as expensive as this one, that has hardly been used, should not be rendered useless so quickly. Sena should stand behind their product a little better than this if they are going to charge such premium prices.

Third complaint- after they refused the claim I asked where they had a repair facility that it could be sent to to have it repaired. According to them they don't have any repair facilities themselves or any authorized repair facilities anywhere in the world. They only replace units. With the price that they sell these things for why don't they? I am not sure that I believe this. They also sell refurbished units. If they don't have any repair facility where do the refurbished units come from? After learning this we were really angry as this means there is no customer support from them at all.

Fourth complaint is that they don't seem to believe to much in customer loyalty. Again, I understand that the warranty had expired but if you are not going to offer a means to have post warranty products that you sell for top dollar repaired then some circumstances should allow a little discretion to make the situation right. It took many emails back and forth with me having to be persistent before they finally gave in and agreed to offer him a discount code towards a replacement unit. It was not easy though. They are very slow to respond to every email so the process drags on unacceptably long- like pulling teeth.

The problem now is that my brother-in-law is so disgusted with Sena and that fact that a unit he ponied up big dollars for because he wanted quality is now a paperweight after such little use. He is having a real hard time stomaching ponying up for Sena again even with the discount. He is looking at one of the cheap knock off units. If a cheap one dies after a short time at least he will only be out 50 or 60 bucks this time instead of many hundreds. I have a cheap chines BT-S2 (In addition to an expensive Sena) that is several years old and still works fine.

I have contacted Sena on my own behalf a couple of times with issues- mostly related to their computer software that I could not get to work and therefore I could not update my Sena unit. They never helped me with that problem either. As a matter of fact they actually gave me incorrect information meaning that the people who respond don't even know their products.

Not at all impressed with Sena.

What an unpleasant contrast to Garmin.

Anyone aware of a place that repairs Sena 20S communicators where this unit could be sent for a repair estimate?

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Nope! No repair places that I know of.

Sorry that you are having such an issue!

But just like when I had a 1 year old freezer die on me, Lowe's said sorry! The warranty was up two or three days before!

When my first 20S died on me, I wasn't even aware of the two year warranty. So I tore into it, trying to replace the battery. After watching a YouTube video on how to replace the battery, I tried to do that, but the battery I found on ebay was too big. That was about the time I found that it was still under warranty, I put it back together and sent it back. They sent me a brand new unit. But by that time I had bought a set of 30Ks and so I had a brand new 20S and a slightly used 20S, I sold those to offset the cost of the 30Ks.

So for the 30Ks have been fine. I've had them for about 1 1/2 years now and I use one of them daily. I swap them out every now and then, just to keep them charged.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Most electronics aren't really repairable these days because the cost of the components and labor to fix them are typically as much as or more than a new unit. There may be some exceptions to this, but not many. WRT your question about 'refurbished' units, that's an industry term for products that have either been superseded by a new model and they need to move it out at reduced prices, or perhaps new units that were returned for some reason but are otherwise brand new. They are not repaired units, because there's no financial incentive to repair them.

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
It sounds like a battery problem... Assume it was charged until the led turned blue?
Have you tried using it WHILE it is plugged in charging?
If the latter works, it's not too hard to replace the batteries (there are 2 inside).

Bike
2006 ST1300A
It's true that Sena does not repair or replace the built in batteries in their units. And replacing the batteries yourself use to be a big job requiring cutting wires and soldering. Now there is a replacement battery for the s20, s30 and the 10C that is 1100Mah and has the built in wire connector that the Sena units require.

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
It's true that Sena does not repair or replace the built in batteries in their units. And replacing the batteries yourself use to be a big job requiring cutting wires and soldering. Now there is a replacement battery for the s20, s30 and the 10C that is 1100Mah and has the built in wire connector that the Sena units require.

Good find Jay!

Looks like ebay has them also...at the same price, I might add!

Sena Replacement battery

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
I have found that both Sena and Cardo Scala products are expensive and premium priced and much money is wasted on overly elaborate packaging and zippered pouches that probably no one uses or needs. Reminds me to Apple product market and price positioning.

I'm not surprised to hear that your out-of-warranty period claim was rejected out of hand.

