Show us your Dual Sport!

STOC #
Thanks, that is good information to know. BTW, it was not planned that way, I just got lucky this time.

Tom
We both did, the salesman I spoke to wasn't sure, but since there wasn't anything in his documentation that said it wouldn't work, I was told I could return the rack if it didn't work. Took me a day of brainstorming to come up with a solution. I might have been able to make some other brands work, but they wanted close to $200 for the rack. I wasn't willing to be out of pocket that much if it didn't pan out. With the $99 you sell the rack for I figured it was worth the risk. I've blown nearly that much on a few RTE's.

STOC #
Just made my first outing with the new Turbo City Borrego Rack. Went out for an afternoon of tooling around in the desert and shooting.

The Rack performed flawlessly.

On another note: I know people like to say how capable the ST is on dirt, where does that come from? Last Sunday I went to the same location I went shooting today, the BMW was taken apart for the rack install, and the first phase of the StarCom install. While I was able to get to the place I shoot on the ST, it wasn't fun. The front end was constantly moving around, in as little as 1 inch sand, and the short rake meant I felt every stone I crossed. The place I shoot is about 4 miles down a track littered and strewn with baseball and softball sized rocks. On the BMW I can cruise along at 25 to 35 mph. On the ST it was scary above 15 mph. A lite Dual Sport is the perfect compliment to the ST.

Attachments

Last edited:
I have an 07' KLR650 and I like it, but needs quicker revs and less weight. I have been stripping her down alittle at time. I carry a cortech tailbag and thats it. I will drop front sprocket to 14, I want more wheelies. The Metzlers knobbies do well in most conditions even deep sugarsand, always more throttle,Grip puppies help too. I wipedout recently, which didn't hurt, this time when I lifted that Fat pig I didn't have my arm in the same spot I usually use to lift her up. At about 80% of the lift complete, my right forearm muscle and bicep muscle ripped out from the inside of my elbow. Yep that hurt like hell. I finished getting the bike up, but the last 2 months I have been on light duty trying to heal. I am ready to ride and play in the dirt. I can't lift the fat thing with one arm. Damnit!
Less weight would be nice, cause I will fall down again, I'm sure. :biker:

Later Vern

rickj

Former ST1300 Rider. FJR now.
Bike
2012 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
Here's the Dakar I just picked up. That's my friend Don (Maldos) straddling it, with me and Marc (Mandel) looking on. Picture taken at this weekend's RTE at our house.

Rick

John_Diego

Site Supporter
Bike
ST-1300/GL1800
After months of talking about it. I finally got a brand new 2009 KLR650, in the fast color BLACK. I think I'll take those green decals off they my slow me down.

Farkles on the way; Corbin Dual Platform low seat, I need that. And Cortech soft bags and tail bag. Todd (MeanST) has a set for his VFR and we tried them on the KLR. It looks like they will fit perfectly on the KLR without any hard mounts. I may make an additional heat shield for the muffler just in case. They will be here in time for SeaSToc:)

Let's Ride, John

Attachments

OP
OP
Raven

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
Wow, there's enough new (and old) dual sports around that SeaSTOC may become DS-STOC instead!

Nice looking KLR.

rickj

Former ST1300 Rider. FJR now.
Bike
2012 BMW R1200 GSA
STOC #
After months of talking about it. I finally got a brand new 2009 KLR650, in the fast color BLACK. I think I'll take those green decals off they my slow me down.

Farkles on the way; Corbin Dual Platform low seat, I need that. And Cortech soft bags and tail bag. Todd (MeanST) has a set for his VFR and we tried them on the KLR. It looks like they will fit perfectly on the KLR without any hard mounts. I may make an additional heat shield for the muffler just in case. They will be here in time for SeaSToc:)

Let's Ride, John

Hi John,

There was a rumor afloat during Saturday's RTE about your getting a KLR. Very cool! Nice looking bike. There are lots of us "old guys" trying out DS. It will be interesting to see how we do.

Alaksa next summer?

Congrats!

Rick

John_Diego

Site Supporter
Bike
ST-1300/GL1800
Hi John,

There was a rumor afloat during Saturday's RTE about your getting a KLR. Very cool! Nice looking bike. There are lots of us "old guys" trying out DS. It will be interesting to see how we do.

Alaska next summer?

Congrats!

Rick
Rick,

Alaska is definitely on my to do list! But I don't know if 2009 is going to be the best time to do it. Keep me posted on your plans, I'm a maybe at this point.

Sorry I missed your BBQ! I woke up Sat AM not feeling to great and after I got back from the dealer I was really feeling sick, didn't put any miles on the KLR until Sunday.

