ST1100 Timing Belt replacement source

AZst1100

Newby
Bike
'98 GL1500se
Well,

I am in sticker shock. The OEM timing belt is about 85-90 bux depending on HDL or cheapcycleparts.

I haven't found anyone else cheaper.

My goldwing 1500 has some Gates belts available from car auto parts stores.

Any other belt sources for the ST1100 besides OEM?

Bike
2014 Super Tenere
STOC #
The timing belt is a critical part of the 1100 design. I would not short change your machine. Get the OEM belt.

Depending on your mileage, if the original belt is looking good then wait til 100k to change it.

Gates have a belt listed for the ST11, and it may even be the one Honda uses. I bought a Honda one for A$100 delivered from the US and thought that was cheap...try A$220 in Australia. At $90 I would be more than happy to prevent the motor destroying itself.

OP
OP
AZst1100

AZst1100

Newby
Bike
'98 GL1500se
Thanks guys, appreciate the reports.

I did discover the NAPA #250325 and only 1 in stock down in Georgia. It is cheap also at $97 & change plus shipping.

I'm going to go with HDL and the OEM belt.

John

Thanks guys, appreciate the reports.

I did discover the NAPA #250325 and only 1 in stock down in Georgia. It is cheap also at $97 & change plus shipping.

I'm going to go with HDL and the OEM belt.

John

You know it makes sense...cheaper than a new engine

OP
OP
AZst1100

AZst1100

Newby
Bike
'98 GL1500se
Well, had a change of heart. I wanted to get this done this coming weekend while the bike is on the work table. Called 3 places to order the belt, and all of them told me that they only order it as required from Honda's warehouse. Delivery 10 days.

So, shifted gears and went back to NAPA, more talking reveals that it is a Gates Belt and from my back history on Honda Belts, they are supplied by Gates.... so, I ordered in the NAPA belt. Will be at the shop here by Thursday, Friday latest..

Meets my needs. I prefer to pay up front, Honda says the belt should be inspected at 60,000 miles. Aw gee, tore all that stuff off just to look at the belt? Um, I think I will just replace it and forget the dern thing for as long as I own this bike. I'm 67 and got a beautiful '98 GL1500SE, gonna be awful hard to wear both of them out before my legs get too weak to hold either of them up.

OP
OP
AZst1100

AZst1100

Newby
Bike
'98 GL1500se
Hi all;

Just wanted to thank everyone for all the great help in the different threads I have started asking for advice.

I'm a total newbie with the ST1100, and in fact, I have not even seen my ride in person yet.

I just got these pictures a few minutes ago from my good friend Andy over in Arkansas. He and a good friend of his have been going over my bike to be sure it is road worthy and ready for a long ride to Arizona for its' permanent home.

I'm really excited about this newest addition to my garage. My '98SE GL1500 will now have some company to talk with in the future. :D

Andy and I have been pulling all the good info we could from this forum, and what a great help it has been.

The pictures will show some of the work, the handlebar risers are really noticeable. New brakes and the new Stainless Steel brake lines though you can't see. Andy is the source for those lines. He has a distributorship with the vendor, so I got my new lines at cost.... Can't beat that!

The new timing belt is on, new spark plugs, all filters changed, brand new Z6 tires on it and all the little PM issues have been dealt with.

I am so pleased. a good friend like this, just cannot be bested. Andy is awesome, thank you Andy Williams.

Oh, the GL1100 you see is Andy's personal ride.

John

Pictures here at this link:

[ame="http://s895.photobucket.com/albums/ac160/DryHeat_2009/ST1100/?albumview=slideshow"]Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Bike
1995 ST1100
STOC #
This is relevant to my interests.

I just picked up a 1995 ST1100 with 79k on the clock. It's going to need the belt swapped soon.

Bike
BMW R1200RT
Is there an age limit (in years) for these timing belts? I am looking at a 96 model that has very low miles and am wondering if I can use the age of the timing belt in negotiating a lower price. Based on my limited research, I see there is an inspection required at 60k and a replacement at 90k. Will these belts rot due to lack of use?

STOC #
If you are the worrying type, 10 years is a good recommendation, regardless of mileage. My 96 Prelude is 4 years overdue but only has 70K on it, with a new belt on the shelf. If you can keep oil off the belt it will last longer than one that is contaminated.

Last edited:
OP
OP
AZst1100

AZst1100

Newby
Bike
'98 GL1500se
Did you use the NAPA belt?

Wayne

Yes I did Wayne. Even though it was priced higher than the OEM belt which was not in stock at any of the online or local stores.

The bike is being worked on in Arkansas by a good friend, and his time is extremely limited due to his job. So, since the NAPA belt was in stock, I had it shipped 2 day straight to Arkansas and he got it, put it on and checked it out.

Another mutual friend of ours who is a Honda mechanic during the day (spends his off hours working on bikes for free???) was there when the belt was installed and he rolled the engine over 3 full cycles by hand. "just to make sure" :)

You just can't get any better than a gaggle of good friends who:

1) found this bike sitting in a hidden corner for cheap
2) rode it home and noted a few issues
3) felt guilty that they had conned me into buying this thing
4) didn't want to get shot if it broke down on the ride from Arkansas to Arizona
5) made damn sure every thing that might go wrong got PM'd and/or replaced.

Yep, good friends are nice to have.

John

Bike
'98 ST1100
Yes I did Wayne. Even though it was priced higher than the OEM belt
Thanks!
I can get the NAPA belt for $77 and I'm in the NAPA store every couple of weeks. I try not to go to the Honda dealer for anything.

Wayne

I just got a timing belt from Bikebandit. It was about $110 delivered with an AMA discount.

I got it in about a week and didn't have any problems it was an OEM Honda belt.

Last edited:
Bike
1998 Valyrie
Guys, I'll probably be changing my timing belt this winter. Anything else I need to change while I'm in there? Thanks

Top Bottom