Tinnitus question

I suffered from tinnitus on both ears or it might just be my left ear but echoes in the right. Tinnitus first occurred in my left ear at age 32. The left is loudest. Riiiiiiiiiiiiing infinitely. I think it was caused by loud music that I used to listen to when I was 22. I used to have two 12 inch JL Audio sub woofers in the back of my trunk. A doctor once told me loud music will damage my hearing. But I didn't paid no heed. I was young and dumb. Now I have to live w tinnitus. The latest online hearing test says that my hearing is still ok, so no need for hearing aids so far.

Last edited:
Bike
2010 ST1300
I noticed that I started experiencing tinnitus after riding. What can it be? Did anyone have this issue?
Did you read this whole thread? I suggest you go back to page 1 and start there. Ringing in the ears after exposure to loud noise is indicative of hearing damage. Whether said damage will be noticeable or not and whether it will heal or not depends on duration, loudness and other factors. You can also damage your hearing and have the hearing loss show up later in life. I've lost hearing in one ear, wear hearing aids and recently suffered from sudden idiopathic hearing loss. Fortunately, my hearing seems to be coming back to what I call my baseline (when I got the hearing aids a year ago). This is not something you want to progress. We all choose our risk tolerance and comfort levels. YMMV.

Bike
91 ST1100/06 ST1300
I began experiencing tinnitus after I left the military. We wore ear protection on the flight lines per requirements. BUT.... not on the range. No problems while in the AF but shortly after it began and progressed from intermittent to full time to increasing volume. Can't attribute it all to periodic exposure to guns during those four years as I have also never used plugs when riding. Got some tinnitus cancelling hearing aids (expensive little s*&^'s) once those became available...not perfect but certainly a radical improvement. There is no significant wind noise, my opinion, when we're on the ST's. If tinnitus has become an issue, check out these hearing aid options.

Bike
'01 & '96 ST1100s
STOC #
Got some tinnitus cancelling hearing aids (expensive little s*&^'s) once those became available...not perfect but certainly a radical improvement.
My HAs have tinnitus masking sounds built in, but I haven't needed to use it.

They're Oticon More 1 miniRITE R units, and they work with my iPhone, too.

I am fortunate enough to be a veteran, and the VA provided them at no cost.

Have had tinnitus for so many years, I can't recall when it happened or why the cause.

I *only* know I have it is when it's quiet at night and I'm thinking about having tinnitus, or viewing a post about it :)

Otherwise, my brain has learned to "tune it out" and I never think about it, just like the arthritis.

Top Bottom