The end is nigh......

Bike
2014 ST1300
It had to come, particularly with it also coming for cars. Wonder if this will hasten the development of further electric bikes. I get the rationale but I wonder where all the power needed to charge these vehicles is going to come from. We are blessed in parts of Canada with significant hydro electric generating capacity but even that is going to struggle to cope with the demand. Also, what about jurisdictions, such as Alberta where I live, where there isn't that capacity and coal, natural gas etc is used to generate electricity. I've always though that nuclear power was a decent option but it's street rep sure doesn't help.

Last edited:

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
From the article:
"In the plan the Department for Transport goes on to say: ‘Zero emission motorcycles and other powered two wheelers are an efficient and clean form of mobility that can reduce congestion, improve urban air quality and reduce noise – "

How, exactly, will it reduce congestion? Will they be significantly smaller than current bikes? We are already smaller than most 4-wheeled conveyances.
And why is it, that no one seems to recognize that the majority of our electricity still comes from fossil fuels? So we will need MORE coal / gas power to run generators to have power for these electric motors, whether cars or bikes.
Solar and wind are still unreliable energy sources. And there still is no efficient, cost-effective storage for any excess power produced.
Texas, last winter, anyone?
California rolling blackouts?
Buehler?
Anyone ever seen a lithium mining operation?
And that most lithium deposits seem to be in Communist China?
Talk about "An Inconvenient Truth"...

ReSTored

Site Supporter
Bike
2019 Tracer GT
STOC #
Not a huge surprise to see this being discussed. We'll see what they settle on, I think 2030 - 2035 for implementing zero emission cars and bike is probably too aggressive.

I'd also like to see when existing vehicles will be effectively outlawed. Assuming 2035 is the magic date for new vehicles to be zero emission then what date will be put in place to retire pre 2035 vehicle? How will this be phased in?

v8-7

Site Supporter
If you calculate emissions, you must include the manufacturing process including raw materials, the mining of raw materials AND the ultimate recycling of the vehicles. From what I have read, the batteries can only be partially recycled . The advantage of ev's is not nearly as great as we are being led to believe..

Bike
2000 ST1100
Not a huge surprise to see this being discussed. We'll see what they settle on, I think 2030 - 2035 for implementing zero emission cars and bike is probably too aggressive.

I'd also like to see when existing vehicles will be effectively outlawed. Assuming 2035 is the magic date for new vehicles to be zero emission then what date will be put in place to retire pre 2035 vehicle? How will this be phased in?
The way they'll be retired is Gasoline will be 30 dollars a gallon so you ain't going to be able to keep em running. Plus figure a 90 percent reduction in gas stations. So believe me the plans are in the works. Funny how China is doubling down on building new coal fired power plants.

Bee

Bike
2002 Blue ST1100
I guess it depends a lot on which country you live in. I am resigned to this mass electrification of everything (UK) but without being political I do not think it’s joined up thinking. As others have eluded to where will all this electricity and infrastructure magically appear from? There’s a very well known phrase here about not being able to organise a p—- up in a brewery which captures how I feel about it. I suppose on one level if you have a bike on your bucket list now is the time to get it……

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
Wonder if this means "all new motorcycles" from 2035 with anything older grandfathered in or does it mean any motorcycle at all.

" The British government plans to ban the sale of new petrol-powered motorcycles. From 2035 all new motorcycles must be zero emission. "

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
The way they'll be retired is Gasoline will be 30 dollars a gallon so you ain't going to be able to keep em running. Plus figure a 90 percent reduction in gas stations. So believe me the plans are in the works. Funny how China is doubling down on building new coal fired power plants.
Couldn't agree more R.O., this week premium diesel was £7.50 an imperial gallon in the NE (England) and there are no signs it is going to get any cheaper and this government and I'm guessing yours too needs higher taxes to pay for stuff. Fuel is an easy hit and by 2030/35 it'll be way higher than it is now.
There are many cities in Europe where I can't ride the ST, not even if I pay a congestion charge. I put the bikes details in the French congestion online system a couple of years ago and I swear the software was laughing. It basically said leave your dirty motorcycle out of our cities.
It's progress.
Upt'North.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
If you calculate emissions, you must include the manufacturing process including raw materials, the mining of raw materials AND the ultimate recycling of the vehicles. From what I have read, the batteries can only be partially recycled . The advantage of ev's is not nearly as great as we are being led to believe...
Pointing that out since decades...
They're changing course every couple of years, so people (have to) buy new stuff...

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
I have my doubts about all these various government pronouncements that only electric vehicles (of various kinds) will be permitted after 2035, or 2050, or 2200, or whenever.

It's really easy for any government to "virtual-signal" today and gain public approval points by making such pronouncements, but it remains to be seen whether or not such bans on petrol-powered vehicles ever come to pass. I'm pretty sure that if electrical distribution networks begin to suffer from the load created by vast numbers of electric cars being charged up overnight, or someone discovers that end-of-life electric car batteries are worse than nuclear waste, all these noble government promises will be quickly forgotten, or dates deferred, etc.

As for the UK - the government there has demonstrated over the past 2 years that they could f'ck up the Lord's Prayer... witness the COVID statistics, the shortage of truck drivers, the Northern Ireland customs mess, etc. I think that they are just trying to score some goody two-shoes points and deflect attention away from today's catastrophes of their own making with the petrol car ban announcement.

Michael

PS: Once the government realizes how much tax revenue they are going to lose from fuel taxes, they might think twice about banning internal combustion engines.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I'm not anti EV / EM but if the power being generated to charge them isn't produced cleaner than the fuels burned in a vehicle it's a bit of a farce.

I once read about the amount of carbon created with installing a wind turbine exceeded the savings it was expected to produce over it's lifetime.
This included production of metals, plastics and all components, the transportation of all parts, the prep of the land area, overall construction and even the amount of carbon produced for the manufacturing of the concrete for the massive base to hold it.

Top Bottom