The New Goldwing

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
You have to consider the source... a company SELLING aftermarket suspension components and already looking for ways to PROFIT on the obvious POPULARITY of the new wing... lol.. I would not replace anything until I rode the bike a while... heck my stock suspension on my wings was always fine for me and that was the old tech.
I couldn't agree more Joe. Your comments are insightful. I saw this video and felt the same. I rode this bike for ovr an hour and I can tell you, it is the nicest riding front end and bike in general that I have ever ridden. Take one for a ride and make your own decision. I get mine this week and I have no intention of changing anything. Not to mention his aftermarket modification might not be or change the dynamics of the stock suspension. Well lets see I am sure Honda tested that front end over thousands of hours. I wonder how many hours he tested it in his testing facility? Honda is the only motorcycle manufacturer in the world that also builds F1 cars, with the success Honda has had there and that I have had with the ST, I will trust their judgement.

Last edited:
Bike
2015 K1600 GTL E
2024 Miles
I couldn't agree more Joe. Your comments are insightful. I saw this video and felt the same. I rode this bike for ovr an hour and I can tell you, it is the nicest riding front end and bike in general that I have ever ridden. Take one for a ride and make your own decision. I get mine this week and I have no intention of changing anything. Not to mention his aftermarket modification might not be or change the dynamics of the stock suspension. Well lets see I am sure Honda tested that front end over thousands of hours. I wonder how many hours he tested it in his testing facility? Honda is the only motorcycle manufacturer in the world that also builds F1 cars, with the success Honda has had there and that I have had with the ST, I will trust their judgement.
You forgot BMW. Similar setup.

STOC #
Local dealer finally has new gold wings in and got to sit on tour model. Much smaller looking and a little easier to lift off centre stand than the 2017. Can flatfoot older ones but not new one. Not sure I like it. Maybe a ride would change that. He said they delivered a few already and one guy has 6k on it already and my st13 isn’t coming out for another month. Mine is nice. Just need better seat.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I just wish they had the regular model in blue w/chrome accents like the tour version... I'd have one on order if that were the case.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
I just wish they had the regular model in blue w/chrome accents like the tour version... I'd have one on order if that were the case.
If (or maybe when) I get one, it's going to be white. I've always had a thing for white vehicles. In fact, my screensaver is a white 2018 Gold Wing. It's there just to taunt me... on purpose.

Someone here has a white ST1300. I think it looks awesome.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
ddemair said:
If (or maybe when) I get one, it's going to be white. I've always had a thing for white vehicles. In fact, my screensaver is a white 2018 Gold Wing.
I've never had a particular desire for a white vehicle but on occasion I see something that looks ok in one color and great in white. That how I see the Wing Tour. It's one of my desktop images. I haven't put it in a screen saver.

I shouldn't even be doing that because I don't have room for one. I don't think so anyway...

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
If (or maybe when) I get one, it's going to be white. I've always had a thing for white vehicles. In fact, my screensaver is a white 2018 Gold Wing. It's there just to taunt me... on purpose.

Someone here has a white ST1300. I think it looks awesome.
The white has a really nice subtle flake in it that would really light up in the sun. Really nice... Just saying. :D

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
So the price tag doesn't faze you, but the lack of chrome accents on the bagger is a deal breaker? :rofl1: I love the blue too, but it'll be another 10 years before I can afford a used one.

I just love talking bikes with fellow riders. We all have our own passions and perspectives.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
So the price tag doesn't faze you, but the lack of chrome accents on the bagger is a deal breaker? :rofl1: I love the blue too, but it'll be another 10 years before I can afford a used one.

I just love talking bikes with fellow riders. We all have our own passions and perspectives.
Oh I hate the price, but it's online with the prev version and still cheaper than many other options. 23k for a dct bagger and 25k for a tour dct is what I'm seeing.

cybervet

Site Supporter
Bike
2018 GL1800BD
You can always get a blue tour and the trunk removal kit! I know, I know. That makes more $$.

Myself, I love the blacked out engine and exhaust. To each his/her own.

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
I went to the dealer yesterday and wrote them a check. My bike arrived there and I wanted to take a look at it before I picked it up today. They were going to prep it after I left. I am riding my 04' ST to the dealer today for the last time. Ole Blue has been a remarkable bike. In just under 126K it has been ultra reliable. I hope the 18' performs near as well. As many I have no intentions of leaving this website. It has been my pleasure to know so many good people that I have never met in the riding community.

Attachments

Bike
2005 st1300
I went to the dealer yesterday and wrote them a check. My bike arrived there and I wanted to take a look at it before I picked it up today. They were going to prep it after I left. I am riding my 04' ST to the dealer today for the last time. Ole Blue has been a remarkable bike. In just under 126K it has been ultra reliable. I hope the 18' performs near as well. As many I have no intentions of leaving this website. It has been my pleasure to know so many good people that I have never met in the riding community.

