Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
How many will fit in your garage Joe?

How many will fit in your garage Joe?
I have 4 in mine. They fit and Judy still has her car in there. But I sure need to cut the inventory by one. Or buy another house.
I'm sure I can get one more in there if I try real hard.

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
Way to go Joe!!
What year is that?
On the newer Tracers I think I noticed a number of similarities to the later gen Super Tens - dash look and e-features, handle bars, rider ergos, tire sizes, mat paint, suspension(?) ...
Looking forward to your review & how you farkle it up.
Congrats!

Bike
Vstrom 650
Congratulations on the new bike Joe, I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on it after you've had it a while and also how it compares to the vstrom 650 you had if you can remember it!!

Bike
2020 Tracer 900GT
STOC #
How timely is that Joe!

Congratulations

I am very interested to find out your impressions and your review. Specifically seat height, neutral riding position and stock windscreen.

Bike
2001 ST1100
STOC #
Congrats Joe. I've read a bunch of reviews and it sounds like a great bike. Every review raves about the engine.

Add me to list who wants to hear a full report on how you like it, and how it compares to the ST. It's certainly on my radar for a possible replacement for my ST. And definitely consider coming to NEWstoc. It's a great event and awesome group of folks.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Add me to list who wants to hear a full report on how you like it, and how it compares to the ST
Hmm... that's a tough one... It's nothing like the ST.. That's both good and bad.

You get more weather/wind exposure but it's lighter and quicker...

Chain vs Shaft of course which is a deal killer for many but I don't mind it at all.

Lots of wind noise but I think both the ST1300 and even Super Tenere had that before addressing w/different windshields or deflectors. I'm planning on adding the touring shield and if that doesn't fix it I'll add the same spoiler I have on the Super Ten.

Definitely more nimble... you can hit a 30mph curve in 6th gear and just roll on, doesn't seem to lug at all.. or drop to 2nd and it just glides through..

Quickshifter - the GT version gets this along with the new display, saddlebags and upgraded suspension components. I've never had a QS before and it was pretty cool to go up the gears without messing with the clutch, it's only for up-shifting.

Gear Indicator - very nice, it tells you the gear all the time.. on the SuperTen it is only if you don't have the clutch lever pulled in which is a slight annoyance.

Been keeping it under 5k rpm for the break in but have bumped up to 9k briefly and the engine will sing a very sweet song.. lol Can't wait 'til after the 1,000 mile break in when I can really wind it up.

The TFT display is VERY nice and has lots of custom settings. It's pretty easy to read although I do wish they'd made it a bit larger. It's basically a copy of the one used on the R1 and maybe some other bikes but with a couple different features suited to the Tracer. The white background for daytime and black for low-light conditions switches pretty fast and is always readable.

IMG_20181029_061248.jpg

IMG_20181029_061446.jpg
The luggage, coming from the perspective of a Super Ten owner with large top loading bags, is tiny.. so, I'll have to rethink my packing routine but there are always trade offs and that's just something you deal with. Some do opt to find the FJR bags w/larger lids or find the lids and install them on these bags. I'm fine with just packing differently. I always bring more than I need anyway so no big deal. I'm planning on adding a top box.

On the highway, it feels very planted and stable but again, I've barely ridden the thing.. hope to get past the break in mileage this week/weekend and get some some real highway time in on it to see how it reacts to things like large trucks.

One thing is certain, in the twisties this will be a fun bike... NOT because it's some fast hooligan bike, it can be with the right rider I'm sure, but because it's light and nimble and that makes it less effort to ride.

It's got 3 ride modes A-STD-B
A: Aggressive throttle response
STD: Medium throttle response
B: Relaxed throttle response

A can be pretty twitchy..
STD is not bad and probably what I would use in the twisties.
B is pretty good and what I'll keep it in most of the time.

TCS (traction control system)
Off - Oh no!... Not me, I don't want to wheelie as I'm old and my bones don't heal like they used to... that's all I have to say about that.
1 - Some intervention is used to keep the wheel spin to safe levels - I'm still not comfortable with this setting.
2 - Maximum intervention to keep wheel spin to zero or close to that - This is what I'll have it on and it may never come off. yeah, my hooligan days are past me.

Headlights
They are LED and the left one is the low/right is high. The one low beam is actually not bad at night. A good spread of light. There are 2 signature/parking light strips.
Yamaha still has incandescent bulbs in the turn signals for this bike which I don't understand BUT.. with how low they are, you almost get that triangle of lights at night that everyone tries to aim for so maybe it's pretty visible.

IMG_20181029_061320.jpg

IMG_20181029_061335.jpg

Overall, a fun light bike... will it replace the Super Tenere for my purposes? Not sure, once I get some more saddle time on it, it just might... I don't go off road on purpose and that was never why I purchased the SuperT, I just wanted a lighter touring bike that had some more options and a good track record of reliability. It has served that purpose well. If I was taking the long haul to California, I may take the SuperT... a short ride to Arkansas, the Tracer... it's great to have options. Time will tell if I stick with one or two.

