Thoughts on my 2014 BMW R1200RT

Appalachian

No, the OTHER left!
Bike
Ever evolving
Thanks, Tom E.

Still loving my RT.
Agree, mate - finest machine I have ever lived on. The new RT does everything you should do on public roads better than anything I have ever owned, without tempting me to do too much more, too often. That's what the S class machines are for!

OP
OP
Bones

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
EDIT 11/10/2015: This audio noise has been fixed by a Garmin software update.

After nearly a year with the RT, there is one thing that has bugged me and, thought not "fixed" strictly speaking, the issue has been circumvented until BMW engineers get around to figuring it out. For those interested, here's the story.

There is electronic noise that comes through my 2014 RT's audio system. Imagine what a digital sewing machine might sound like with a continuous, rapid, repeating pulse. It's audible when the bike’s audio system is played while the BMW Navigator 5 GPS is installed on the bike's GPS cradle.

The sound is audible when the bike’s audio system is on and set to FM, SAT, AUX or USB. It’s easiest to hear in AUX since I have nothing attached to that audio input on my bike, but it’s also audible on USB which I do use, and on radio when there is a break, such as occurs briefly between segments. It is harder to hear when a musical composition is loud but unmistakable during quiet passages and between tracks.

The sound is audible with a BMW Communication System Bluetooth (through helmet speakers...I sold that system because the sound quality was lousy), with a Sena 20S Bluetooth (through helmet speakers or wired earbuds, which have superior sound quality), and through the bike's OEM speakers mounted in the dash (which I never use).

The sound stops when GPS notifications like "Turn left on Mountain Road" interrupt the music, but the sound returns as soon as the music returns. (Note that the GPS is paired via Bluetooth to the helmet, not to the bike's audio system.)

Turn the audio system off (there's a push button on the left fairing panel) and the sound goes away.

The sound gets louder in proportion to increases in volume of audio being played. That is, turn up the volume and the sound gets louder.

The sound appears when the key is on, whether or not the motor is running. The sound does not change in volume or frequency when the motor speeds up or slows down. That suggests it's not ignition related.

The sound appears whether or not the paired phone is connected via Bluetooth. The sound appears if the paired phone is powered on or off.

Remove the Nav 5 from the cradle and the sound stops. Replace the Nav 5 and the sound returns. I placed a friend’s Garmin zumo 665 (same form factor as a Nav 5) on the cradle and the sound was not there. I placed another friend’s BMW Navigator 4 (from his K1600GT) on the cradle and the sound was not there.

I cleaned the contacts on the Nav 5 and the cradle and gave them a thin coating of dielectric grease. The sound was still there.

I attempted to rule out interference from other electronic items. I removed the micro SD card from the Nav 5 and replaced it in the cradle. The sound was still there. I tried USB sticks from different manufacturers and the sound was still there. I have a Heatroller temperature controller. Removing that from the bike made no change and the sound was still there. I have a battery powered Gen3 Spot Locator. The sound appears whether it is powered on or off. It’s not the LED Clearwater Lights. There’s no difference in the sound when the Clearwater lights are adjusted to different dim settings. There’s no difference in the sound when the Clearwater CANopener module is disconnected from the CANbus network and the harness fuse is removed, leaving the bike in factory condition as far as electronics go.

These results suggest that I have either a bad Nav 5 or bad a cradle on the bike. At MaxBMW we tried another new-from-the-box Nav5 and the sound was still there. Then MaxBMW replaced the bike's GPS cradle with a new one and the sound was still there.

MaxBMW has been after BMW for a fix for months, but BMW hasn't come up with anything. It's in their system, it's just not getting addressed. I had been searching RT forums for a solution but it was brought to my attention that the audio system in the K1600GT/L is pretty much the same as in the RT. ("Hmmmm," said Bones.) I searched the GT forums and what do you know? The audio interference has been an issue for the K16 crowd since before the RT ever arrived in the US. BMW hasn't solved the problem yet, but a member of the K1600forum found a work-around. It doesn't solve whatever the underlying problem is, but it does eliminate the noise.

It's all here: http://www.k1600forum.com/forum/bmw-k1600-bluetooth-audio/49370-strange-noise-amp-2.html See especially post 13.

