R.I.P. - 2021/08/07
Rest In Peace
Bike
04 GL1800 Past tense
STOC #
Good to know about these. now I just need to put on another 40 K

Bike
92 ST1100
Well, hope the 'cogs' line up perfectly for you all using basicly aftermarket. I just advise this as my oldest son a few years back replaced timing belt on the Toyota Celica he had. with a gates belt from Napa. Had a faintly audible wine and by the time he got back to Cantafordya at the Navy base it 'let go'. Fortunatly being a 'free run' motor, no damage done and put back on an OEM belt from Toyota. Cogs not perfectly spaced and 850miles wiped it 'clean'........JAT, and IMO not hardly worth saving a few bucks. Could be real costly since these are NOT a 'free run' motor. Not meaning to 'rain' on you alls parade, but something to consider...;)

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Not meaning to 'rain' on you alls parade, but something to consider...;)
Another, IMHO as well important thing to consider, is replacement of spanner- and idler pulley...

A recently obtained '94 with 194000km/121000miles on, which obviously received a new t/belt in the past, but showed an awfull grinding noise on the valve train...
Turned out that the idler pulley bearings had >1mm clearance, causing a rattle in there like a bag of cloth pins...

Bike
2006 ST1300
Keep in mind that Gates is the top belt manufacturer, and is an OEM supplier to many brands. There is no reason to question their quality. Might you get a defective product? Its possible- no more so than any other brand. I've been using Gates belts all my life, and never had a premature timing belt failure of a Gates product.

When we did Mountain Mike's bike I checked out the belt. Although it was still early compared to what the manual states as a replacement interval, the bike was old enough I felt better putting a new belt on. Upon removal, the old belt was just showing signs of cracking. At the same time I inspected the water pump for any signs of looseness, as well as the tensioner and idler. We ended up replacing one of them.

Because most of these bikes spend time sitting, and rarely get to the suggest change interval (miles) within a realistic period, I would stick to what I do for autos- 8 years or 60k miles, whichever comes first. Is it premature? Possibly. But consider the expense if you wait a little too long.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
My Gates belt now has ~50,000 miles, guess I need to take a look at it. I replaced the idler pulley along with the belt at 110,000, the original belt looked nearly new (at 11 years old) and the idler pulley had just a little play with the belt off. The new one felt about the same to me.

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Thank you all for posting this stuff, my '91 has no paperwork revealing a timing belt change since it was made. Although I have 45k on the clock and half of the recommended mileage, rubber wasn't made to last forever. I will be giving this a try, especially since George did it.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Thank you all for posting this stuff, my '91 has no paperwork revealing a timing belt change since it was made. Although I have 45k on the clock and half of the recommended mileage, rubber wasn't made to last forever. I will be giving this a try, especially since George did it.
Well you have to remember George can rebuild the bike out on the road if needed!! :D

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
Moddy, do the visual inspection first. If you observe no fraying on the leading or trailing edge, don't, You should consider letting it go for the additional miles. OTOH, your choice.

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Moddy, do the visual inspection first. If you observe no fraying on the leading or trailing edge, don't, You should consider letting it go for the additional miles. OTOH, your choice.
Other than belt breakage that I've read about, everyone seems to get their old timing belt and the new one confused if they put them together long enough. I would like to thank the 2nd owner of my ride for putting 1500 into it and riding it for 100 miles. New battery, steering bearing upgrade, could have been that a new timing belt would have gone on but people seem to do that mile related, not time. I will do this inspection soon as I will have it apart and replacing fuel and coolant hoses. They could be OE '91 as well.

Mr. BR

Just a local commuter...
Bike
'05 Yam FJR1300
I went with the Gates T325 belt as well.... ~$40 from Amazon. This is the first of many parts I'm buying for a major service on my '95 ST1100 (87K) that I'll be doing sometime this spring/summer. Timing belt, water pump, coolant hoses, valve check etc.... going to do it all at once.
Regards,
Mr. BR

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
I'm doing the same thing. I think there is at least two valves that need attention. I have an incentive to get done as soon as possible. I'm riding an '81 CM400T while the beaST is apart. So, every day I'm not done, I can ride that little 400 that is too small for me for more than one reason (Hard to believe my wife and rode that 2up for about 1500 miles in all). Now that she has a KZ750, it's no wonder people graduate smaller bikes.
Belt, valves, hoses and, oh yes, Moonshine.

moddy

the mod
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Update. Ordered the belt, I should have time to put in on in the next couple of weekends. Thank you all for doing the research for this. See you in Moonshine.

Top Bottom