Thoughts on my 2014 BMW R1200RT

I came away from my test ride affirmed that the added sizr and power of the K16GT are better suited for my needs right now.
A pro test rider compared the new R12RT to the K16GT using a standard quarter mile for measure. 6 passes with each, tossed best and worst and averaged the other 4 runs = 3 mph and 0.3 seconds difference. If you believe you could tell the difference, it's only because you wanted to!

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Great review; makes one think. You are right the top case balances out the front heavy look. Is there any factory option for turn signals or break lights in the top case?

OP
OP
Bones

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Great review; makes one think. You are right the top case balances out the front heavy look. Is there any factory option for turn signals or break lights in the top case?
A brake light can be had as an option with the full-feature top case. Pricey but all integrated and very bright. It's not wired as a running light, just a brake light. No factory turn signals for the top case AFAIK, but I've traveled thousands of miles behind a K1600GT and it probably has the most visible factory turn signals I've seen on a motorcycle. Can't recall any better.

Bike
2014 R1200RT W
STOC #
I got the BMW out for a while today. I was so tired of being cooped up with all the bad weather we have had. I will have a bit of a learning curve to overcome. The RT handles so different than the ST. I LOVE THE ST, but it is like taking a fat hog into a curve,compared to th RT. The RT IS SO LIGHT AND FAST AND BRAKES SO MUCH BETTER..

Last edited:
Bike
2014 R1200RT W
STOC #
Jeez, I hope you don't break it on purpose just because it breaks.......so much better............:D.........ff
Thanks for pointing out my use of breaks, instead of brakes. My typing is faster than my brain can keep up with ...

Bike
2006 ST
I have both the ST & RT and though I've never been one for scraping the pegs in the curves, I've not noticed much of difference regarding which bike handles better in the twisties. My perception is the ST is rock solid smooth in all riding modes and it?s only an issue for me when it's time to put it on the center stand.

As for the RT, it's not as smooth, will run much faster than the posted speed limit, cruise control is rock solid, radio system is miles ahead of the non-existent ST's radio, the weight difference doesn't matter for me except when I need to put the RT on the center stand (much easier than the ST), BMW dealer maintenance is exceptional, and the wind protection is better on the ST.

TPadden

Tom Padden
As compared to my 2012RT..
Doesn't really explain your observations on handling or wind protection .... My experience is: RT handling even going back 2 generations is night and day lighter and more capable of speed in curves (sharp or sweeping) than ST and wind protection is at least par. With 2 generations of improvements it's a slam dunk. :)

Bike
2006 ST
I have noticed no difference in the handling from bike to bike as I do not ride aggressively. As for the wind protection, my preference is the ST over my 12RT. The only slam dunk for me is the RT cruise control and radio. Other than those two options for me its hands down ST over RT. Just my 2 cents....

EASt

Streuselkuchen
Bike
S1000XR
I just read this entire thing... and I can't afford an RT.

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
I went back & read the letters of request to mother Honda to make the ST a better, more fun to ride bike. These were written by the ST owners forum members.
1 company has responded. BMW. Yes 1 company. with all U ask U can get all those wishes on the 2015 R1200RT.
Cost= U get what U pay for.
There is only 1 thing 1 would like changed on the RT. Those mirrors. I never did care for the ST mirrors mounted in the fairings. When I load the bike up some rear is blocked by my dry bags. The FJR & K1600 got it right. Mirrors mounted on stems high ON the fairings.
The handling, suspension, wind protection, 6 speed, CC, radio, heat grips & seat, it just goes on & on.
U get what U pay for. Did I mention Blue tooth, GPS all wired in. The largest alternator on a bike 510 watts. carry capacity, ETC.

Bike
2014 R1200RT W
STOC #
I went back & read the letters of request to mother Honda to make the ST a better, more fun to ride bike. These were written by the ST owners forum members.
1 company has responded. BMW. Yes 1 company. with all U ask U can get all those wishes on the 2015 R1200RT.
Cost= U get what U pay for.
There is only 1 thing 1 would like changed on the RT. Those mirrors. I never did care for the ST mirrors mounted in the fairings. When I load the bike up some rear is blocked by my dry bags. The FJR & K1600 got it right. Mirrors mounted on stems high ON the fairings.
The handling, suspension, wind protection, 6 speed, CC, radio, heat grips & seat, it just goes on & on.
U get what U pay for. Did I mention Blue tooth, GPS all wired in. The largest alternator on a bike 510 watts. carry capacity, ETC.
Dang, you make the BMW RT sound so good, I might go buy another one ! Seriously Thus far I love Mine ! I took it yesterday for the run in service, 800 miles over due. I called the local Dealer, Bloodworth to make an appointment, they said fine bring it in. I replied see you around 2pm. Thinking I would have to leave it overnight I arranged for a ride home, and Debbie told me she would pick me up at 4:30. I didn't want to hang at the dealer that long so I went on a ride and showed up a Bloodworth at 3:15. They took it straight in and I was out at 4:45, and treated me like royalty.... I have heard so many bad things about this dealer over the years, but the have done a 180.

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Bob must have a Blue tongue.... been drinking that darn kool-aid again. I have a feeling it stuck this time.

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
Metalman, rode 2 fjr demo bikes. Both had mirrors mounted up on the fairing. before test ride I did adjust. I had no trouble seeing.
They were stock machines=no risers or add on.
Maybe a after market for U. Might make/help?

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
If U look on the site Tags that is NJ state U will see I changed my ST1300 to bar mount mirrors. BikeMaster clamps=5.00 each.
2 true view mirrors for hole 29.00 dollars. The reason, added the BarkBustters weather guards. They really blocked the rear view stock mirrors. All is good.

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
Bob must have a Blue tongue.... been drinking that darn kool-aid again. I have a feeling it stuck this time.
Why YES it did. The bike is at the dealer right now. SNOW for this weekend. Starting Friday. I can wait. I have to.

Top Bottom