The work-around involves simply unplugging the GPS audio feed where it goes into the audio amplifier, under the pillion seat. Just like that, the noise is gone. So something related to sending GPS audio via hardwire to the bike's audio system is in need of shielding or reengineering or something. Also could be software related on the GPS. Since I paired my Sena 20S to the GPS, I get turn-by-turn GPS audio via Bluetooth anyway so I don't need the hardwired GPS audio and pulling that plug stops the noise. That said, there is now no GPS audio to the speakers, should I decide to use them. I haven't used them in a year except to make sure they worked when I brought home the bike and a couple times in the garage while trying to diagnose the noise issue.

So I'm not satisfied that the bike's audio system works properly, but thanks to the K1600 guys (especially member ABQ from Albuquerque) I've stopped the annoying noise. BMW knows about it, but when they actually get around to fix is anyone's guess.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bones

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
A couple more unrelated observations.

My RT eats tires just as fast as my ST did. I'm getting only 7,000 miles or so from a set of tires. My right hand and leaning tendencies may have something to do with tire life, I must admit. The original equipment tires were Metzelers which were rather squared off even with just 3400 miles on them when I acquired the bike. I guess the original owner must have been a "straight road" rider. The next set was Pirelli Angel GTs which were better than the Metzelers (not squared off is always an advantage) but they weren't transformative, just good. A new set of PR4 GTs goes on next. They seem to get the highest marks from the RT crowd, but opinions about tires are like noses...everyone's got theirs.

RT's also seem to eat rear brake pads. Mine were gone at 9,000 miles, although I wonder if the original owner may have been a rear brake guy too...might be a tendency that complements the squared off tires? We'll see how long the replacements last. I've read that the rear pads are not metallic and that it has something to do with the way the linked brake system is engineered.

I've been happy so far with MaxBMW, which has treated me better than any motor vehicle dealer I've ever dealt with in all my 52 years. They pick up and deliver bikes at the house for service, toss me the key to whatever I want to test ride when I drop by the dealership, answer my never ending stream of questions, and are generally nice people to be around. They haven't gotten BMW to address the audio noise issue, but I can't blame Max for BMW's inattention to it.

I've had the opportunity to test a bunch of aftermarket accessories for the RT. There are links here (1st, 2nd and 4th links) if anyone's interested. A couple more stories are yet to be published. Nice to have some great choices for parts that bolt on or plug and play.

So after a year, I say this RT is the best (for me) bike I've ever ridden. I like it.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Sounds like an overall great ride Scott. I like the blue ones myself...a guy at work just showed up with a new blue RT a couple weeks ago. Purdy.

OP
OP
Bones

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Sounds like an overall great ride Scott. I like the blue ones myself...a guy at work just showed up with a new blue RT a couple weeks ago. Purdy.
Mine is "blue" John...Quartz Blue, which is more like silver with a bluish hue. I like silver so that's fine by me. I'd really like red (the red from the 2012 K1600GT would be awesome) but BMW doesn't see fit to provide that.

The 2015 and 2016 San Marino Blue is unmistakably blue. I like it, but I don't get why the nose is painted matte gray. Whose idea was that? Looks wrong to my eyes. And there's clear coat over the stripes, which otherwise I'd pull off the moment I got my new bike home. They look out of place to my eyes, too. To each his own.

What I really don't get is why BMW delivers RT top cases in Aluminum White, which doesn't match anything. I had my top case cover sprayed Quartz Blue to match and it looks great. I've seen pix of a San Marino Blue RT that had the nose and the top case lid painted to match and it also looked great. When you consider the $$ that BMW wants for a top case, especially the one with the integrated locking system and LED brake light, it should match.

OK, enough griping, I'm still happy with my RT.

Attachments

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Overall good for you. I have a friend with a '14 or 2015 GS and he's not happy with his Nav 5 either. It randomly starts up or not. If not, it doesn't work until the next time it works which might not be until the next day. BMW has tried replacing various components to no avail.

OP
OP
Bones

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
The service from Max BMW is exemplary. That type of service is enough to keep you with BMW.
I must admit, that could I afford one, the RT would be my next bike.
You might look for one slightly used. The first-year depreciation on BMW's borders on ridiculous...let someone else take the hit.

