Valve Adjust

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
The ST1300 service manual indicates the valve covers be installed dry with the exception of sealant applied at the half moon semicircles.
Here's a picture illustrating what Dave wrote in his post above.

ST 1300 "Half Moon" Valve Cover Gasket Detail

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Personal anecdote: at 190,000 statute miles on my 1991 SSMST it STill has the original valve cover gaskets. The grommets under the valve cover bolts were replaced sometime after 100K, juST because. I don’t recall when I experienced my one and only gasket oil leak which was also the first time I actually used HT in the half moons to stop it (>120K?).
YMMV and probably will.

John

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300

I also run a very light film of sealant along the rest of the gasket.....

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I also run a very light film of sealant along the rest of the gasket.....
unnecessary extra work.

If the gasket isn't sealing on its own, its quite likely it because the grommets under the valve cover bolts have compressed too far and the bolts can't provide enough clamping force to secure the gasket to its mating surface.

Kevcules

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300
unnecessary extra work.

If the gasket isn't sealing on its own, its quite likely it because the grommets under the valve cover bolts have compressed too far and the bolts can't provide enough clamping force to secure the gasket to its mating surface.
Yeah maybe....I'll still take the extra 30 seconds and smear a light film of sealant on the rest of the gasket. Had it apart twice now and so far so good.....

Bike
'07STA
STOC #

Valve Gasket Sealant.jpg
I thought only a small amount in the corners of the moons not the whole moon. I might be wrong but I only used a small dab in the 4 corners. That much would make it hard to remove the cover next time. I never had a leak.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
unnecessary extra work.

I mentioned earlier that I put a very thin bead of sealant around the whole gasket too, or at least most of it, but not for the purpose of sealing. I am confident the half moon applications are all that is necessary. I just do it to keep the danged gasket stuck to the valve cover, as it can tend to fall out, like around the spark plug holes, when you turn it over to attach it to the head. Just takes out some guesswork if all the bits are in proper position before bolting it down.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I mentioned earlier that I put a very thin bead of sealant around the whole gasket too, or at least most of it, but not for the purpose of sealing. I am confident the half moon applications are all that is necessary. I just do it to keep the danged gasket stuck to the valve cover, as it can tend to fall out, like around the spark plug holes, when you turn it over to attach it to the head. Just takes out some guesswork if all the bits are in proper position before bolting it down.
I do that too, but the reply I responded to was in regard to putting sealant on the surface of the gasket that contacts the head, not the top part that contacts the valve cover.

CYYJ

Michael
Bike
None any more.
STOC #
...just a dab in the corners is all that's needed.
I looked to see where Honda put the sealant when they originally assembled the engine, and then put sealant only where I had found it upon disassembly.

Michael

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I do that too, but the reply I responded to was in regard to putting sealant on the surface of the gasket that contacts the head, not the top part that contacts the valve cover.
Right! Thanks for clarifying that for me. I had thought Kevcules was doing the same as you and I.

As anyone ever use the Wiseco shim set? I know they have been making engine parts for many years.

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
At 130K when I traded in my bike the valves had never been checked. A friend told me not to concern myself being the bike would let me know being it would lose it's steady idle. If that were to occur then an adjustment was necessary. He also noted that if you were not running it hard (near redline) it would likely never require an adjustment. The bike performed flawlessly for my entire ownership.

Bike
04 ST1300
Here's a middle of the road alternative: Make a careful record of what valves need a shim change, then, bring the bike to a "tech event" in your region sometime this summer. You can get hands-on help changing the shims there, and that will give you the confidence to change shims by yourself in the future if changes are needed.

Plus, you'll have fun and probably eat well at the tech event. :)

Michael
Tech events are very helpful and a learning experience.

Top Bottom