Setting Up A Chinavasion Rage GPS

am i right tha this method will get you into the 5" and the rage? "Uncle Phil Quote"

Now that I know what to do, it's pretty simple if you can find the right version of the programs. Copy REGEDIT.EXE and JOTKBD.EXE to the sd card, change the NAVPATH to the JOTKBD.EXE first to bring the keyboard up, then change the NAVPATH to the REGEDIT.EXE to bring REGEDIT.EXE up, select CUSER from the dropdown box, double tap OEM, double tap SHELLEX, scroll down to find WINCE, double tap it, edit the first parameter ENABLE to 1, save it and then back out. Then I hit reset to boot the system. I thought at first it did not work because the button didn't show up on the main screen. For my GPS, it puts the WINDOWS CE button under SETTINGS menu - the same place you set the NAV PATH. This deal takes about 5 minutes now that I know the 'how to'.
laughing.png
http://www.adventurebikerider.com/forum/64-about-gps-and-gps-routes/259777-peaklife-vs-rage-gps-systems.html?limit=10&start=40

If it is just additional maps, I don't know how that sorts out with IGO or Primo whose maps 'live' in a folder call x:\Primo\CONTENT\map\<identification>.fbl. You can copy stuff easy enough to the map folders in IGO/PRIMO without fussing with the operating system, but if it requires an install of software on the unit, I don't have a clue. You might google around as I'm sure one of the GPS user sites has somebody that has done it.

Yes, that is the method. The 'challenge' is finding the 'right' version of REGEDIT that has the drop down box to get to the right parameter. I've not done a Rage, but it should work exactly the same. As I said, just be careful, as there is no easy recovery if you 'brick' it. If you are installing software, I would presume you would copy it to the microsd card, point the navpath to the 'setup.exe' and let her rip!

Hey guys....I know I don't post often, and my apologies for that. There are definitely a bunch of tid bits on here that are awesome. I also picked up a ChinaVision unit last year, and loaded IGO Primo that I found online. However the maps were not the latest so I have gone back and forth over the last year looking for sites such as the GPSMapstore, but without luck there wasn't much else out there that I could see. I had a gut fear about using that site, but went against it and well...............right after my purchase there my card went fraudulent.

I monitor and stay very vigilant about my online spending. Also, for this particular card there were no other illegitimate sites for the past several months (or ever for that fact). I am not blaming them yet, as it could have been the transaction process that they use. My order still shows processing and I told my CC company that I wanted to see if I get my order before I consider that one fraudulent too.

However almost immediately after that purchase my card was traveling all over H*ll and back :) I will keep this thread updated, and I do apologize for any unnecessary fear or finger pointing that I may be leading towards, but for others that are considering this please use due caution.

Last edited:
Thanks for the warning - you just never know. FWIW, the maps from IGO8 will work with PRIMO and I have never had a problem with the seller that I get IGO8 from. (But I also use Paypal). You just have to copy the maps to the PRIMO map folder.

Got Primo and installed it last night on my Chinavasion Gen2 with 128MB RAM, 4GB internal memory and an 8GB micro SD card. Primo seems to run just fine off the 8GB micro SD card. Haven't routed with it yet, just viewed it on my commute this morning. A few first comments...

• From power on to opening Primo to satellite fix was about 45 secs this morning. Might be faster if I get out of the garage quicker. ;)
  • I like the size of the screen and the buttons. Works well with gloves.
  • Brightness is good but need to test at high noon.
  • Primo has LOTS of options... still trying to figure them all out. Not as simple as a Nuvi, but wasn't expecting it to be.
  • I had no trouble with screen resolution, i.e. I didn't have to change any system files, just set the nav path and it worked.
More later...

Last edited:
Glad to know plain Primo 2.4 works on the Gen 2. I helped Fali with his Rage running Primo Saturday. Once you download routes, it's a bit of a 'dig' to find where they are but they do load (I transferred our LobsterSToc routes to his GPS). ;-) That's one of the nice things that the MC mod does is create a nice 'inclusive' menu with the most used functions in one place. Maybe it will be coming for the 800X480 resolution one of these days.

Glad to know plain Primo 2.4 works on the Gen 2. I helped Fali with his Rage running Primo Saturday. Once you download routes, it's a bit of a 'dig' to find where they are but they do load (I transferred our LobsterSToc routes to his GPS). ;-) That's one of the nice things that the MC mod does is create a nice 'inclusive' menu with the most used functions in one place. Maybe it will be coming for the 800X480 resolution one of these days.

I'm still trying to figure out what folder to put routes in. I guess I need to create a few in Primo and see where they go.

Paul - That won't work as Primo's 'internal' routes are actually stored in a proprietary format and in a 'database' of sorts if it is anything like IGO8 (and I believe it is). The 'route' folder is '.......\Primo\CONTENT\USERDATA\ROUTE (the .... I don't know how 'deep' your PRIMO folder is on the SD CARD - if it is the root directory or buried in a folder). The USERDATA\ROUTE folders may not exist, so you will have to create them. Then you create a .kml route and just drop and drag it in the ROUTE folder. IIRC from Fali's unit, ROUTE OPTIONS(?) on the main screen, then I think you have to press the down arrow to get to LOAD ROUTES (but I may have left out a level on that). If you can't create a kml route, I can email you one that I know loads.

