Sourcing a part (SMC) and not having to pay my liver..!!

diferg

Dan & Ingrid
Bike
2006 ST 1300
Congratulations @The Dark Shadow. You have successfully mastered a complex mechanical issue that a lot of self-proclaimed mechanics and dealerships (thats why we call them STealers) would have only corrected after much parts replacement and hours labor charged. There is a wealth of information and experience on this site. I hope many others will use it with success as you have. :hat1::wave1::woohoo:

OP
OP
The Dark Shadow
Congratulations @The Dark Shadow. You have successfully mastered a complex mechanical issue that a lot of self-proclaimed mechanics and dealerships (thats why we call them STealers) would have only corrected after much parts replacement and hours labor charged. There is a wealth of information and experience on this site. I hope many others will use it with success as you have. :hat1::wave1::woohoo:
Thank you!!

I think I'll write a quick note and drop it off at the local shop that I used to use for my work. I don't want to be mean or rude, but they should be aware that they lost business and were entirely WRONG!!!

Bike
2010 ST1300
Thank you!!

I think I'll write a quick note and drop it off at the local shop that I used to use for my work. I don't want to be mean or rude, but they should be aware that they lost business and were entirely WRONG!!!
Sadly, it won't make a difference. More ST owners here have received poor service from their dealers than have been satisfied with the work.

I was taken to the tune of $1000 on my ST by the local Honda dealer. I agreed to the work, hoping he mechanic knew his stuff. He took the bike for a ride, came back and tried to excise the 'klunk' and failed. A Guzzi friend mentioned an independent mechanic who had worked on his Goldwing. I took it to Kevin with my shop manual. Kevin went over the bike with a stethoscope, localized a new noise and fixed it. (He told me he read the manual the day before he did the work.) The dealer had not only been looking in the wrong area, but had created a problem that did not exist. I spoke to the owner - she said she would investigate and got back to me - the mechanic had denied doing anything wrong. Had she offered me only the $350 Kevin charged to fix this problem - even if it were tied to store credit - I'd still be her customer.

Hello All,

I'm in Nova Scotia. Price for replacement SMC full assembly (called a "bracket" according to the parts rep - don't ask for SMC because they won't know what it is) is $308 CDN plus 15% tax. Total about $360 CDN.

QUESTION #1: Does anyone know a source where I can get this part cheaper...??

I'm not 100% sure the SMC is dead. One fellow just posted that SMC was replaced with brand new, but the back brakes are still binding. So, I'm not looking forward to paying $360 CDN and labour costs to replace the SMC and still look forward to the possibility of binding rear brakes.

And the fellow that just posted that his back brakes are still binding said he replaced with OEM pads, not the "thicker" aftermarket EBC pads... I just ordered OEM pads. Dunno if it will do a thing...

Question(s) #2: I read that some people modified their brakes to remove the SMC from the system. Will this kill the ABS feature...?? How easy or difficult is this...?? Should I just sell the bike and take thousands of dollars loss...??

Seriously, I'm filled with stress and anxiety... This was my dream bike for about 18 years...
BRACKET SUB-ASSY., L. FR.

06454-MCS-G03

$195.84
$135.71
Just got one last week. This online store has filled 4 orders of parts for me with great service and pricing 35% off list. Hope this helps in the future.

OP
OP
The Dark Shadow
How did you make out on your trip? Did the brakes act up?
Thanks for checking in! I was planning on posting an update but I've been pretty busy since I got back. Now I've got a lull again.

Trip was excellent. Brakes are noticeably free wheeling. (For example, even on a reverse incline you can feel the bike move backwards more easily!)

Bike handles wonderfully, as we all know. I liked the Pirelli Angel GT2 tires a LOT, but since it was mostly big-highway driving, they flattened in the middle a bit more than I'd wanted. I tried a slightly higher PSI (44 front, 45 back... The back is 180-55) and that likely accentuated the flatness.

I still think the bike needs lower RPM at cruising speed. There is SO MUCH torque in the engine even at 3000-3500rpm, that it doesn't make sense for it to be geared for over 4k rpm at 75mph/120kph. Mileage could be much better at these speeds with lower rpm.

My next project is to do my first oil change. Got myself some fresh crush washers and some new 10w40 Royal Purple oil for wet-clutch motorbikes. Gonna leave the filter in for this oil change, especially since it'll be my first, and I'll be glad just to get the oil changed.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Good to hear that all went well, happy to hear that.
Did you notice an improvement in your fuel consumption compared to before servicing your brakes?

Straight high speed riding on major highways flattens out tires. Not much you can do if that's the road that you are on, except find some twisties.

Have you ever closely monitored your MPG meter while riding? In fifth gear, I get higher MPG when running up around 4,000 RPM than down at 3,000.

Why not change the filter while you're there, not a big deal at all.

Top Bottom