T31 is dead, long live the T32.

MerlF

Chuck Welsh
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300AD 2013
6000km on a Metzler rear
12000 km on a Michelin Pilot road 4 GT rear, over the years at least 4 sets and the road 3's before them.
17000 on my first Bridgestone T31. Rear
Thought I'd made a mistake on the mileage but after checking my maintenance records, that figure is correct. Best mileage on any rear tires in ten years of riding the ST.
Looking forward to the T32's and hope Uncle Phil is wrong. But I suspect not.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
6000km on a Metzler rear
12000 km on a Michelin Pilot road 4 GT rear, over the years at least 4 sets and the road 3's before them.
17000 on my first Bridgestone T31. Rear
Thought I'd made a mistake on the mileage but after checking my maintenance records, that figure is correct. Best mileage on any rear tires in ten years of riding the ST.
Looking forward to the T32's and hope Uncle Phil is wrong. But I suspect not.
Your mileage is impressive. Are you attentive on air pressure? What pressure do you run?

I've got the T-31's on now.....

Thanks

MerlF

Chuck Welsh
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300AD 2013
Consistantly 42psi. I have pressure monitors but the tires are pretty good at staying at 42psi. I rarely have to add air.

Consistantly 42psi. I have pressure monitors but the tires are pretty good at staying at 42psi. I rarely have to add air.
Quality of tires themselves don't determine a loss, or increase, of tire pressure.

You must live in an area where the ambient temperature stays constant. That or your bike is in a temp controlled garage or storage, and rarely ride : )

The fluctuation in temperatures between daylight hours and night hours has an effect on pressure, because the air inside them expands and contracts.

The general rule is ... for every 10 degrees in air temperature change will result in one pound of pressure change. If the temp goes up, tire pressure will increase, and vice versa.

Bike
R1200rt
Quality of tires themselves don't determine a loss, or increase, of tire pressure.

You must live in an area where the ambient temperature stays constant. That or your bike is in a temp controlled garage or storage, and rarely ride : )

The fluctuation in temperatures between daylight hours and night hours has an effect on pressure, because the air inside them expands and contracts.

The general rule is ... for every 10 degrees in air temperature change will result in one pound of pressure change. If the temp goes up, tire pressure will increase, and vice versa.
Tires also loose air from permeation

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Your mileage is impressive. Are you attentive on air pressure? What pressure do you run?

I've got the T-31's on now.....

Thanks
From my experience, style of riding is at least as important as tire pressure.

At a steady 70 mph, it takes very little horsepower to maintain speed (maybe 20-25 HP). However, if you're constantly slowing down and speeding up (and especially if you're ham-fisted), then you're putting waaay more power through that tire. Tire deformation, shearing effect, and heat all increase. And that's what wears out a tire.

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
6000km on a Metzler rear
I changed out my last Metzeler Roadtech-01 180/55zr17 HWM-spec at 22,000km. It was beat. I have another on there now,, and, I have another in the basement ready for next summer (should be good till the middle of 2022). Premium price tires should deliver exceptional performance. Otherwise they are just a rip-off. Cheers,,, CAt'

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
I thought it was just me. It normally is. Since I've been running T31's checking tyre pressures can just about be forgotten. They haven't needed air for months. Previous Bridgestones always required regular topping up.
Strange innit.
Upt'North.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
Mine, too. Every set of tires has done the same thing. I don't know how there are guys who get away with never needing to air up tires.
Myself also.....I always see a loss in pressure after weeks of use, or non use. I always check before a significant ride. Some don't?? A few years ago, my friend and I went for a 2 hr ride through some twisties at fairly high speeds. I was surprised at his riding, he's older than me. When we stopped to eat, he said his bike felt loose on the turns. :) Out comes my air gauge and guess what I found? 22lbs of air in his freaking tires!!!! (same size bike as mine)

What I can dare to guess is that some of the tire installers could be cleaning the rim surface properly where the tire seats, before install. That may alleviate the noticeable pressure loss? Air pressure loss over time is normal for me though.....

larryg

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
I thought it was just me. It normally is. Since I've been running T31's checking tyre pressures can just about be forgotten. They haven't needed air for months.
Upt'North.
Similar here with my T31s, and previously the T30s. I check them religiously, but seldom have to top off - except when ambient temp changes.

Bike
'05 ST1300
As a friend pointed out years ago, we live in a time where 90% of us would struggle to use 90% of a current tire's performance.
We are blessed to be riding in these times, are we not?

jrp

Bike
ST1100AW
STOC #
If I remember correctly the rubber that hits the road is about the size of a credit card. So 13% may sound like a lot but in reality it isn't much and how do we really know is not 12%. And the extra 10% of a 6,000 mile tire, an extra 600 miles, well that remains to be seen AKA "I always ride on perfect roads" No doubt it's a better tire but after 3 -4 years running you would think they could do better than 10%. I would be shocked if my mutual fund only increased 10% after 4 years. IMO
Most likely the low hanging fruit was picked a long time ago in terms of tire technological advancement. Now the increments are going to be smaller, especially when you take into account that the tires have to be affordable.

Jeff

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
Most likely the low hanging fruit was picked a long time ago in terms of tire technological advancement. Now the increments are going to be smaller, especially when you take into account that the tires have to be affordable.

Jeff
Maybe not Jeff..........
Obviously I and no other person can give a ride report on the 32, that's only known to Bridgestone at this stage, but, when I look back to the 23 only 5 years ago and the 31 today it is chalk and cheese.
The 23's were destroyed after a 5000 mile trip with the front tread pattern worn out of recognition, the 31's take this sort of long distance demanding ride with ease and the wear is uniform and mileage consistent.
Will the 32 be the same leap forward, who knows, but if it equates to 10% extra mileage they're paid for anyway.
We'll see.
Upt'North.

Reactions: jrp

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Well I can't say anything about T32's yet either, but my days old T31 rear sure feels nice vs the worn T30 that was on it.

Top Bottom