Show me your Top Box!

STOC #
Givi E33 on my ST1100. I wanted a smaller top box that would fit my helmet when leaving the bike at work. All my other gear fits into the side bags and I did not want to have to carry my helmet with me. This box is large enough that I now have that little extra room for some extra stuff when traveling for a few days.

Attachments

Bike
2004 ST1300
The BESTEM T box is great. I was going to mount my box today but cannot find the instructions. Sure would be grateful to anyone that can scan a copy. I think it will be great too for passengers. I'll post a picture once it gets mounted :04biker:

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Well, this is just a plaster and foam concept model, but one of these days. . . .

It is a direct replacement for the passenger seat, and should be able to carry a comparable load, unlike the 10Kg (or whatever) limit on boxes that are mounted to the "luggage carrier."

Also, since it is mounted closer to the center of gravity, it should be less likely to start "wagging the dog."

IMG_0891.JPG

Last edited:

mjblair

TooTall
Well, this is just a plaster and foam concept model, but one of these days. . . .

It is a direct replacement for the passenger seat, and should be able to carry a comparable load, unlike the 10Kg (or whatever) limit on boxes that are mounted to the "luggage carrier."

Also, since it is mounted closer to the center of gravity, it should be less likely to start "wagging the dog."

View attachment 48309
I definitely like the idea of mounting over the rear seat. much better stability

Syl

Bike
ST1300a 2006
Hi,

I just finished installing the Hondaline topbox on my st1300 2006. Not much to it except... the main (plastic) mounting plate moves a bit from side to side?? I have double checked that I followed instructions that came with the box... counted number of washers installed and compared with drawings etc... Everything seems right. Is this how it's supposed to be?? It almost seems that I am missing washers to ensure the thing is sitting down nice and tight.

Thanks.

Sylvain

Harpo

Four Stars
Bike
Kawasaki VN800E
As I understand it, you should leave the black plastic plate in place and that cinches it up
nicely.

Syl

Bike
ST1300a 2006
Thnx for the reply...

I left the original stock plate in place, installed the metal plate on top. The metal piece sits fine and is rock solid... the plastic plate (the one that came with top box) which goes on top of the metal one, even with all the washers (rubber, plastic and metal) just doesn't sit in that stirdy... So I fixed it by adding another set of washers so that it now is nice and tight... no more lateral movement...

I just find it bizarre that I ran into that issue while no one else on this site reported this... but I tripled check my install and it is what it is supposed to be...

Anyhow, it is fixed now, rock solid, and as soon as the rain stops coming down I will give it a whirl with my wife sitting in the back.

B.t.w. I ordered this from David Silver Spares and cost me $600 Cdn. Got here in 5 days... pretty good service.

Sylvain

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Please check those installation instructions again.

I recall a previous thread mentioning that there was to be a little free-play to allow the topbox to move a little side-to-side, otherwise, you could get some wagging due to air flow off the rear of the box.

Let us know if you get the wooblies with it snugged down tight.

Syl

Bike
ST1300a 2006
Wow... I would be disappointed if that would be the case... having to ride along with a top case that slips 0.25 of an inch from side to side... doesn't sound right to me.:confused :confused:

I haven't been able to test this out thoroughly yet but will report back when I do.

Sylvain

Harpo

Four Stars
Bike
Kawasaki VN800E
It moved more than that before I snugged up mine .. I don't like wiggly
accessories on my bike. I've been riding mine now for three days with
the new top box snugged solidly in place and have experienced no
wobbling at all.

I mean, does the GOLD WING have a sliding top box? How about Harley
or BMW? The answer is NO.

They also short-changed me on fasteners .. only four 6mm screws for
six bosses on the base plate. The inventory even specified six screws ..
All the more reason to suspect this sliding is not intended, but the result
of incompetence on the part of the crew in charge of writing the instructions
and outfitting the hardware.

No matter, I bought two new screws and used larger diameter washers over
the small metal washers that came with the kit to snug it all down.

As posted before, the instructions are a travesty.

I love my top box, by the way. Haven't taken it off other than to practice
the removal discipline.

I keep the top box key in the locking fairing pocket on a small adhesive-bound
keyhook near the top. I unlock the fairing pocket and use the key and then I
lock up the top box and put the key back in the fairing pocket and shut it. If I
ever forget to remove the key from the top box, the open fairing pocket will
alert me to it.

That's my system and I recommend it to you folks.

Syl

Bike
ST1300a 2006
After some personal debate on wether I should allow a bit of play or not, I made sure the Hondaline top box was put on nice and tight, no movement... as I said before, I added some washers to ensure there was no play. That's how it's gonna stay as that's how it should be if you ask me.

I gave it whirl on the weekend for a couple hundred miles or so with a passenger in the back. The passenger reported that the backrest is comfortable (too much air circulation in the back for thetaste of this passenger though...).

The bike behaved very well with the box installed and 2 up.

Ready for the long summer trip now.

Sylvain

Harpo

Four Stars
Bike
Kawasaki VN800E
Looking for aftermarket cushion for the top box, now .. something somewhat thicker,
but not so expensive as the Corbin.

Top Bottom