Beautiful... that would be my color if I were getting one

Bike
VStrom 650
Gug, good luck with the new bike, enjoy.
Honda have always looked good in Candy Red, especially when the sun shines. My CB750f2 in red looked lovely with a few rays on it.
The picture you've posted is the first to show ( at least to me ) that there is a little of the Victory Vision Tour about it, maybe it's the sloping tank or the angular bits, looks mighty fine.
Upt'North.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
You can always get a blue tour and the trunk removal kit! I know, I know. That makes more $$.

Myself, I love the blacked out engine and exhaust. To each his/her own.
Yeah but was preferring to put on my own truck of choice like a givi or shad. The Blue w/chrome reminds me a lot of my 05.
58420288_wyGV9-M.jpg DSC03786.jpg

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
cybervet said:
You can always get a blue tour and the trunk removal kit!
I've seriously considered that if I were to get the Pearl White DCT the factory trunk would go and a panel kit would replace it. Then a Shad 58X would take it's place.

The next consideration would be removing the Shad when it wasn't needed. That might mean an additional panel to replace the one with the Shad hardware installed. Just a thought. But I know there'd be no use for the factory 'Wing chair.

My local dealer still hasn't got the 'Wings in yet and it's still wet out.

Bike
BMW R1200RT
I really like the new 'Wings myself, but I need to see a few aftermarket seats options before I pull the trigger on one. That seat ridge pushes me a little too far forward resulting in a little too much knee bend for my comfort. I emailed the folks at Ultimate Seats last week and they said they are still working on the molds and patterns, and would not have anything available for several months. I'm sure all the seat builders are working feverishly on their seat designs for the new 'Wings.

Also keeping my eyes opens for highways pegs. I understand Mik-o-Pegs has a design they are putting together.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I thought this was interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTpskmEWSVQ

Basically, they're talking about how limited the travel is on the front suspension of the new Gold Wing. It's the first time I've heard it mentioned so I'm not sure if it's an issue that needs fixing, but the information in the video pretty informative.

What they didn't mention is that unlike a telescoping front fork, the shock travel is not the same as the wheel travel. I don't know what the correlation is, but I'm pretty sure that due to the design, the shock travel is less than the front wheel travel.
They've released videos every couple of days. Problems with shock travel, head bearings, (there as big as softballs!) tie rods, etc. Then they release a video of "I never told you not to buy one."

Either Honda is having problems with that front end or Traxxion Dynamics isn't being honest. Good place to learn about the new front end though.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I have no opinion as to the competency or honesty of Traxxion as I know nothing about them. I do not have a new Goldwing but do I believe that Honda has considerably more engineering experience and resources to test new designs than Traxxion does however. So until such time that there is some significant real world experience and enough accumulated mileage with this new front end to evaluate the design properly I would be inclined to do nothing if I had a new Goldwing- regardless of what Traxxion says.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Pete in PA said:
They've released videos every couple of days. Problems with shock travel, head bearings, (there as big as softballs!) tie rods, etc. Then they release a video of "I never told you not to buy one."
I've only seen the first video but that and the above make me wonder what Traxxion is really trying to do.

Drum up business? Do they do work on that type of suspension? I would think we'd hear from more sources than just Traxxion if Honda's engineering were so substandard.

All the kvetching so far (and there's been plenty) has been about the gas tank and luggage. It's early days and the new Wing could be a few weeks away from total collapse. Somehow that seems unlikely.

Pete in PA said:
or Traxxion Dynamics isn't being honest. Good place to learn about the new front end though.
Yeeaahhhh... about that... I'd probably need a better understanding going in to separate any shinola...

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
I thought this was interesting: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTpskmEWSVQ

Basically, they're talking about how limited the travel is on the front suspension of the new Gold Wing. It's the first time I've heard it mentioned so I'm not sure if it's an issue that needs fixing, but the information in the video pretty informative.

What they didn't mention is that unlike a telescoping front fork, the shock travel is not the same as the wheel travel. I don't know what the correlation is, but I'm pretty sure that due to the design, the shock travel is less than the front wheel travel.
I have been seeing these videos on you tube. Notice he is wearing a Traxxion Dynamics shirt, so you can make your own call there. Honda probably tested this front end for thousands of hours conservatively, I wonder how many hours he tested it. On the GL1800 one guy bought it and spent 10 hours labor plus parts. So as far as aftermarket goes he is not going after two or three digit financial gains, this is a BIG cost without the testing. I can say this because I have a GL1800D Tour 2018 and I can tell you that front end is the equivalent or supersedes most advances that have been done with motorcycling. Simply I love it. It handles all the bumps better, It is lighter and you can feel that, I have never done a full bar turn so easily and many other that I am forgetting right now but hope this gives a decent picture. I am a long standing supporter of don't fix it if it isn't broken. At this point in time I will stick with that. One more thing, I am a big guy and the suspension with one person on the bike is fine I am sure for someone that is say 150-175lb. For me it didn't work the way I wanted. On the dash under vehicle settings I simply set it at either 1 + baggage or 2 up riding and it feels like a sport tourer. Very happy with it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom