Tragic loss of ST rider-Bill Galarneau

Re: Tragic loss of ST rider

I hate reading stories like this.

My sincere condolences to the family and friends. Bill appears to be the quintessential motorcyclist; giving, respectful and good natured.

Rest in peace my Brother.

FlexyRacer

Be Seeing You
Bike
2007 ST1300

I have been at a loss of words since Saturday night. I have worked closely with Bill for close to 20 years, man did I love working with him.

One year ago I got back into riding. Bill turned me onto this site and raved about the wonderful people he had met. I followed Bill's advice and purchased a 2005 ST1300 from a guy on this site. I loved to ride and talk stories with Bill.

April 23rd, 2009 I was involved in a motorcycle accident that totaled my bike. Thanks to Bill continually harping on safety and wearing all the gear possible, I walked away with only a broken collarbone. Bill was the first to call and the first person I met back at work. He gave me a big hug that let me know everything will be alright.

May 9th, 2009 I waved as Bill rode away for the last time.

I loved Bill and will always miss him.

I met Bill at Gruuvystoc. During the rush of everyone trying to get things done on their bikes (he was getting a new rear tire, valve check, and a few other things done I believe), he seemed the most genuinely interested in carrying on a meanigful conversation with me. I viewed Bill as a promising indicator of the quality of people that can be found on this forum. We pm'ed a bit regarding his driving light brackets that I liked and he had questions about my weight loss. I believe he was a man of faith in God which comforts me and hopefully brings some peace to his family and friends. God Bless Bill and his family.

FontsArialArial BlackArial NarrowBook AntiquaCentury GothicComic Sans MSCourier NewFixedsysFranklin Gothic MediumGaramondGeorgiaImpactLucida ConsoleLucida Sans UnicodeMicrosoft Sans SerifPalatino LinotypeSystemTahomaTimes New RomanTrebuchet MSVerdana
Sizes1234567

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
93 Concours

A group of bills co-workers are riding to the services on friday. we are leaving Los Angeles Center, 2555 E ave P, Palmddale at 11:00 am from ouside the gate near the sr71. please join us.:03biker::::06biker::07biker::04biker::biker::

661-916-5678
1way,

I'll be there. Hopefully the Connie will make it all the way to Victorville. Bill was always picking up parts from her that had fallen off on my way to work and bringing them in for me to re-install during the work day. His "special" way of trying to convince me to buy an ST :D

And for you Clint (steamroller) here's one of my many Bill stories:

Bill had just fininshed one of his riding classes and wanted to show me what he had learned. So we went out to the North parking lot and having "borrowed" some of the FAA traffic cones we set up our own figure circles. Bill wanted to show me how he could do his circles with the look-left-push-left-turn-left. So we both took our bikes out (realize of course his goal is always to get me to trade up to an ST) and he goes through the circle with no problems. I go get on my bike and without realizing it, Bill has kicked the cones in on one side about two feet. Needless to say I couldn't manuever the circle, I kept falling out. Bill tells me to try it on his bike, and again he moves the cones back out this time. I get going and it is the easiest lock to lock circle I ever did.
All the way back in to the building he showing me ST's for sale on his ipod and I was actually biting!
He waited until we got inside to tell me what he had done...I don't think he ever stopped laughing at me that day.
Just another reason to love the guy!

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #

And for you Clint (steamroller) here's one of my many Bill stories:

Bill had just fininshed one of his riding classes and wanted to show me what he had learned. So we went out to the North parking lot and having "borrowed" some of the FAA traffic cones we set up our own figure circles. Bill wanted to show me how he could do his circles with the look-left-push-left-turn-left. So we both took our bikes out (realize of course his goal is always to get me to trade up to an ST) and he goes through the circle with no problems. I go get on my bike and without realizing it, Bill has kicked the cones in on one side about two feet. Needless to say I couldn't manuever the circle, I kept falling out. Bill tells me to try it on his bike, and again he moves the cones back out this time. I get going and it is the easiest lock to lock circle I ever did.
All the way back in to the building he showing me ST's for sale on his ipod and I was actually biting!
He waited until we got inside to tell me what he had done...I don't think he ever stopped laughing at me that day.
Just another reason to love the guy!
:crackup

Kent Saxton's third year Memorial Ride is May 23rd. I have made up a page with pictures of the cub members who have passed over the years. I found the following, which I have put on the page to be handed to riders. I share it with Bill's family, and friends...with condolences, and love. Posted stories remind us all that the body may be gone, but the spirit and impact lives on....pegs down, ride safe everyone!