Thanks Phil. I've got this... F:\Primo\content\userdata. The Route folder doesn't exist so I'll create one and then drop some kml route files into that.

FWIW, I create my routes using Motogoloco. I can then export them into a variety of formats, kml being one.

Edit: I did that (create folder and drop kml files into it) and it worked. I was able to use Load Route in Primo and my imported route came right up, with the correct waypoints. The only issue is Motogoloco and Primo route differently between the waypoints so I need to put in enough waypoints to force them to route the same. Bottom line is, the 5" and Primo seem to work well together, I just need to learn how to use them.

Last edited:
Paul - Glad you are getting it sorted out. Once you've done it, it's not really a big deal at all. BTW, the 'waypoint' difference is what is so valuable about the MC edition. Before you come to one, an icon pops up on the screen and you can delete it if you wish (as in it shows slightly off route). I have found that 'mapping' software and the maps on a GPS can have some 'disagreements' as to where something is located. :D Even various 'mapping' websites will show differences. To me the 5" is an improvement over the Rage, as the Rage was an improvement over the Peaklife.

The canceling waypoint feature is excellent because many a time the waypoint is in the centre of town and you wish to continue possibly on the bypass. Hitting the button does a recalculation and sends you on your merry way.

Hey guys....I know I don't post often, and my apologies for that. There are definitely a bunch of tid bits on here that are awesome. I also picked up a ChinaVision unit last year, and loaded IGO Primo that I found online. However the maps were not the latest so I have gone back and forth over the last year looking for sites such as the GPSMapstore, but without luck there wasn't much else out there that I could see. I had a gut fear about using that site, but went against it and well...............right after my purchase there my card went fraudulent.

I monitor and stay very vigilant about my online spending. Also, for this particular card there were no other illegitimate sites for the past several months (or ever for that fact). I am not blaming them yet, as it could have been the transaction process that they use. My order still shows processing and I told my CC company that I wanted to see if I get my order before I consider that one fraudulent too.

However almost immediately after that purchase my card was traveling all over H*ll and back :) I will keep this thread updated, and I do apologize for any unnecessary fear or finger pointing that I may be leading towards, but for others that are considering this please use due caution.

So, to follow up and close the loop here (sorry :) ) the GPSMapStore has sent my new maps out, so I don't hold them accountable. It was likely the payment transfer system was not that secure (had never used that one before) and it was likely that the payment was stole in transit across the wire.

This is just to let others know of course, and since others have bought there it was just likely I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Life goes on :)

Hi Again, Just received 4.3 version yesterday pre loaded with Primo 2.4 on the device and not on memory card.

BUT.......
primo says i am currently either in Germany or Russia, it will not receive gps signals to show my current position on the map, but it will give my current position Home address in UK, via the co ordinates using the 12 satellites Ihave checked my position on the internet. I do not know how this is.

It will not AUTODETECT GPS RECEIVER

The screen sometimes freezes and the back button will sound but i cannot return to the previous screen, unless i momentarily press the on/off switch.

I have taken it in the car to try to pick up signals elsewhere but this does not work.

It also says at times that there is insufficient program memory when running primo,(probably why it freezes) and i do not know how this can be.
Message says

Program memory is very low. You must select one task to close, or increase the amount of program memory if available.

Then there is a black dot bottom left of screen with panel stating:

“Convert some storage memory to program memory.

(you can use the system control panel to adjust memory later)”

I cannot find this , does anyone else know of it? I have asked for refund in full from vendor, but hopefully i am just doing something wrong.

Many thanks.

Mike

PS, when i look for a place locally, the sat nav guides me from RUSSIA. Was Germany until i reset it. Not a total reset, but restore to default.

Mike

Hi Again, Just received 4.3 version yesterday pre loaded with Primo 2.4 on the device and not on memory card.

BUT.......
primo says i am currently either in Germany or Russia, it will not receive gps signals to show my current position on the map, but it will give my current position Home address in UK, via the co ordinates using the 12 satellites Ihave checked my position on the internet. I do not know how this is.

It will not AUTODETECT GPS RECEIVER

From Win CE (not Primo), go into settings and check your GPS info. Does it show that you're receiving satellites? If so, go into the GPS info in Primo. Are you seeing satellite reception there? Make sure you're outside when you check this.

From Win CE (not Primo), go into settings and check your GPS info. Does it show that you're receiving satellites? If so, go into the GPS info in Primo. Are you seeing satellite reception there? Make sure you're outside when you check this.

Paul - It doesn't sound like he can even get PRIMO up and 'workable'. But your suggestion would at least see if the GPS receiver is working for sure. In MC version, if I 'touch' the satellite in the upper left corner, it gives me the 'satellite gauge'. Does standard PRIMO 2.4 do that?

Back
Top Bottom