VStrom 650.

Bike
VStrom 650
We started looking at these recently and sort of think we've found our new smaller tourer, it's a standard WeeStrom that's been XT'd, which suits because I wanted the alloy wheels anyway. It'll be used for shorter day rides this year alongside the BeaST but if it fits it'll be sorted out for next year with touring in mind. It's a surprisingly spacious bike and there are many reports of two up touring in comfort.
We'll see, but for now it'll just be assessed for a suitable long term replacement for the Pan.....maybe.
It's a 2017 with about 4500 miles on the clock.
Upt'North.

Oh yes it will be known as The B.
IMG_20220510_230932.jpg

Bike
2006 ST1300
It always amuses me to think that I now consider my smaller bike ( Honda NC700X) a "small"bike, when, in fact, it's more powerful than the '71 BMW R75/5 my wife and I put so many great touring miles on. Yes, the ST1300 is much more comfy, but the NC ( and other smaller bikes) have plenty of oomph and are a lot easier to handle for a lot of us aging folks. I'm planning on taking the smaller bike on a longer ride later this year.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I recently sold my 2013 Vstrom which I had for 7 years. I loved the bike, but it didn’t get ridden enough to justify keeping it. It was excellent for camping, since it had more storage space than any bike I’ve ever owned. Other than oil changes and tires, no maintenance was required.

John

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
It always amuses me to think that I now consider my smaller bike ( Honda NC700X) a "small"bike, when, in fact, it's more powerful than the '71 BMW R75/5 my wife and I put so many great touring miles on. Yes, the ST1300 is much more comfy, but the NC ( and other smaller bikes) have plenty of oomph and are a lot easier to handle for a lot of us aging folks. I'm planning on taking the smaller bike on a longer ride later this year.
Yes......I know.
One mans small is another mans, oooo errrrrr matron....
I can't comment on how it rides, tours, excites, just yet, but small? Nah, don't get it.
But......when I was in the garage yesterday an old chap from across the road wandered over and sat on it, he must be 80 at least and said it was enormous, although the last bike he rode was a Triumph Tiger Cub about 50 years ago. He's on about getting a RE 350 Meteor, what could go wrong?
I'm actually quite surprised that parking it next to the 11, it don't look small at all, as for whether 70 bhp in a 220 KG bike is enough, we'll have to wait and see. Although I did check the power to weight figure before buying and it's actually higher than the 11. The torque curve is very flat too.
Upt'North.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
Just checked....as you do when you've got 6 Saturdays every week. The seat is exactly the same length as the one on the 11. That's from the front lip to the very last bit at the back. That's reassuring.
Upt'North.

mjc506

Matt
Bike
ST1300A2, CRF250L
Had a 1st gen DL650 as my first bike. Did many miles around the UK two-up and camping, did 10k miles around Scandinavia one it... I miss it!

Bike
Scrambler Ducati
I had a 2009, new to being t-boned by a goober in a SUV. I think yours probably has a fork brace (which mine seriously needed). Running at 75+ a little oil would work its way into the filter box and get burned. As I remember about 1500mi to needing topping up. It had 60+ k mi when it got totaled. The only problem I had was a burned stator. Work the gearbox and spin up the engine: plenty quick.

RobbieAG

Robert
Bike
2005 ST1300
I have a 2017 SV650 which is similar in many ways (same engine etc.). It's quite capable of touring when configured correctly, and I've taken it on many multi day camping trips to the mountains (heading out again next week!). I got the SV over the Strom because I wanted to do some track days. Plus I prefer the looks. It's got plenty of power and gets 50 - 60 mpg. Hard to beat that!

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I have a 2017 SV650 which is similar in many ways (same engine etc.). It's quite capable of touring when configured correctly, and I've taken it on many multi day camping trips to the mountains (heading out again next week!). I got the SV over the Strom because I wanted to do some track days. Plus I prefer the looks. It's got plenty of power and gets 50 - 60 mpg. Hard to beat that!

I sure hope to see you at Willville next week!

Bike
2010 ST1300
I have a '13 V Strom, and it has allowed me to keep riding after I sold the ST (which was growing too heavy for me to horse around in the garage or parking lot). I did an on/off road tour with some friends the first year I bought the bike, and did a fair amount of reading. For an on road bike only, it seems a better set up is changing the front calipers and master cylinder and putting street (sport touring) tires on it. According to what I've read, the bike is designed for road and dirt, and Suzi did not want you locking powerful brakes and depending on ABS whenever you slowed off road. I think my off road riding is largely behind me, and I might do this change this coming winter.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
Welcome to the club! When my son moves east for grad school, 'his' 2013 'Strom effectively reverts to mine.

STRider

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
That's awesome, maybe you encourage him to take a month and ride it school. Cheap transportation when he gets here, unless of course you have your heart set on having it back.
We've pondered such an adventure. He'll be in Rochester for a few years, so it's on the table after he gets his bearings. He'll need to find housing for the bike (a garage!) before we can commit to getting it there. Rochester has winters if you hadn't noticed. :)

Said trip would be one way for him and round trip for me! :thumb:

Till then, don't be in such a rush to take my WeeStrom away from me!!

Top Bottom