Setting Up A Chinavasion Rage GPS

paulcb

- - - Tetelestai - - - R.I.P. - 2022/05/26
Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Paul - It doesn't sound like he can even get PRIMO up and 'workable'. But your suggestion would at least see if the GPS receiver is working for sure. In MC version, if I 'touch' the satellite in the upper left corner, it gives me the 'satellite gauge'. Does standard PRIMO 2.4 do that?
I thought he could get Primo up, maybe he'll chime in with more detail. I don't think straight Primo has that direct touch feature but I'll check... still learning that software. ;)

FWIW, I too have seen that WinCE error a few times... "Program memory is very low..." I just tap OK and things go back to normal. I see nothing in the WinCE settings to allow memory adjustment. Does anyone know if there is another OS or program to access WinCE functions? I'm pretty good with Windows (dating back to DOS and Win 3.1) but WinCE is new to me, especially on a portable device without a keyboard.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
You could 'hack' into it so you could get to wince directly. There's just one problem - if you 'blow' the hack, you've just turned your GPS into a nice brick. ;-) The 'low' memory is interesting - not seen that but I think the MC version takes a lot of stuff out of the PRIMO that you don't really need.

Last edited:

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
You could 'hack' into it so you could get to wince directly. There's just one problem - if you 'blow' the hack, you've just turned your GPS into a nice brick. ;-) The 'low' memory is interesting - not seen that but I think the MC version takes a lot of stuff out of the PRIMO that you don't really need.
Bricking is too high of a risk, for me anyway... at least for now. ;)

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
When Chinavasion and I were trying to troubleshoot my first unit, they asked me to leave it on for half an hour outside for it to try and secure the signal, it worked slightly better but it still turned out the unit was defective and I returned it for a newer one.
I'm also wondering if you can copy the software from the internal memory and put it on a card and then direct the rage to go to the memory card for the program? thus clearing some internal memory

OP
OP
Uncle Phil

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yes, the unit just looks like 2 disk drives - I've done run one both ways. But I think the issue is actually the 'ram' not the internal storage. But it might be worth a try. I prefer to run them from the microsd card so if the unit dies, I can pop out the card and put it in another unit and still have everything. ;-)

From Win CE (not Primo), go into settings and check your GPS info. Does it show that you're receiving satellites? If so, go into the GPS info in Primo. Are you seeing satellite reception there? Make sure you're outside when you check this.
Thanks for the prompt replies. If i go into the satellites without primo running, it shows i receive 12 sats. on the gps info, and when i reset these they reset and come back. the co ordinates show my home address. (checked on http://www.gps-coordinates.net/), so it appears that the device is working, but for some reason will not connect to primo. I have copied primo on to memory card and inserted it, hoping to run primo off the card and not off the device. Although i can select it in the navi path, there muxt be a conflict as it reverts back to the resident flash. I do not want to uninstall primo as i do not want an quibble if i have to return the device.
it was purchased from a third party uk based, and not from chinavision,

• CPU: mstar 2531 800 mhz
  • RAM: 128MB
This appears to be the same as the 5" cpu wit 8 gig of memory.

If i set a new route with a new start point it says that it will disable the gps receiver. I tried this hoping at least that the device will start in this country, but when i plan the route and press go, it tells me that the gps receiver is OFF. When i turn ON gps receiver,it asks me if i want to delete my start point and turn on the gps receiver, so i have to do this,and enable gps receiver, it recalculates the route and i end up back in Russia again and when i press the satellite button in top left hand corner it tells me there are no satellites available.
This is so frustrating, and i do not want to break into the device.
Primo is there, it shows all the streets i ask of it, i can create a route but.........................................Primo cannot autodetect GPS receiver, and show me where i live on the map, although as i have stated, the gps info under settings detects upwards of 8 satellites and gives me my home co ordinates.

It has not frozen or sent the memory warning up since i put the calendar away in the top left hand corner. Although i cannot see that STEALING the memory from primo.

edit.
"program memory is very low" seems to only come up when i select "Auto run GPS when start up" in navigation path setting.
sometimes i can cancel but i have had to switch off with on/off button several times.