Appalachian

No, the OTHER left!
Bike
Ever evolving
The next set was Pirelli Angel GTs which were better than the Metzelers (not squared off is always an advantage) but they weren't transformative, just good. A new set of PR4 GTs goes on next. They seem to get the highest marks from the RT crowd
It depends on what corner of the room you are talking to, mate. If you ride hard, and regularly use the deep portions of the shoulder of the tyre, you will want to ease into the PR4's carefully. They have noticeably less grip on the shoulders than the PR3, or Angel GT. I think I still have a lightly used set (1500 miles) somewhere that you are welcome to if I can find them, they gave me reason on multiple occasions to lose faith, and I never made it to the last 7-10mm of the shoulders. FWIW, and all that.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Angel GTs don't have a good rep on the Trophy forum. They are the Trophy's OEM tire and perform pretty well, but lots of riders have been caught out on the road with cord popping through. The seem to go from looks OK to no good really fast.

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
On the FJR I recently installed a PR4 rear and and my usual Metzeler Z6 front (will try a PR4 front next time). Was on twisty's in WV in dry and wet, put on about 1500 miles, was quite impressed with the PR4. No signs of wear, stuck well in wet, felt firm and planted...... might be my new tire of choice. Cannot recommend Metzeler Z8's, they were just OK.

Appalachian

No, the OTHER left!
Bike
Ever evolving
Angel GTs don't have a good rep on the Trophy forum. They are the Trophy's OEM tire and perform pretty well, but lots of riders have been caught out on the road with cord popping through. The seem to go from looks OK to no good really fast.
Maybe a weight variable, have had no trouble like this on several bikes that curb 5-600 lb, including '15 RT.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
Maybe a weight variable, have had no trouble like this on several bikes that curb 5-600 lb, including '15 RT.
Maybe, the Trophy is ~650lbs. I got good mileage, 9,500, out of it, but its the first tire I've ever ridden until the cord showed. Looking at the tire I had no idea I was close.

Appalachian

No, the OTHER left!
Bike
Ever evolving
Interesting... have been well into wear bars and never seen cord. Maybe I wear my tyres more evenly than some ;)

BluesRider

Rick
Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
Overall good for you. I have a friend with a '14 or 2015 GS and he's not happy with his Nav 5 either. It randomly starts up or not. If not, it doesn't work until the next time it works which might not be until the next day. BMW has tried replacing various components to no avail.
My Nav V works 100% better than my Zumo 665 which is almost useless anymore. I'm even using the Nav V on my Zumo mount on the ST now. The problem with the Nav V, on the K1600 anyway, is its too far to reach while riding and the wonder wheel has limited functionality. But that's not an issue with the GPS itself.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
My Nav V works 100% better than my Zumo 665 which is almost useless anymore. I'm even using the Nav V on my Zumo mount on the ST now. The problem with the Nav V, on the K1600 anyway, is its too far to reach while riding and the wonder wheel has limited functionality. But that's not an issue with the GPS itself.
His just doesn't start up. It's a ghost in the machine type of thing.

Appalachian

No, the OTHER left!
Bike
Ever evolving
There is electronic noise that comes through my 2014 RT's audio system. Imagine what a digital sewing machine might sound like with a continuous, rapid, repeating pulse. It's audible when the bike?s audio system is played while the BMW Navigator 5 GPS is installed on the bike's GPS cradle.

The sound is audible when the bike?s audio system is on and set to FM, SAT, AUX or USB. It?s easiest to hear in AUX since I have nothing attached to that audio input on my bike, but it?s also audible on USB which I do use, and on radio when there is a break, such as occurs briefly between segments. It is harder to hear when a musical composition is loud but unmistakable during quiet passages and between tracks.
Bones, update the NAV V to GARMIN Express 3.2 or higher, lad. Tick tick no more.

OP
OP
Bones

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Bones, update the NAV V to GARMIN Express 3.2 or higher, lad. Tick tick no more.
I'm at software version 3.2 Tick, tick, tick...

EDIT: Tick seems to be gone. Woo-hoo! Apparently the GPS needs to be rebooted after the upgrade. Since mine sits in the cradle on the bike with the bike plugged into a battery tender it stays in sleep mode. Did the full off/restart and voila!

Last edited:
Top Bottom