Tinnitus question

river

Comin' in hot
Bike
Blackie
Has anybody had the experience that after riding they have significant ringing, but after a while (?), the ringing lessens?

Reg_Siemens

Reg S
Bike
Yamaha Tracer 900GT
STOC #
Ringing is typically associated with hearing damage. Medications and other factors can contribute but if you only get ringing after riding then you must be exposing yourself to a damaging amount of noise. Consensus is one should never ride a motorcycle without hearing protection.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I read that if you have ringing in your ears after an event you have done some hearing damage. I don't remember the details on how to figure out if there has been permanent damage...
I do know that after I read the details I have worn ear plugs every time I get on the bike...

Mark

Bike
2005 ST1300
I was diagnosed with Tinnitus since the early 90's (scuba diving)

So do you ride with ear plugs? If not, you will need to try it with good ear plugs (get some good ones) and if it continues after the plugs then see an ear doctor...

Rob Hephner

Mobile Pest Control
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Has anybody had the experience that after riding they have significant ringing, but after a while (?), the ringing lessens?
That is permanent damage occurring and you need to do something to limit any future damage.

Earplugs are a must, but you also NEED to go get your hearing checked by a professional FIRST.

If you have follicle damage in your ear you will make it worse by packing wax further in your ear.

Now, there is another possibility and that is that you are grinding your teeth, which will give you the same ringing sensation.

Best bet is to go get you hearing checked, as they will address jaw clench as well.

OP
OP
river

river

Comin' in hot
Bike
Blackie
Thanks for the comments......I was just interested in whether anybody's noticed the ringing subside.

In answer the above questions, today was a short ride. I had mild occasionally noticeable tinnitus for years probably from playing electric guitar when younger. I've been riding again for 4 or 5 months (after 5 year hiatus), and noticed in the last couple weeks constant, louder tinnitus. I've been trying out different earplugs, not using consistently. Think I've paid for that. I really noticed it after the 1/2 hour ride around town today, though I was wearing foam earplugs inserted they way they are supposed to be (reaching over, pulling on ear, pushing in deeply) and which cut sound enough that I could not hear the entry code keypad beeping at my storage place. I still had louder ringing when done. Now I'm interested in knowing what are really GOOD earplugs.

STOC #
Each time you experience this ringing, you have done some permanent damage. The ringing will lessen or stop if it was minor. There comes a time when the ringing will not go away. After 36 years working construction in the utility industry I have reached that point. Always wear fitted ear plugs. They greatly reduce wind noise and then the constant ringing becomes louder than the wind. See a hearing professional and they can get you fitted with the proper plug. Good luck.

Rossi

R.I.P. - 2014/08/28
Rest In Peace
Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
I have experienced ringing in the ears after a long ride, which will then subside. It has been worse on the ST1100 than on the Goldwing I had previous. And it was noticeable on the V30 Magna.

I do wear earplugs on long rides, but it doesn't reduce the low frequencies enough. I believe a taller windscreen would help though.

STOC #
Taller windscreen is a big help. That is why I went with the Cal Sci large. It helped me a lot along with the fitted ear plugs. Ringing and hearing loss still there.

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
I always wear earplugs while riding but on rare occassions I have had ringing (not necessarily MC related). A few months ago I woke up with ringing in both ears and it did not shut off. I hear it as I'm writing this. Tinnitus has several causes as this Mayo Clinic website shows:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/tinnitus/DS00365/DSECTION=causes

My hearing was damaged due to some pretty loud noise I was exposed to while in my 20's. That didn't help but that's not the only way it can happen. I think in my case it was a combination of actual hearing damage plus age.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #
I started off riding around the age of 19 consistently and have been strictly on a bike since 2001. Never wore ear plugs and didn't know that I should. I began noticing the occasional ringing in my ears after rides but it went away, so I didn't give it much thought. Over the years, my ears would just start ringing for no reason, than stop. It always went away so, again, I never gave it much thought. Fast forward to about 5 months ago, I was learning the soundboard at church. Part way through the worship team playing, the guy teaching me starts scrambling on the soundboard, making lots of adjustments. I was clueless and had no idea what was going on. Apparently, something began feedbacking but I couldn't hear it. Talk about scary. The months leading up to that incident, it had started to occurred to me that I was having trouble hearing certain things. That incident proved it. I picked up some ear plugs and after a few weeks of adjusting to wearing them, I can't ride without them now. As I sit here typing, I can hear a very mild, faint ringing. After reading this thread, I will definitely continue to wear earplugs and will probably go see a doctor just for safety's sake.

ChipSTer

Growing old, but not up!
Bike
2004 ST 1300
STOC #
Hmmm.... I guess I need to quit 'jamming' while riding.... I'm starting to hear ringing.... :eek::
:cool:

I can't hear my tinnitus over the voices in my head! I have had tinnitus for as long as I can remember, just never thought of it until I started to ride, then I found out that motorcycling can cause it and make hearing worse. I now wear ear plugs ALL THE TIME, darn good ones to, a friend said it's like riding with grandpa, he has to shout so I can hear him.

Now I'm interested in knowing what are really GOOD earplugs.
Good article here:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/Earplugs/earplugs.htm

Look at the NRR rating of the ear plugs. Make sure the plugs you use have a rating in the 30's, and make sure the size fits your ear canal. Too loose or too tight and they don't work properly. I tried everything out there and ended up having an audiologist make some silicon-type earplugs that are molded to my ear shape. They work great, always install properly, and I can comfortably wear them forever. Plus they aren't throw-aways, so I don't run out.

One comment on the molded-type ear plugs. They come in a jillion colors. I chose flesh/tan, so they wouldn't be too obvious if I'm at a concert or something. I've dropped them a few times and they really blend in well with dirt on the ground. My next set will be day-glo orange so they don't disappear on me.

Last edited:

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
Couldn't agree more about the benefits of some of the after market shields that are available these days. I've ridden with an AeroFlow for the last 3 years and it's very quiet. I also took a trip to the audiologist at my HMO and got a custom set of ear plugs made. Cost me about $100, but well worth it.

Good luck.

John

OP
OP
river

river

Comin' in hot
Bike
Blackie
Thanks very much everyone. I've actually had a conversation today with a friend about giving up riding.

I'm going to park it til Big Bend, and make an appt with an audiologist. I am going to try a Calsci, it's Terry-approved. I'm also trying to find a quiet helmet.

Again, thank you for the help.

Bike
still deciding
STOC #
I won't ride more then a few miles without earplugs. Just way more comfortable with them. I didn't always do this and have continuous ringing now. I did find the ringing got better with time, but never went away. If the ringing isn't too bad the good news is you can get used to it and tune it out. Most of the time I don't even notice it.

John Anthony

Bike
'03 ST1300A
STOC #
... If the ringing isn't too bad the good news is you can get used to it and tune it out. Most of the time I don't even notice it.
If you are married for a long time or have children, you'll know how this works! Another of our forum members, Gnorts, has the same problem. He never rides without good plugs and now he's able to pull some long days in the saddle without any problems.

Good luck getting a solution sorted out. Hate to see you give up riding.

John

Bike
ST1100 & ST1300
STOC #
I have it as well. Mine was caused mostly by years of work in the Infantry. Between guns, explosives and 4 operations on my ear to repair blast damage I have a lot of hearing loss. I always ride with ear plugs but I use the cheap foam ones. They are better than nothing.

Top Bottom