In every heart you touched,
In every life you've changed,
In every thought you've inspired,
Your love lives on.

Your voice still echoes,
Your life still inspires,
Your light still shines....and always will.

Ride free Bill....and enjoy the company of those who ride with you...there, and here.

Womantriker (Carole)

Bike
2007 ST 1300
STOC #

This outporing of tributes shows a man beloved by son and wife and family and friends and coworkers and all of us who wish we knew him. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Bike
'93 ST1100
STOC #

Such a tragic, senseless loss. It just makes me want to scream out in anger.

Billy, I never knew your dad, but he sounds like the quintessensal motorcyclist. Your support of your dad's riding is wonderful to see. I have 3 boys who are very supportive of my riding especially my youngest son, Jon who is 26, is particurlaly supportive. Often when on a trip, I will find a card hidden in my tankbag wishing me well with money enclosed to "support the cause" as he puts it. Now that's a good boy. I'm sure your support was PRICELESS to your dad as well.

You and your family are in my prayers, Godspeed to all of you.

Gary

Bike
2006 ST1300
STOC #

I did not know Bill, but after reading 14 pages of posts I wish I did.

I am very sorry for your loss.

dmulk

Dan Mulkiewicz
STOC #

I'm sorry I could not make the services today. Please give Mary an extra hug...

<D>

I did not know Bill, but my deepest condolences to his family and friends.

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #

There was an excellent turn-out for Bill's Memorial Service. During the video there were pictures that have appeared here.

Many people mentioned how much Bill loved to ride and how highly he spoke of this forum. Klackey, SoloTotoCoyote and myself were greeted by many there and each of them talked of how Bill talked to them about the happenings here about the forum.

Know that Bill thought of you in very high regard and valued his time on this forum.

Mary also mentioned how much these thoughts and kind words have meant to her and the family.

There is a place where the tires don't wear out, the tank never empties and around every curve ..... is another curve.

Bill will tell us all about it when we meet up with him again.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #

Gruuvy pretty much covered it. I met up with the riders that rode from Bill's work to the funeral. It was an interesting sight to see as there were all types of motorcycles and riders present to pay their respects to Bill. I had the opportunity to speak to a few of them and it was interesting to see Bill through other's eyes. But no matter the story or who told it, it was the same Bill every time.

Riding towards the front it was cool to look into the mirror and see the line of headlights following. We may like to rib each other for brand choice but, when it mattered, we were one body. As we rode, it occurred to me that we were riding the very road that Bill took everyday to work and back. Admittedly, I got a little knot in my stomach. Adding to the moment, I watched as a few cars pulled out directly in front of our group. Fortunately, no harm befell our little group.
As Gruuvy said, we were told that Bill spoke often of his riding friends and this site. It was nice to return the notion that we cared, especially when our little party pulled into the parking lot in a single file line and parked. For those who were unable to attend, your condolences and well wishes were represented and communicated powerfully when we all rode in. We were met by Bill's wife who was all smiles.
A very touching service was held and we had a good laugh when the BBQ pictures came across the screen of Bill engulfed in smoke. After the service and fellowshipping with the friends and family back at the house, Gruuvy and myself decided to ride up the mountain and have a slice of pie and a Dr Pepper in Bill's honor. It was sad to see a fellow friend and rider gone, but we all commented that when we get to heaven, Bill had better have all the good roads and pie places memorized. :D

Attachments

OP
OP
Bike
93 Concours

There was an excellent turn-out for Bill's Memorial Service. During the video there were pictures that have appeared here.

