Show us your Dual Sport!

Bike
ST 1300
STOC #
Being newly retired, the wife and I plan to take the travel trailer and some toys on the road this year. We have kayaks in addition to my bikes and I wanted something lighter than the ST to take on the road. My choice was a 2006
DL-650. It has been so far, but has not been off-road.
Hey Tom,

I'm 3 miles West of Centreville. If you get up this way stop by!!

I've been known to hit Suicide Bridge for a crab or two.

Joe

Bike
Goldwing
Just looked through the very neat thread on the dual sports. Very neat topic idea, and some neat rides. Really enjoyed the New Zealand ride by Keith_UK. BUT this Texas dude may have trouble going to work in the morning....trying to get back on my side of the road.:eek::D

Summer - Grand Forks, BC, Winter - Hemet CA
Bike
1999 ST 1100
STOC #
Keith, I enjoyed watching your video (again). We will have to make sure we get to the gulch when we head down there next January. Right now, we are leaning towards buying some DL 650's for our trip. Tomorrow we're heading over to visit a Suzuki dealer in Canada to check what the prices are here to see if it may be worthwhile to ship them over. If not, we'll probably look to buy bikes when we get to NZ.

Have you pinned down a time when you are heading there? Any word about whether Uncle Phil is going to join you?

Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
noneed
Put about 5k off road miles on the Honda XRL 650 then moved on to the current V-Strom 1k. I've still got my sights set on a 950 KTM tho.:D
I followed a KTM 950 through baja on my DL1000 and another one through the Mojave desert, In baja he couldn't lose me ( said he kept looking in his mirror and couldn't believe I was still there) and in Mojave he had to stop because of thick sand and the V made it no problem, watch out what you wish for. It's the rider not the bike.

Bike
2007 ST1300
Kawasaki Versys. Does this count? It's suppose to be an all around bike and we'll put it to the test. Just picked it up today.

Last edited:

Byron

STOC #
Well the deal has been struck. :D I had a few folks tell me that my ST was out of its' environment when I'd wonder out from time to time like in the first picture. So tonight I stuck a deal on another bike like the one in the second picture that might feel more at home in this environment. I get to pick up the actual bike on Saturday which will probably feel like it took a month to get to. :(

Attachments

Bike
st1300
STOC #
Well the deal has been struck. :D I had a few folks tell me that my ST was out of its' environment when I'd wonder out from time to time like in the first picture. So tonight I stuck a deal on another bike like the one in the second picture that might feel more at home in this environment. I get to pick up the actual bike on Saturday which will probably feel like it took a month to get to. :(

Very Cool Byron.

Congrats on the new mount.

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
I guess it's true,, everything is bigger in Texas,,:D

Byron

STOC #
Byron my condolences, you are buying a new 22 year old bike.
Yea, but when you have something right there is no need to change it. Just kidding. I looked at the V-Strom but wanted something with a little more "dirt" soul to it and didn't want to drop the money wanted for KTM's. :eek:

ST1300 Alicia

aka GSA Girl & KLR Girl
Site Supporter
Bike
BMW R1200GSA
Thats the same decision I came to. My ST1300 wasn't very good in the Dirt. You had a chance to see my Red 2008 KLR650 at Turbo Toms. I covered 650 miles that day. The KLR is What It Is. It ain't no sport bike, but it will take you anywhere. :D

Byron

STOC #
Well it's official I'm now the owner of a KLR as I picked it up this afternoon. :) I took the backroads home from San Diego and managed 234 miles. I even managed a minor tip-over at a rest stop I made so it now has a few character marks on the left front. :eek:: Pictures will have to wait till the sun comes up as I didn't pull in the drive until 9:45 tonight.

Thats the same decision I came to. My ST1300 wasn't very good in the Dirt. You had a chance to see my Red 2008 KLR650 at Turbo Toms. I covered 650 miles that day. The KLR is What It Is. It ain't no sport bike, but it will take you anywhere. :D
You're right, they are what they are and after a few farkles will be just fine for what I want to do. :D

Tubebender

Carl Azevedo
STOC #
Geez Byron,

only 234 miles! I thought you'd do at least twice that. And a tip over too!
Well, what do you think of your new mule?

Carl

Byron

STOC #
Carl,

I did get a late start. :) I think this mule is going to work out just fine. I went out again today to find a little more dirt to test it in. Here is the route in a nut shell.

I rode up to Newcomb's Ranch to get breakfast and fueled up for the day. When I gassed up it took 4.45 gal for 250 miles on the OD during yesterdays ride. After breakfast I continued N on Hwy 2 and hung a left at Santa Clara Divide Rd. I followed it all the way over to where it dumped me out on Little Tujunga Canyon Rd. I hung a left and rode past the Wild Life Way Station to Foothill Blvd. and made another left. I went left again at Oro Vista Ave. which turns into Big Tujunga Canyon Rd. and back up to Newcomb's via Upper Big Tujunga Canyon Rd. for something cool to drink before heading home. I posted some pictures of the ride here. Here is a teaser:

Byron

STOC #
Nice shots Byron.

BTW: Your chain is lose.... ;)

<D>
Thanks Dan. I adjusted it last night. I have my Thermo-Bob coming in this week so I have to run the full tank dry to make it lighter when I take it off. I hate when that happens. :)

By the way, I think I cured the front end sliding out in the turns when on dirt. Seems the prior owner had the tire pressure up higher than they like to be in the dirt. I dropped the pressure down to 21 psi and seemed much better in a limited test.

Tubebender

Carl Azevedo
STOC #
Front end sliding in dirt? No, that never happens!

In case you can't tell, I'm being facetious here. Every time I've fallen off my KLR has been a front washout. I think it's a combination of weight, high CG, and a too narrow front tire. I improved the dirt grip with knobbies at the expense of pavement grip, but in either case you do have to lower the pressures depending on terrain. I'm sure you know this, but since it was me that made sure the tires where properly inflated before you picked it up, I couldn't resist giving you an ear full! :p::):rolleyes:;)

I think I need to get up your way, I want to ride Cleghorn and some of those other roads.

Carl

Last edited:
Top Bottom