I do understand that these units are very small and pack a lot of functionality into a tiny package so, like a lot in electronic devices these days, they are not repairable at all or it is not economically viable to repair them due to parts and labour expense. If it is the battery this is something you can do yourself.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
For the non-camera units like 20s and 30s, you can attach a external battery by mini-usb connection and they will continue to work fine as a communicator. However, with the 10C camera unit, when the internal battery dies and you connect a external battery, you can record video and use the Bluetooth communications. But the camera will not record any of you boom mic audio.... So, replacing the battery in the 10C becomes necessary.

slmjim

Hopeless Tool Junkie
Derby City - Home of The Louisville Slugger
Bike
Which one today...?
Scala was very responsive in upgrading our long-out-of-warranty G9 units to G9x functionality, enabling us to run custom fitted earplug speakers instead of the original hard wired helmet speakers. We had to pay for the G9x mounts but, doing so enabled many years fo additional use (and counting).

Scala also does not offer replacement Li-Ion batteries, but they are easily sourced from Amazon, and replacement is pretty straightforward.

slmjim

SupraSabre

Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I don't see where it will fit the s20 or s30, am I missing something?
Well, the big question would be if they fit... I had bought a battery for my 20S, but it was too big to fit in the space. I have no clue if these will. And since I don't need to worry about it right now, I won't be spending any $$$ to find out! ;)

OP
OP
Andrew Shadow

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
It sounds like a battery problem... Assume it was charged until the led turned blue?
Have you tried using it WHILE it is plugged in charging?
If the latter works, it's not too hard to replace the batteries (there are 2 inside).
Yes- fully charged according to the indicator.
Tried while it was plugged in- turns on and immediately turns itself off.
We would have tried that if we knew the problem was the battery. Because it does the same thing when it is plugged in we figured it was not a power issue but we don't know.

OP
OP
Andrew Shadow

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I would NEVER buy another of their products, even if it was guaranteed not to wear, tear, rust or split up the middle!
Kind of where my brother-in-law is at right now. He paid close to $400.00 CAD for this thing and it is dead after hardly any use at all. I still feel that when you ask that kind of money there should be more support for the customer than this even if the warranty period has passed. I would understand if it is 5, 6, etc. years old or even if it is three years old but had seen heavy use. If you saw this thing you would think that it had just been removed from the original packaging.

If they cannot guarantee reasonable longevity of their product they should not be charging premium prices. We might as well just buy the cheap Chinese BT-S2 communicators by the dozen and keep replacing them.

Oh wait- I have been using one of those cheap BT-S2 units for over two years now and it still works fine!

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I don't see where it will fit the s20 or s30, am I missing something?

When I looked at the Amazon ad, there were two small pictures, where you could pick the color. If you pick the $17.99 picture, it says for the 20S and is 700mAh.

John

OP
OP
Andrew Shadow

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
For the non-camera units like 20s and 30s, you can attach a external battery by mini-usb connection and they will continue to work fine as a communicator.
It does not work when plugged in to a charger via the USB. Is there a chance that it will work when plugged in to a battery pack? I can't imagine what the difference would be.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
I would recommend a Cardo Freecom 2 pair if you'll never want to connect to anyone else, or a Freecom 4 pair if you might.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
It does not work when plugged in to a charger via the USB. Is there a chance that it will work when plugged in to a battery pack? I can't imagine what the difference would be.
Here is why: The 10C draws power from the internal battery first. When the internal battery gets low in power, the video camera portion of the the system will stop recording both video and audio. However, the Bluetooth comm system for phone calls, music and other coomunications will still work. If you plug in an external battery pack via mini-usb when the internal battery is low, the video camera will record again. But, and I mean but, it will only record video and not the audio from your boom mic. Yes, very strange... I have spoken with Sena about this in frustration. So, that is why replacing the internal battery is necessary on the 10C. Using a external battery pack on 20S and 30S would make it work perfectly fine!

OP
OP
Andrew Shadow

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Using a external battery pack on 20S and 30S would make it work perfectly fine!
If the problem that we are seeing with this unit is being caused by the battery and not something else. That is what we don't know.

Top Bottom