Many thanks once again

Last edited:

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
Thanks for the prompt replies. If i go into the satellites without primo running, it shows i receive 12 sats. on the gps info, and when i reset these they reset and come back. the co ordinates show my home address. (checked on http://www.gps-coordinates.net/), so it appears that the device is working, but for some reason will not connect to primo. I have copied primo on to memory card and inserted it, hoping to run primo off the card and not off the device. Although i can select it in the navi path, there muxt be a conflict as it reverts back to the resident flash. I do not want to uninstall primo as i do not want an quibble if i have to return the device.
it was purchased from a third party uk based, and not from chinavision,

• CPU: mstar 2531 800 mhz
  • RAM: 128MB
This appears to be the same as the 5" cpu wit 8 gig of memory.

If i set a new route with a new start point it says that it will disable the gps receiver. I tried this hoping at least that the device will start in this country, but when i plan the route and press go, it tells me that the gps receiver is OFF. When i turn ON gps receiver,it asks me if i want to delete my start point and turn on the gps receiver, so i have to do this,and enable gps receiver, it recalculates the route and i end up back in Russia again and when i press the satellite button in top left hand corner it tells me there are no satellites available.
This is so frustrating, and i do not want to break into the device.
Primo is there, it shows all the streets i ask of it, i can create a route but.........................................Primo cannot autodetect GPS receiver, and show me where i live on the map, although as i have stated, the gps info under settings detects upwards of 8 satellites and gives me my home co ordinates.

It has not frozen or sent the memory warning up since i put the calendar away in the top left hand corner. Although i cannot see that STEALING the memory from primo

Many thanks once again
To force it to run off the card, you could try changing the name of Primo.exe or maybe the folder that it's in, in your storage memory (flash). If it locks up, you can always go back in and rename back to original.

Alternately, you could just backup your internal memory, as is, and then delete it. If you have to send it back, just re-copy it back to storage (flash).

Else, return the unit.

Another thought - make sure your SD card is not write-protected.

Last edited:

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I'm back to my original supposition - sounds like a bad copy of PRIMO. I know IGO8 has a way to 'turn off' and redetect the GPS receiver, but I don't know about PRIMO.
Once I get home tonight, I can look into it on mine. I think there is a reset button in Primo, but not sure what all it resets.

IIRC, there is a Save folder. Delete (or rename) that folder and Primo will automatically go through the 'Setup' process when you first start it and recreate that folder.

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300
You say "i can select it in the navi path", where do you do this? I presume this is from the homescreen (after exiting Primo) > setting > Navi Path?

That should enable you to run from the SD card with Primo installed. Strange that it then reverts to internal SD. makes me think that UP's suggestion there is something wrong with the Primo install might be correct.

Why not download Primo (can be found, search on Google), install that on the SD card, do a hard reset, set the Navi path, insert SD card and see what happens.

Thanks, but i have already reset primo and the unit iself, and that is when my "current GPS position" went from Germany to Russia when i go to create a route.

Bike
ST1300
Thanks, but i have already reset primo and the unit iself, and that is when my "current GPS position" went from Germany to Russia when i go to create a route.
That is why I suggested sourcing Primo from a different source in case there is indeed a problem with it. Since you get a correct location from the device itself, the problem might be with Primo (or the way it is set up). Therefore, starting from scratch might help.

I'll try to source another copy, but have not had any luck as yet. it does appear there is a problem with it. I am also waiting to hear from the vendor.

Many thanks i will keep you posted.

mike

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
I would ask your vendor for a download link to Primo 2.4.

Bike
ST1300
here's a link for the MC version of Primo
That is a skin, not the Primo itself (the one where there has been some discussion on it not running on the newer 5" units due to screen resolution issues, anyway).

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
That is a skin, not the Primo itself (the one where there has been some discussion on it not running on the newer 5" units due to screen resolution issues, anyway).
My apologies. I misunderstood and thought we were dealing with the 4.3
But that's what I've downloaded and it's Primo with the MC skin and works on my Rage. I just had to add the maps.
I shall bow out

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
My apologies. I misunderstood and thought we were dealing with the 4.3
But that's what I've downloaded and it's Primo with the MC skin and works on my Rage. I just had to add the maps.
I shall bow out
First he said it was a 4.3, which would indicate a Rage, then he said he thought it was the 5" version so I'm not sure what he has. TBH, I'm having a little trouble following his posts.

Last edited:

paulcb

Rest In Peace
Bike
'97/'01 ST1100 ABSII
STOC #
It has not frozen or sent the memory warning up since i put the calendar away in the top left hand corner. Although i cannot see that STEALING the memory from primo.
Thanks for that tip... I'll do that too and see if my errors go away.

Top Bottom