The New Goldwing

Bike
2000 ST1100
KC, The down side is 100 plus dollars a night for the "comforts". And this is for the super 8. If you can find one. Plus buying your own food instead of cooking it on a camp fire. So bring plenty of wallet.

Last edited:
Bike
1991 ST1100
KC, The down side is 100 plus dollars a night for the "comforts". And this is for the super 8. If you can find one. Plus buying your own food instead of cooking it on a camp fire. So bring plenty of wallet.
Like I said... I'm into my creature comforts. Actual bed, air-conditioning, etc... Yeah it costs. To me, worth it.

I don't denigrate (and somewhat envy) those for whom a sleeping bag etc. works...

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Hey, ya do what works for you, doesn't matter if it works for everyone just as long as you're enjoying an adventure. Life is too short.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
red one said:
Plus buying your own food instead of cooking it on a camp fire. So bring plenty of wallet.
The trade off is worth it to me. I did some bike-camping a few times and it was fun. But now I don't care for the unpacking of the extra gear setup camp pickup camp and gear etc. Some riders obviously like it. That works all around. More room at a Best Western for me.

When I travel locations of Best Westerns are part of the course plotting. Sometimes money is to be saved. Other times it's to be spent. I may get home with an empty wallet but that's OK 'cause there's ramen in the cupboard. And I had a good time.

cybervet

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GL1800BD
Hey, ya do what works for you, doesn't matter if it works for everyone just as long as you're enjoying an adventure. Life is too short.
:plus1::plus1:

Life is definitely too short to stress such things.

Do what feels right.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Time to bring this thread back to life.

Now why would anyone do this to a new less than a week old Stwing?

Attachments

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
kind of expect that from someone who will tolerate wearing a full face or modular helmet but no other protective gear. Surprised he's not in flip flops.

And that does look leaned over more than earlier models would, BUT notice it's on a road shoulder with a slight dip going away from the road so really not so much lean.

Maybe he's a new rider and just has a tip over from little experience and decided to take advantage of a photo op.

:shrug1:

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Hate to break the news to you, but wrong on most all accounts. That's Nashcat and he was moving his new Goldwing when the front wheel washed out in the mud at FerrySToc.
The tipover protectors worked as advertised and no damage occurred.
And yes the new Wing does tip over further than the old Wing from what I can tell.
BTW, the original picture did not have the head cropped and he was not taking an opportunity for a photo op. :D

Last edited:

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
While everyone was having their fun with the picture, I put another 1230 miles on it this weekend. Made it to the 3 state marker at corners of Missouri/Kansas/Oklahoma, which was down 1/4 mile of single lane gravel road.

image.jpg

And...so I won't be forgotten in the near future, here's the celebration picture from Ferrystoc.

image.jpg

Ride Safe
John

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
While everyone was having their fun with the picture, I put another 1230 miles on it this weekend. Made it to the 3 state marker at corners of Missouri/Kansas/Oklahoma, which was down 1/4 mile of single lane gravel road.

image.jpg

And...so I won't be forgotten in the near future, here's the celebration picture from Ferrystoc.

image.jpg

Ride Safe
John
Man that is one good looking bike you have there John. Even that "broke in" side looks great. I never even knew there was a monument there and I lived there 55 years.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
Well, after the 1200+ mile weekend, I found that Honda finally made a speedometer that is dead on. There is a digital readout for the cruise control that reads the set point. It reads the speed exactly as my Zumo GPS reads, plus the analog speedometer indicates the exact same speed. I could bump the cruise up or down by 1 MPH and the indicated speed from the Zumo would follow. Not higher, not lower, but the exact same number. Kinda spooky, it's so close.

I also checked the operation of the cruise as low as 25 MPH. Nice when you're crawling through a long school zone or interstate backup.

Ride Safe
John

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Honda has made plenty of motorcycles with spot-on speedometers. My 1986 Elite 80 is one, my 2012 NC700X manual transmission was another, and my 2015 NC700XDCT is another. The ST1300 was more of an exception than the rule.

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
The trade off is worth it to me. I did some bike-camping a few times and it was fun. But now I don't care for the unpacking of the extra gear setup camp pickup camp and gear etc. Some riders obviously like it. That works all around. More room at a Best Western for me.

When I travel locations of Best Westerns are part of the course plotting. Sometimes money is to be saved. Other times it's to be spent. I may get home with an empty wallet but that's OK 'cause there's ramen in the cupboard. And I had a good time.
Bit of a thread piracy here, but my recent trip to NESTOC was a mixed camping/hotel affair. Based on that I've decided that camping is best done when that is the objective, or when you're staying in one place for an extended time. If you are "just passing through" on your way to another destination, hotels are much simpler. When camping it took a full two hours of steady activity from the time I crawled out of the sleeping bag until I was sidestand-up and ready to roll. Probably the same for the other end of the day, though that's a less critical measurement. Would not matter whether it was on an ST or a Goldwing, or any other bike. (There- now I've brought the thread back to the original topic... :) )

Top Bottom