Last edited:

Darth rider

Site Supporter
Bike
BMW K1600 GT
Joe,
So the "parking light strips" is what you are referring to as the turn signals? It looks like they stay illuminated until the turn signal is activated? If so, that's a pretty good idea as far as visibility to others ahead of the bike. Good looking machine....

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Joe,
So the "parking light strips" is what you are referring to as the turn signals? It looks like they stay illuminated until the turn signal is activated? If so, that's a pretty good idea as far as visibility to others ahead of the bike. Good looking machine....
Those headlight strips are the parking lights and stay on with the ignition. Here's a pic with the bike running and a turn signal. The left headlight is the low beam.

Attachments

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
How many RPM are you spinning at 65 MPH? A lot of the chain drive bikes I've owned seem a bit undergeared, the manufacturer hoping to get good 1/4 mile and roll on times from the magazine tests I think. I usually add a larger countershaft sprocket to relax things a bit and help the fuel mileage. Wonder if that'll screw up the speedometer? Too soon for you to tell, but I know the other bikes with this engine have responded well to re-flashing the ECU. What have you read about that? I've got to say this bike has piqued my interest more than most the latest new bikes...

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
How many RPM are you spinning at 65 MPH? A lot of the chain drive bikes I've owned seem a bit undergeared, the manufacturer hoping to get good 1/4 mile and roll on times from the magazine tests I think. I usually add a larger countershaft sprocket to relax things a bit and help the fuel mileage. Wonder if that'll screw up the speedometer? Too soon for you to tell, but I know the other bikes with this engine have responded well to re-flashing the ECU. What have you read about that? I've got to say this bike has piqued my interest more than most the latest new bikes...
I have no idea Jeff. I'm just getting used to it and haven't yet paid any attention to RPMs at 65mph but I'll try to see what that is the next time I get on it. I've never flashed a bike (don't laugh, that's not what I meant) but so far I like it the way it is setup. Not sure how much gas they put in it at the dealership so I don't know the range yet. I'm assuming it will be in the 180-190 before it indicates it's time to get fuel.. which isn't too far off of the Tenere. I plan on heading up to OK this weekend and back for a good 400-500 mile one day ride to see how it holds up as far as ergos, seat, mileage etc... so will have more to report then... If you test ride one.. be careful, it's an easy bike to ride and like right off the bat.. at least for me it was.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
I can’t wait for you to turn over 1,000 miles and turn that triple loose. I turned over my 1,000 mile breakin three years ago on my way to ArkanSTOC on my Tiger. I haven’t stopped smiling since every time I ride it.
Take that bike to Arkansas and turn that triple loose!

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Sounds a bit high to me - at least for what I'm used to. Is the engine smooth? Does it vibrate? Compare it to the ST's, please.
Nah, it's pretty good.. especially the over 11k rpm redline.. wooohooo...

I has some vibes but they're pretty minor.. did a 500 mile day Saturday and it didn't bother me at all but I haven't been on an ST in a few years, I've been on the Super Tenere now for a while and some say it has bad vibes but I like it as well. Oddly enough the only time I've ever had any tingling in my hands was from the ST1300 before I did different risers.

The engine is smooth to me, really like the quick shifter. It's NOT an ST11 or ST13.. simple as that. It feels like a toy in comparison to the Super Ten so I'm sure it would as well to most heavier bikes.

I didn't notice any bad manners passing large trucks in either direction but I don't have a top box on it yet but I cranked the rear preload a bit. The GT also has better suspension components than the STD model.

Has an interesting display option, Fuel Con(sumed).. so you can set it at the beg of a trip... I guess that's cool.. I don't really care about it but I guess they had a list of items they could present and that popped into a programmers' mind.. lol

The menu wheel is on the right-side controls and just a bit awkward to get to while your hand is on the throttle. Also, the options include those for the heated grips and I wish that was a separate control altogether like on the Super Ten.

The seat... after a 500 mile day.. seems ok.. it's been a while since I could stand more that 150 miles on a stock seat, the Wings were the only bikes I didn't feel like I needed an aftermarket seat. I need to do a good 800 mile day to be certain..

Not sure about the range yet.. has a typical crazy Yamaha fuel guage where the first 1/2 tank is one indicator and takes about 110 miles to get to that and the next lower half of indicators is about 50-70 miles. I had the gas icon come on at 165 miles on Saturday however, we had some crazy winds that day and I was headed straight into it at 70-80 mph so I think the true range is closer to the 190 mark. I can live with that.. the Super Ten is around 200 when the light goes on and I usually squeak out another 20.. I think an even 200 on this under normal non-windy conditions is going to be average... The bike has a 4.8 gal tank but I'm showing about 45mpg most of the time. I think it was showing 40 mpg into that strong headwind. Still under 1000 miles on the bike so more testing is needed... :06biker:

Last edited:
Top Bottom