Tracer 900 GT

Bike
F900 XR
2024 Miles
If it is like my F800GT, you'll find your mileage varies a lot depending on the riding conditions. A larger engine like either of the STs will stay pretty constant, I believe. But with a smaller engine, if you're heading into strong headwinds at high speeds, you'll develop fuel tank range anxiety.

Chris

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
If it is like my F800GT, you'll find your mileage varies a lot depending on the riding conditions. A larger engine like either of the STs will stay pretty constant, I believe. But with a smaller engine, if you're heading into strong headwinds at high speeds, you'll develop fuel tank range anxiety.

Chris
I agree with you about the mileage. My Tiger 800 can get around 60 mpg if my right wrist behaves itself at 55 to 60 mph. 75 to 80 I get about 45 mpg. Very close to my ST mileage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
Congrats on the new bike, Joe!
I've been heavily considering this, but can't get anyone off the list price, and they want to steal my Wing as a trade at the same time. If I can make a decent deal worthwhile to me, this will probably soon be in my garage. I'll keep the ST, at least until I can determine if this will be a decent tourer. If it is, I might get down to one bike and the scooter. (PCX-150).

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Congrats on the new bike, Joe!
I've been heavily considering this, but can't get anyone off the list price, and they want to steal my Wing as a trade at the same time. If I can make a decent deal worthwhile to me, this will probably soon be in my garage. I'll keep the ST, at least until I can determine if this will be a decent tourer. If it is, I might get down to one bike and the scooter. (PCX-150).
Try D&H Cycles in Cullman, AL.. he's usually pretty good as far as pricing.

It's not an ST replacement so if you go into it with that mindset you'll be disappointed. Since it's light, it is more responsive to all input.. can be a good or bad thing. In the twisties, it's really easy to ride.. but, on the highway, you'll be taxed a little as it's not as smooth as I remember the ST or even the SuperTen for that matter, the suspension feels harsher than I remember the ST being. It's a trade off.

I'm still working on the wind management and seat comfort but once I get that figured out, it will be good.

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
It's not an ST replacement so if you go into it with that mindset you'll be disappointed.
I'm not really looking for a replacement as much as I'm looking for a lighter bike that has much of the capabilities.
After having the Wing, Concours and ST1300 for so many years, I'm ready for a lighter, more nimble bike. If I find that, after changing the weather management a bit, the Tracer can handle the touring duties, I'll sell the ST. In the mean time, I'll keep the ST for my longer trips.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I'm not really looking for a replacement as much as I'm looking for a lighter bike that has much of the capabilities.
After having the Wing, Concours and ST1300 for so many years, I'm ready for a lighter, more nimble bike. If I find that, after changing the weather management a bit, the Tracer can handle the touring duties, I'll sell the ST. In the mean time, I'll keep the ST for my longer trips.
Understand completely, sure is nice moving a light bike around the garage, and twisties.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Still under 1000 miles on the bike so more testing is needed... :06biker:
You have mentioned a couple of times that you are breaking the bike in by keeping the rev's under (I think) 6K. Was this your decision or does Yamaha suggest a break-in period for the bike? I'm asking because so many new cars come with NO instructions for break-in other than an early first oil change. I half expected bikes to also have no manufacturer suggested break-in. (Regardless of what the mfr's suggest, I too, being of a certain age, would break in any new vehicle I bought).

wjbertrand

Ventura Highway
Sounds a bit high to me - at least for what I'm used to. Is the engine smooth? Does it vibrate? Compare it to the ST's, please.
One thing that's nice with the chain drive is that you can probably change the gearing to relax the cruising RPM a bit. That motor should have enough power/torque not to be too hampered pulling a bit taller gear.

OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
You have mentioned a couple of times that you are breaking the bike in by keeping the rev's under (I think) 6K. Was this your decision or does Yamaha suggest a break-in period for the bike? I'm asking because so many new cars come with NO instructions for break-in other than an early first oil change. I half expected bikes to also have no manufacturer suggested break-in. (Regardless of what the mfr's suggest, I too, being of a certain age, would break in any new vehicle I bought).
It's in the owners manual.

