The electric PAN - ST1300 - my next project.

OP
OP
technotony007

technotony007

Marvellous !
Bike
2005 Pan Euro ST1300
Hopefully your key will be made out of something a bit more robust then steel. I'd worry that the torque from the electric motor might shear the key off. (Which might be better than snapping the U joint!)
The key will be made out of a harder steel , such as tool steel or silver steel , or harder EN equivilent.

regards

Tony

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Well ladies & Gents,

I thought it was about time , I gave an update on my Electric pan project to date. I have had a few bum steers and followed the wrong paths but think now I am heading on the right one.
Hey thanks for the update! Also glad to see you're undeterred by a few bunny trails and that you seem to be steady on. I'm really hoping you reach that MOT phase. Great pics and can't wait to see more! Best of luck to you!

Bike
Moto Guzzi V7 850 Sp
What a cool project! Have you considered the idea of using a motor that lives in the rear hub? There are some being developed for automobiles. That would free up your engine/transmission space and weight for batteries. Setting the motor up so that it works as a brake (generator) you could recover energy while running downhill. In any event, please keep posting as your project moves forward.

OP
OP
technotony007

technotony007

Marvellous !
Bike
2005 Pan Euro ST1300
What a cool project! Have you considered the idea of using a motor that lives in the rear hub? There are some being developed for automobiles. That would free up your engine/transmission space and weight for batteries. Setting the motor up so that it works as a brake (generator) you could recover energy while running downhill. In any event, please keep posting as your project moves forward.
I did consider using a hub drive , but the engineering involved with converting the shaft drive and swingarm put me off. This project i am undertaking , is going to be in two parts , two keep me busy... :

1. The first construction will be to fit an direct electric Motor to drive onto the OEM drive shaft as a direct replacement for ICE motor.
2. The second construction will be to cut the ICE engine ( barrels and head) off an St1300 original engine. Graft the same Electric motor onto , as to the power to gearbox directly , so i still have the use of clutch , gears etc.

hope this makes sense.

regards

Tony

Bike
2010 ST1300
I wonder about getting insurance for the bike. Here I'd expect the big companies would shy away from a home built electric bike. Come to think of it, I wonder what folks who build their own hot rod or other car do for insurance - and there are a lot of these for sale on various websites. It is one thing if you run the vehicle off road, another if you drive it around town.

OP
OP
technotony007

technotony007

Marvellous !
Bike
2005 Pan Euro ST1300
I wonder about getting insurance for the bike. Here I'd expect the big companies would shy away from a home built electric bike. Come to think of it, I wonder what folks who build their own hot rod or other car do for insurance - and there are a lot of these for sale on various websites. It is one thing if you run the vehicle off road, another if you drive it around town.
Hi SMSW,
The only real thing i am changing on the bike , is the propulsion system. The brakes , suspension, lights , horn etc. will all be very much standard. These are the main things the UK ministry of transport annual test focus's on. The Registration document stays the same , and the only thing that changes from petrol to electric.

Hence a big saving on £80 road tax per year , as that is now Nil.

Spoke to a few insurance companies , and there was no real concerns. its looking to be in the region of about £200 to £300 per year insurance.

i will look into it abit more deeper , once the bikes finished.

regards

Tony

OP
OP
technotony007

technotony007

Marvellous !
Bike
2005 Pan Euro ST1300
Further to gentle reminder , The latest for my Electrical upgrade is: I have tryng to get my battery frame to fit / mount inside the frame. Currently i have covered the battery box with masking take and attempting to cut sections off the currently fowl the frame . Once this is complete i will drill and attach the mounting bolts.

then the mounting on the motor commence. ( basically an adjustable bolted L shape bracket.)

Its a bit difficult to progress at the moment , due to work commitments , but I will be in revert shortly , with an update and progress with photos.

Rome was not built in a day , but i will get there :thumb:

OP
OP
technotony007

technotony007

Marvellous !
Bike
2005 Pan Euro ST1300
The EV project is no longer ................. :rolleyes: The theory / storey behind to date is , I had everything sorted for be fully electric. The issue that got me in the end was, the size of Nissan Leaf batteries I was using. I Seriousely got my maths wrong. I bought seven batteries , and tried to fit them in the Adhoc chassis i mad . I then realised , that I really needed to fit 14 , so the range at best was only going to 80 at the most :biggrin:. My target was 300 !!!

At the moment the technology in the EV batteries is just not there, The sizes currently is just not practical. In a few years I may well try again , once the battery technology progresses /evolve

the cost to date was around £3k , and the main part of it was the batteries. with usual time at work , pressure from her indoors , and kids ,etc. it simply was impractical.

But i am not one to be beated , it is shevled for now and i am restoring my bike back to original via ebay :biggrin:

Should i start it again , when i have a bit more time , i will update on here accordingly.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
The EV project is no longer ................. :rolleyes: The theory / storey behind to date is , I had everything sorted for be fully electric. The issue that got me in the end was, the size of Nissan Leaf batteries I was using. I Seriousely got my maths wrong. I bought seven batteries , and tried to fit them in the Adhoc chassis i mad . I then realised , that I really needed to fit 14 , so the range at best was only going to 80 at the most :biggrin:. My target was 300 !!!

At the moment the technology in the EV batteries is just not there, The sizes currently is just not practical. In a few years I may well try again , once the battery technology progresses /evolve

the cost to date was around £3k , and the main part of it was the batteries. with usual time at work , pressure from her indoors , and kids ,etc. it simply was impractical.

But i am not one to be beated , it is shevled for now and i am restoring my bike back to original via ebay :biggrin:

Should i start it again , when i have a bit more time , i will update on here accordingly.
Well at least you gave it a good shot - kudos for trying!

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Thanks for the update... battery and solar tech definitely is key... would be awesome to charge a bike while riding it and get essentially unlimited miles during the day. We are a ways off... not sure I'll ever see it, assuming I can still see then. lol

Top Bottom