Many people mentioned how much Bill loved to ride and how highly he spoke of this forum. Klackey, SoloTotoCoyote and myself were greeted by many there and each of them talked of how Bill talked to them about the happenings here about the forum.

Know that Bill thought of you in very high regard and valued his time on this forum.
Thank you all for the great ride to the service! We had riders from Bakersfield, Tehachapi, Las Vegas, Riverside, Covina, Santa Clarita, Ontario, Apple Valley, Beautiful Palmdale and Lancaster.
Klackey and SoloTotoCoyote's bikes were great to see, although I noticed they always stayed in front of my Connie (too afraid to get nicked by my falling parts probably).
However, aside from a malfunctioning GPS and subsequently blown away route map (both off of the Goldwing, go figure :D) and a dropped glove (your supposed to wear them not carry them...off a VTX, go figure :D) we all made it together. Do you kinda feel the love?
Having Capt_Gruuvy, Klackey, SoloTotoCoyote, ATCDR, steamroller, and if I missed anyone from here go ahead and kick me over when you see me (you can't hurt the Connie, she's got nothing left to break but the duct tape) representing this site with us at the service and during the ride was GREAT.
I'll remember you all "should" an ST fall into my garage someday. ;)

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #

...........I'll remember you all "should" an ST fall into my garage someday. ;)
No need for an ST to join us all the time. The Concourse falls under the ST (Sport Touring) name. Feel free to hang out with us.

It was nice to meet you, sir. And good to see that you, your passenger, and all the parts on your bike arrived as a whole when all was said and done. :D

...............However, aside from a malfunctioning GPS and subsequently blown away route map (both off of the Goldwing, go figure :D) and a dropped glove (your supposed to wear them not carry them...off a VTX, go figure :D) we all made it together. Do you kinda feel the love?..........
The map incident was just too funny. For those not present, somehow, the riders who didn't know where we were going (ie: Me, Klackey, and 2 Harley guys) ended up at the lead. Finally, the Goldwinger (name eludes me) who has the directions, pulls to the front to lead. He asks his passenger to pull the directions to double check them. I want to comment that the handwriting looked pleasant, from what I could tell, as they flew past me seconds later. :crackup

Last edited:

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles

Great stuff guys... I know Bill would have loved and appreciated it, a true memorial.

Thanks to all who showed up yesterday. It was a pleasure to meet the other fellow riders I didn't know, and a great memorial ride to his services.

A few days before the ride a fellow rider had asked me about the sensetivity issue for Mary since Bill was killed on a motorcycle. I told him in my experience the traditional ride to the services was always well recieved.
The first thing Mary did as we arrived was greet us all.She gave me a big hug, and the first thing she said to me was "this is awesome". The last thing she said to me as we left the house and visiting was "Thank God for the trip to Cabo".
You ST guys are a class act. If you ever need a goldwing with a malfunctioning GPS to throw map pages at you and pick up your gloves, let me know.
:bow1:

Bike
2014 Yamaha FZ-09
STOC #

Gruuvy and I heard this one from Mary, his wife, yesterday. A little while ago, she was balancing their checkbook and noticed a paypal payment. Knowing Bill, she called and asked what he had bought for his ST. Bill laughed said it was her Mother's Day gift. Shortly after Bill passed, a box arrived. Billy, Bill's son, said "Hey, Mom. I think this is your mother's day gift." They opened the box to find a Stuff Stopper for the ST. :crackup

TPadden

Tom Padden

I can only add my name to the many offering condolences; Bill sounds like a guy I would have enjoyed riding with.

Tom

Svl-1300

R.I.P 5/9/2009
Bike
07 ST1300
STOC #

I wanna just add my many thanks to all that attended my Dad's services friday. There were so many of you that showed up and it definatly was a site to see. On behalf of myself,my mom (Mary), and sister(Danielle) we love you guys and pray that you all are blessed and keep the memory of my dad alive and riiiiiiiiide for life! God Bless,
Billy Galarneau

Top Bottom