Engine break-in
There is never a more important period
in the life of your engine than the period
between 0 and 1600 km (1000 mi). For
this reason, you should read the fol-
lowing material carefully.
Since the engine is brand new, do not
put an excessive load on it for the first
1600 km (1000 mi). The various parts in
the engine wear and polish themselves
to the correct operating clearances.
During this period, prolonged full-throt-
tle operation or any condition that
might result in engine overheating
must be avoided.

0–1000 km (0–600 mi)
Avoid prolonged operation above 5600
r/min. NOTICE: After 1000 km (600
mi) of operation, the engine oil must
be changed and the oil filter car-
tridge or element replaced.

1000–1600 km (600–1000 mi)
Avoid prolonged operation above 6800
r/min.

1600 km (1000 mi) and beyond
The vehicle can now be operated nor-
mally

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
One thing that drives me nuts when traveling with my son on his FJ-09, is the one headlight on thing. I keep wanting to tell him one of his headlights is out.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
the one that does light up is very bright btw (click on pic to enlarge)

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
The headlights are very good, prob best OEM lights I've ever experienced. Good spread on low with no cut off.

Bike
ST1300A, TracerGT
Well, I went and bought one last this week. I only have about 300 miles on it so far and don't have the bags yet. I got them to throw in the luggage/trunk rack. I couldn't get them to throw in the trunk. :) For the price, I'll probably get the Yamaha trunk which snaps into the rack. The bags were shipped to the dealer separate from the bike and they have not yet been received.

My observations so far: The windshield sucks. I'll put on a larger shield. Either Madstad or Puig. I'll cut down the stock for a summer shield and cleaner air.
The seat is one of the better stock seats out there, but not all day comfortable. I'd like to get a Russell, but I don't want to give up my seat pan for that long. For now, I have a sheepskin on it and that helps.

Other than those issues, (which are common on most bikes), I friggen LOVE this bike! I can't wait to get out of the break-in period.
I've reorganized the display so that different info comes up on the different screens than how it was originally organized. I'm going for a ride in the morning and will probably get it up to the 600 mile mark.
No plans to sell the ST at this time, (Don't tell my wife), but once I get a windshield and seat comfort, there may not be a reason for both. Time will tell. I like both bikes.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mellow

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Well, I went and bought one last this week. I only have about 300 miles on it so far and don't have the bags yet. I paid $11,500 and got them to throw in the luggage/trunk rack. I couldn't get them to throw in the trunk. :) For the price, I'll probably get the Yamaha trunk which snaps into the rack. The bags were shipped to the dealer separate from the bike and they have not yet been received.

My observations so far: The windshield sucks. I'll put on a larger shield. Either Madstad or Puig. I'll cut down the stock for a summer shield and cleaner air.
The seat is one of the better stock seats out there, but not all day comfortable. I'd like to get a Russell, but I don't want to give up my seat pan for that long. For now, I have a sheepskin on it and that helps.

Other than those issues, (which are common on most bikes), I friggen LOVE this bike! I can't wait to get out of the break-in period.
I've reorganized the display so that different info comes up on the different screens than how it was originally organized. I'm going for a ride in the morning and will probably get it up to the 600 mile mark.
No plans to sell the ST at this time, (Don't tell my wife), but once I get a windshield and seat comfort, there may not be a reason for both. Time will tell. I like both bikes.
Nice.. terryscustomseats has gotten a lot of good reviews and not too far from you.

I have the touring shield and the MRA X-creen and appears to be a good combo. The seat is much better than I expected.

Congrats on the new bike, still liking mine a lot.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
So will there be 2 ea. Yamie 900s at the last ride of the year event? Don't even ask to trade rides with my classic beast, ain't gonna happen......

Top Bottom