OP
Bones

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
The bike is at the dealer right now.
One additional note about my RT. Two enthusiastic thumbs up for Max BMW in South Windsor CT. Thus far I've had the best dealer experience with the folks at Max that I've had with any motor vehicle dealer, ever. Not just tossing around superlatives, it's been the best.

I find that how things are handled when something goes wrong can be a good way to gauge an organization. Right after I picked up my RT there was a recall on the switch cluster. I was going back to the dealer in a few days to get the top case I had ordered and they arranged to have the new switch cluster there so I could take care of the top case and switches together. I arrived at the scheduled time and it was going to take a while to swap out the switch cluster and install the top case. Rather than have me sit around waiting, the business manager, Rob Nye, tossed me the keys to a brand new (as in "never left the building since being assembled earlier that day" brand new) R nineT. He said go take it for a ride and let him know what I think. See you in an hour.

So what went wrong? Nothing to this point, obviously! But that weekend when I was out for a ride I went to turn on the cruise control and there was no cruise control switch. It just wasn't there. What the... Oh well, when I got home I sent an email to Ryan the service manager to say that my cruise control switch was MIA, please advise. A few minutes after Max opened the next business day I received a call from Ryan. He still had my old switch in the box to return to BMW for the warranty claim. The box had the correct part number but the part that came in that box was for an RT without factory cruise. Ryan said they should have caught it and that he was offering an explanation not an excuse. He said they'd reorder the switch, make sure it's the right one, pick up my bike at the house, fix it right, and deliver it back to the house, which they did.

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
Liquid cooled, transmission, wind protection... Blah. Who cares.

How many pumpkin pies in an RT saddlebag? More or less than an ST?

If BMW is so great, have they figured out a way to design pie transport to prevent stacked pies from crushing each other? Hmmm? Or, is the BMW only prepared to haul strudel?

OP
OP
Bones

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I don't know, but BMW's logo IS a pie, cut into big slices you can share with your friends.

Bones I am with you. Our local BMW dealer just rocks. This is one big reason why went with BMW along with the great line up bikes they are putting out now days. They put the local Honda dealers to shame. Each time (I mean each time) I go to the dealer the owner, salesmen, parts & service say hi Tom how are you doing. Never once got that from the local Honda dealers.

mlheck

Site Supporter
Bike
'18 BMW K1600GTL
STOC #
[QUOTE/]If BMW is so great, have they figured out a way to design pie transport to prevent stacked pies from crushing each other? Hmmm? Or, is the BMW only prepared to haul strudel?[/QUOTE]

And some brats and a couple steins of dark beer.

Last edited:

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Bones I am with you. Our local BMW dealer just rocks. This is one big reason why went with BMW along with the great line up bikes they are putting out now days. They put the local Honda dealers to shame. Each time (I mean each time) I go to the dealer the owner, salesmen, parts & service say hi Tom how are you doing. Never once got that from the local Honda dealers.
I have the same experience. Last weekend I was called Tom at the BMW dealership. And the salesman said his name was Tom. Must be a German thing.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Chuck, you looked because you expected me to post something about getting an RT, didn't you? :D

PS. I'd rather be called Tom by a German than Sheila by an Australian. :D

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Chuck, you looked because you expected me to post something about getting an RT, didn't you? :D

PS. I'd rather be called Tom by a German than Sheila by an Australian. :D
You are going to be assimilated in the not to distant future. Good luck with what ever you choose. I bet by your late spring RTE in Dillon, you will be on a new bike of some sort.

Bike
2015 BMW GSA
Bones
I took one out for a test drive. All you mention seems accurate from my quick 15 minute run. One concern/question: I had the regular seat in the high position, but the knee angle seemed a little more cramped than even the ST.
How do you compare the knee angle on the RT versus ST?

OP
OP
Bones

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I have the standard seat in low position and sit more upright than the ST. No issue with knee angle for me. I'm 5'7" with 30" inseam, so take that into consideration.

There is a no-cost high seat option when you buy the bike new. See if the dealer has one you can try. I tried the low seat in both positions and found my knees too bent due to lower body position with no change in footpeg location, and my bony backside was unpampered due to lack of seat padding.

Appalachian

No, the OTHER left!
Bike
Ever evolving
There is a no-cost high seat option when you buy the bike new.
Only for sure if you are ordering a bike pre-production, there is no cost to swap out for low or high. If you are buying a bike that has already been produced, there is no guaranty, it's up to the dealer - many of which will do it if they have something on another bike to swap. If they have to buy a seat, it will depend on your relationship.

Appalachian

No, the OTHER left!
Bike
Ever evolving
The short seat inventory on the buy backs was prolific, but good luck finding a high one.

carpdm

Site Supporter
STOC #
Well, after selling my 2005 ST1300PA earlier this year, I realized I've made a mistake. Now, what to do? When I first read your review I still had my ST. Now that she's gone and with the encouragement of your review, I've decided to check out the RT. I hope you're as happy today with your purchase as you were the day you got it.
P.S. Always enjoy your articles. I was a Rider subscriber over 15 years then cancelled. Your article on MLR after Terry passed got me to subscribe again.
Tom

TPadden

Tom Padden
....... I hope you're as happy today with your purchase as you were the day you got it.
Tom
I'm not. I can honestly say after 8000 miles on my 15 RT I'm much happier.

If I were to buy a new bike tomorrow it would be the same one.

Top Bottom