Let's Ride, John

STranger

Jay Knight
Bike
99 ST1100
STOC #
I have an 07' KLR650 and I like it, but needs quicker revs and less weight. I have been stripping her down alittle at time. I carry a cortech tailbag and thats it. I will drop front sprocket to 14, I want more wheelies. The Metzlers knobbies do well in most conditions even deep sugarsand, always more throttle,Grip puppies help too. I wipedout recently, which didn't hurt, this time when I lifted that Fat pig I didn't have my arm in the same spot I usually use to lift her up. At about 80% of the lift complete, my right forearm muscle and bicep muscle ripped out from the inside of my elbow. Yep that hurt like hell. I finished getting the bike up, but the last 2 months I have been on light duty trying to heal. I am ready to ride and play in the dirt. I can't lift the fat thing with one arm. Damnit!
Less weight would be nice, cause I will fall down again, I'm sure. :biker:

Later Vern
I'm running 14/45 spocket for the site that must not be named in certian locations. With the carb slide drilled out the revs go up and so does the front wheel:D:D:D Just say bye bye to the top end got the st for that

Bike
2018 Gold Wing
STOC #

Let's Ride, John
John, patience and a hair dryer or heat gun will take most of the decals off. You may have to use Goo Gone to get some of the residue off. Congrats, you have to know I was bit upset when the '09's were announced and that black one showed up. And NO I am not trading my slow red one in on a fast black one. Mine is very well farkled and I don't want to go through that process again. Again CONGRATS!!!

STranger

Jay Knight
Bike
99 ST1100
STOC #
The funny part is the bear looks she wants to go for a ride.
Sadly the not funny part was this bear had 2 cubs inside the dumpster. She was pretty upset. My girlfriend took this shot but prior to this photo I was heading to work around 5 am. I walked right up on the bear about 4 feet from the dumpster before I saw her. She was really upset. I chased her away from the dumpster them went about my routine. Just about the time I reached my car next to the klr she started charging me. That's when I started to realize what was going on. I could hear her cubs in the dumpster. She chased me around my 4 runner about 5 times until I jumped in the passanger side and slammed the door. She ran to the drivers side as I was starting the car and charged the window. I felt really bad for the bear. She already had a radio collar on which means the park service had identified as a "trouble" bear already. I don't what happened to her nor her cubs with the exception I know the cubs got out. Simply put bears are a part of life here and we are the guests. All of this would have been avoided is someone would have simply placed the clip on the dumpster.:D

Here's my 02 XR650L on the back side of Buck Rock in the Sequoias.

And here it is cleaner in the driveway

Dan

Last edited:
Bike
ST 1300
STOC #
You guys have some fine looking bikes!!

I guess I'm getting weak and short legged in my old age, but the KLRs (250 and 650) seem awful heavy and hard to handle to me and they are toooo tall for me to be comfortable on them....tip toes in boots.

I am looking at the Yami XT 225...250 lbs, low center of gravity, just enough power to get a fellow in trouble and I sit flatfooted on them. I'm thinging of putting a trailer hitch ramp on my truck so when I go out with the canoe for a trip I can also take the almost dirt bike to run to the store or something like that. The folks who have them on Advrider seem to love them...70 mpg and 60 mph in a really light bike that should be easy to handle in the dirt.

Anyone with any experience with them?

Byron

STOC #
You guys have some fine looking bikes!!

I guess I'm getting weak and short legged in my old age, but the KLRs (250 and 650) seem awful heavy and hard to handle to me and they are toooo tall for me to be comfortable on them....tip toes in boots.

I am looking at the Yami XT 225...250 lbs, low center of gravity, just enough power to get a fellow in trouble and I sit flatfooted on them. I'm thinging of putting a trailer hitch ramp on my truck so when I go out with the canoe for a trip I can also take the almost dirt bike to run to the store or something like that. The folks who have them on Advrider seem to love them...70 mpg and 60 mph in a really light bike that should be easy to handle in the dirt.

Anyone with any experience with them?

If George doesn't pipe up get ahold of him. I think his Yamaha is a a 250.

OP
OP
Raven

Raven

"two wrecks" - RIP ACL
Bike
Aprilia Caponord
STOC #
The XT's are great and a blast to ride. One of my riding buddies has one and they're certainly much more dirt-worthy than some of the bigger bikes. There are definitely places I hesitate to go with my XRL that I don't even think twice on the XT.

I probably like the TW's even better, though. The TW's have that chunky wide back tire and are loaded with torque. We use them as trainer bikes and I had the chance to take one on a little trail ride - what a hoot! Makes one want to go out and do hill-climbs! Truly a rider friendly, go anywhere dual sport. If I had some extra $, I'd buy one in a heart beat!

Come to think of it, I remember reading over on the ADVrider board about a woman from Japan who was doing a round-the-world ride on either an XT or TW and it was running like a champ. Definitely decent bikes and good choices if you'd rather not get a tall bike.

Last edited:
STOC #
Time for an update:

I've made alot of changes I replaced the blown rear shock, and I've added a Starcom1 intercom with BlueTooth adapter, Two Way Radio inputs, MP3/FM player. I've added ram mounts for my Cell Phone, Midland GRMS, and Garmin GPS. I've added a rear luggage rack, fairing crash guards, Fastway Foot Pegs, Aux lights, Wunderlich Windscreen, heated grips and got awesome deals on a tank bag and tank panniers. I bought them at Amazon.com the price changes alot, so keep checking. I paid $38 Delivered. They are a great look and match to my Rapid Transit Bradley Tank Bag I picked up on a closeout sale at NewEnough.com for $22 delivered. My main purpose for buying the panniers was for wind protection on cold mornings. I am in the process of making rigid forms to keep them opened up, but for now I just threw a bath towel in each. The difference is amazing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom