Shinko 011

David Fyffe

Site Supporter
Bike
2010 ST1300/1978 GL
Riding season is almost over.
I have about 16000 miles on this set of Shinko 011's.
I like them , so I bought another set.
Cost is about $160.00 per set.
This summer I was caught in a down pour, must have been 3" of water on the freeway, slowed down and had no problems.

Attachments

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
This summer I was caught in a down pour, must have been 3" of water on the freeway, slowed down and had no problems.
Glad to hear you are getting some miles out of them. I just put a set of these on my 07 ST and like them so far. Much better than the Pirelli or Dunlop tires I have used. Michelin’s have a little better traction but these are great at half the price.

Bike
2010 ST-1300
I will soon be mounting my 3rd one on the rear and second one up front. Great tire. I like them better than the Pirellis and Avons that I had prior.

Igofar

Site Supporter
Bike
2023 Honda CT125A
What did the wear indicators look like?
It sure looked like you wore them well beyond when you should have changed them :rolleyes:
When you remove the tires for replacement, take a razor blade and slice down the center of the tire and show us how thin they are.
I'd be curious to know how close to cord you really were.
I've been using Shinko trials tires on my CRF250L and getting about 4k out of them in the desert.
So far, they've lasted the longest of any of the dual sport tires I've tried, I like 'em.

Last edited:
I had to zoom in and alter the rear tire photo ...

Can someone tell me what that metal looking thing is that appears to be millimeters away from the rear disc??

I thought it's the centerstand, and had to look at both my STs, but not it ... maybe it's an optical illusion?

20201031_120445-01.jpeg

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300

Can someone tell me what that metal looking thing is that appears to be millimeters away from the rear disc??

I thought it's the centerstand, and had to look at both my STs, but not it ... maybe it's an optical illusion?

20201031_120445-01.jpeg
Interesting? I'm guessing it's a jack or arm of something that's underneath his bike. It does look like the center stand leg though.

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I had 3 sets of them on my 05 ST1300 and still have one on the front wheel. They are cheap and really provide a great grip and are surprisingly good on wet.
I am usually able to keep the back one for 6000+ miles, the front one last for ever.
But my main complaint is the feeling of the bike falling in corners instead of slowly getting you to a smooth trajectory.
Like always cutting the curves and not letting the bike going on a natural path.
I recently replaced the back tire with a Michelin Pilot Road 4 and I felt like regaining control and having much more fun riding, even safer.
And yes, the Michelin are pricey!
Did you experience the same feeling with your Shinko or is it just the settings on my ST or my way to handle it ?

Bike
R1200rt
plus 1 Shinkos

20201031_120445-01.jpeg
center stand, it's actually forward of the disc...illusion.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
But my main complaint is the feeling of the bike falling in corners instead of slowly getting you to a smooth trajectory.
Like always cutting the curves and not letting the bike going on a natural path.
Maybe you need to lower the rear suspension a bit to slow the steering response.

Last edited:

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
But my main complaint is the feeling of the bike falling in corners instead of slowly getting you to a smooth trajectory
I have noticed the difference. Turn in is more neutral and not as quick. I attribute it to tire profile. Handling is very neutral an I like it.

Bike
R1200rt
Maybe you need to lower the rear suspension a bit to slow the steering response.
Fortnine explains why tires handle differently. Why some tires fall into turns while others are neutral or have to push a bit. This video uses sport tires but sport touring tire use the same technology

Sidekick

Save Ukraine Stop War!
Bike
ST1300A '05
STOC #
I have noticed the difference. Turn in is more neutral and not as quick. I attribute it to tire profile. Handling is very neutral an I like it.
Surprisingly the mix of Shinko on front and Michelin on the back works very well for me.
I still save some money there !

Bike
R1200rt
I've only got 600 miles on my new Shinko's but so far I really like them.
They fall into turns much easier than Michelin's or Bridgestone's.
Im not running them now but I thought they were great. Didn't wear them out after 6k but replaced them for an up coming long trip. I'm using H50s now, looking for more mileage. Have 12k on those right now, measured the tread depth and both front and rear are at 50%. looks like I have to plan some short trips to wear them down before taking my big trip.

Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
I recently put a Shinko se890 journey on the rear of my Goldwing, It was squirrelly from day one, seems like the belt is broken. I am sending it back to Dennis Kirk and replacing it with an Avon Cobra at twice the price after only 2000 miles. No more Shinko's for me! By the time I pay to have it removed plus what I paid to have it mounted and balanced, the Avon would have probably been a better deal. At least DK is paying to ship the old tire back to them.

Bike
R1200rt
I recently put a Shinko se890 journey on the rear of my Goldwing, It was squirrelly from day one, seems like the belt is broken. I am sending it back to Dennis Kirk and replacing it with an Avon Cobra at twice the price after only 2000 miles. No more Shinko's for me! By the time I pay to have it removed plus what I paid to have it mounted and balanced, the Avon would have probably been a better deal. At least DK is paying to ship the old tire back to them.
Are you just guessing it's the tire? That may be but are you sure the bead wasn't torn on installation causing air the get into the cords, an impact break or possibly a suspension/install issue. I have seen this many times on car tires. When you get the tire off , inspect it carefully

Sharpes, Florida , formally, Nevada City, CA
Bike
GL1800, ST1300
STOC #
I will check the tire thoroughly when I have it removed, the same people will remove it who installed it and I will be there to watch. It would appear to me that air getting into the belts would tend to cause a bubble in the tread, I have seen that before.

Top Bottom