The New Goldwing

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Not without logging in. But I've seen plenty except for a side-by with an ST1300.
Figured that.
Don't have the side by side with a ST. Might get a side by side with a CTX later (I know that's not what you'd really be interested in though).
Here's a preview of 2 of the photos (I don't think he'll mind):

2018first GWT owned 01.JPG 2018first GWT owned 02.JPG

africord

Plains Rider
Bike
2002 VFR800
What blows my mind is that the Goldwing (not the Goldwing Tour) is less than 60 pounds heavier than an ST1300! (787 vs. 730). This is in spite of having a wheelbase that is 8 inches longer and 500cc more motor. Unfortunately, it's priced beyond what I would want to spend, otherwise, it would be in my garage in a heartbeat!

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Yet another CTX1300 owner on the CTX1300forum.com picked up his new Gold Wing Tour. He likes RED. He is also keeping his CTX, for now, but selling the extra seats he has for long distance since the GWT will take over those rides.

CTX1300 and GL1800 side by side.jpg

Some of you here have seen a CTX1300 next to a ST1300. CTX is a bit wider and longer but not as tall as the ST. This owner removed the saddlebags from his CTX so when looking at this the rear of the CTX seems narrower. It's really about the same width with the saddlebags even though the CTX bags are the same volume as on the ST (35 Liter each).

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Nice comparison, thanks!!!

Yet another CTX1300 owner on the CTX1300forum.com picked up his new Gold Wing Tour. He likes RED. He is also keeping his CTX, for now, but selling the extra seats he has for long distance since the GWT will take over those rides.

CTX1300 and GL1800 side by side.jpg

Some of you here have seen a CTX1300 next to a ST1300. CTX is a bit wider and longer but not as tall as the ST. This owner removed the saddlebags from his CTX so when looking at this the rear of the CTX seems narrower. It's really about the same width with the saddlebags even though the CTX bags are the same volume as on the ST (35 Liter each).

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Finally got to sit on and play with the new Wing today. I was surprised how much easier it was to pick up off the sidestand and to put on the center stand than my ST 1300. I liked it, but gads too many friggin switches and buttons. Can you say distracted rider? lol. I will take it out for a test ride when the weather clears up a bit here. This one was the tour/standard trans. Like others I found the latching of the trunk iffy. Windshield moved further than I thought it would. Windshield shape could have been better and it seemed kind of thin. Also climbed up in the passenger area and the floor boards seemed small and the arm rests seemed in the wrong place and to slope down, but it was on the centerstand so who knows. I thought it looked great though.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
the Ferret said:
Can you say distracted rider? lol
Some of the old high-end 'Wings had a lot of stuff going on too.

Honda thought lesser mortals might be caught in the headlights so the big knob in the tank that controls a lot of functions is turn off when the bike is underway (or maybe even just in gear with the engine running). This lessens the amount of time you might spend looking down. There still your mirrors and instruments for that. Otherwise you thumb controls on the left grip.

Learning all the controls is a good excuse for heading on the open highway. I've sat on one at the show and am now waiting for six to show up at a dealer near me!

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Actually i think that's one of the nice things about the ST 1300. Not much to play with when going down the road. It's a simple motorcycle lol.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Finally got to sit on and play with the new Wing today. I was surprised how much easier it was to pick up off the sidestand and to put on the center stand than my ST 1300. I liked it, but gads too many friggin switches and buttons. Can you say distracted rider? lol. I will take it out for a test ride when the weather clears up a bit here. This one was the tour/standard trans. Like others I found the latching of the trunk iffy. Windshield moved further than I thought it would. Windshield shape could have been better and it seemed kind of thin. Also climbed up in the passenger area and the floor boards seemed small and the arm rests seemed in the wrong place and to slope down, but it was on the centerstand so who knows. I thought it looked great though.

On my demo I found the wind management superior to my stock ST1300. There is very little turbulence in the cockpit and it was very quiet, pretty much 90 mph was the same as 60 mph.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
I looked at one today but didn't ride it. I was hoping to like it after seeing pictures of it. But it just doesn't do much for me in person. You can't fit a helmet in the trunk. The side bags don't come off, making rear wheel maintenance difficult. I don't believe you could take the trunk off of the DCT model I looked at either. I'm not in the market for a new bike so I'll still holdout for an all new ST.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I looked at one today but didn't ride it. I was hoping to like it after seeing pictures of it. But it just doesn't do much for me in person. You can't fit a helmet in the trunk. The side bags don't come off, making rear wheel maintenance difficult. I don't believe you could take the trunk off of the DCT model I looked at either. I'm not in the market for a new bike so I'll still holdout for an all new ST.
A full face or modular will fit in the trunk, I saw a Neotec fit in there during the walkaround of my demo but a Neotec with an external SENA baseplate will not allow the lid to close, the clearance is that tight.

st11ray

2006 ST1300
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
A full face or modular will fit in the trunk, I saw a Neotec fit in there during the walkaround of my demo but a Neotec with an external SENA baseplate will not allow the lid to close, the clearance is that tight.
You might fit one in the trunk if you ride around with a totally empty trunk. Most of us have lots of stuff with us already though.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
It fits in the corner of the trunk. I'm not defending the trunk size just that a helmet will fit.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
The side bags don't come off
Really? I didn't realize that.

I think that's a huge deficit and not just for maintenance, but also or storage. It means that you HAVE to use a liner and since the saddlebags have those nooks and crannies, it reduces storage capacity even more than their advertised 30 liters as compared to the ST1300 with 35 liters and detachable saddlebags.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Really? I didn't realize that.

I think that's a huge deficit and not just for maintenance, but also or storage. It means that you HAVE to use a liner and since the saddlebags have those nooks and crannies, it reduces storage capacity even more than their advertised 30 liters as compared to the ST1300 with 35 liters and detachable saddlebags.
It's a wing.. I don't think saddlebags have ever been removable on them. At least not the 1500/1800 versions. Rear wheel maintenance is a breeze on a wing, remove the rear center panel and then a cross bar and you have access to the 5 bolts that hold the wheel on the single sided swingarm. No caliper to reposition or axle or any related bolts, etc.. so getting to and removing/replacing a wheel is a lot easier than on an ST.. That's with the prev version of the wing so I don't know how the current one is configured, probably w/same rear center panel. Yup, looks like same procedure but now a muffler cover but doesn't look all that bad.

wingrearwheel.jpg

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Rear wheel maintenance is a breeze on a wing,
Thanks. I never had a wing so that's good to know.

I've also been spoiled by the removable saddlebags on the ST. On long trips, I use them as luggage and they're cavernous.

A while ago, I stopped at a paint store with my ST1300 to pick up a few small supplies, but realized I needed paint for an upcoming job. I don't recommend it because it's too easy to break something, but I was able to carry 5 gallons of paint, 2 in each saddlebag and one on the rack. I love how the ST straddles both sport and utility functionality.

Bike
VStrom 650
You might fit one in the trunk if you ride around with a totally empty trunk. Most of us have lots of stuff with us already though.
Ray, how dare you criticise the new Goldwing......you know the GW Police will come a knockin. LO blummin L.
Upt'North.

Top Bottom