VStrom 650.

Bike
2007 ST1300
This is my 2006 Wee Strom loaded up for a trip from Florida to Michigan several years ago, including the hi-tech SiriusXM and GPS rain covers...
Great bike for just about anything I threw at it for the 10+ years I owned it.
Cheap to buy, cheap to own, pretty much bullet proof and a nearly endless array of farkles.
I do miss it a lot but my wife is more comfortable on the ST and she said I could only have one bike at a time.
Loaded Bike Small.jpg

Bike
2006 ST 1300
The Wee was on my very short list when i got this 2006 ST A. Only two things kept me from the Wee. The chain drive and the price of one used. After a KLR 650 a few years back. I swore off a chain drive bike. But I was entertaining a Scott chail oiler for it. After searching for months. My locale seemed to be the highest price in the lower 48.

Jethro

R.I.P. - 2023/10/20
Rest In Peace
Bike
2006 st1300
Dl 1050 has the power you need.Modern, to me electronic riding aids,cruise, traction control etc.Easy to navigate or not!

STOC #
The Wee was on my very short list when i got this 2006 ST A. Only two things kept me from the Wee. The chain drive and the price of one used. After a KLR 650 a few years back. I swore off a chain drive bike. But I was entertaining a Scott chail oiler for it. After searching for months. My locale seemed to be the highest price in the lower 48.
I too was not sure about going back to a chain. Having had an '83 GS 1100E, it was not easy on the old 630 chains. The info I'd read on the V-Strom 650 chain life gave me some hope and I gave up the ST1100 for the 650. I'm now over 46,000 miles on the Tutoro oiled OEM chain. :)

Bike
2014 ST1300
It's been years since I had a bike with a chain, like the 70's. Course it's also been years since I had a bike.....

Anyway, I don't recall the chain maintenance being that onerous; keep it clean and oiled and tighten it every so often. Course, I was in high school at the time and had an abundance of time. Are chains that tough to look after or is it just one more thing added to the list? I'm a big believer in making lists as short as possible; less shame when you only forget to do one or two things (I appreciate that may actually be worse; "you only had two things...." but we all rationalize as required).

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I think w/modern o-ring and x-ring chains you don't even have to oil them... just clean them as the dirt will get into the rings and cause issues. On my previous chain bikes - vstrom 650 and tracer 900 gt.. all I did was spray whatever chainlube I purchased and then used a rag and cleaned off the chain... The chain lube is more about cutting down sprocket wear I believe... but as stated above, you can at least see the wear and the components are fairly cheap and reliable.

Many like chain oilers but I think think they provide little benefit vs the mess you have to clean up. Just my opinion but I'm a clean freak..

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I think w/modern o-ring and x-ring chains you don't even have to oil them... just clean them as the dirt will get into the rings and cause issues. On my previous chain bikes - vstrom 650 and tracer 900 gt.. all I did was spray whatever chainlube I purchased and then used a rag and cleaned off the chain... The chain lube is more about cutting down sprocket wear I believe... but as stated above, you can at least see the wear and the components are fairly cheap and reliable.

Many like chain oilers but I think think they provide little benefit vs the mess you have to clean up. Just my opinion but I'm a clean freak..
Ohh ohh, let's talk chain lubes and what oil to use in your oilers... :bigpop::smile-popcorn:

For my Kawi I use Maxima chain wax in a spray can, so sort of not an oil at all....

Bike
2010 ST1300
I too, use a Tutoro oiler. No electrical hookups, pretty much foolproof. Just got a pair of Tusk panniers - hard cases, the smaller ones. I had to machine some mounting blocks to fit the Solo box mounts that were on the bike. When I get them on, I'll post a picture.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
This is my 2006 Wee Strom loaded up for a trip from Florida to Michigan several years ago, including the hi-tech SiriusXM and GPS rain covers...
Great bike for just about anything I threw at it for the 10+ years I owned it.
Cheap to buy, cheap to own, pretty much bullet proof and a nearly endless array of farkles.
I do miss it a lot but my wife is more comfortable on the ST and she said I could only have one bike at a time.
Loaded Bike Small.jpg
Tell her she can only have one pair of shoes at a time. Only fair.:rofl1::biggrin:

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
It's been years since I had a bike with a chain, like the 70's. Course it's also been years since I had a bike.....

Anyway, I don't recall the chain maintenance being that onerous; keep it clean and oiled and tighten it every so often. Course, I was in high school at the time and had an abundance of time. Are chains that tough to look after or is it just one more thing added to the list? I'm a big believer in making lists as short as possible; less shame when you only forget to do one or two things (I appreciate that may actually be worse; "you only had two things...." but we all rationalize as required).
After about 1,500 shakedown miles last year I've yet to adjust the chain and it's had minimal spray lube. There's no visible wear to the sprockets at around 6000 miles, and chain and sprockets are oem. Nowt fancy.
I use a Motul spray lube and have just got a 100 ml can for use on the road on longer tours.
I'm no chain expert but as far as I'm aware you just need to lube the rollers where they contact the sprockets.
Upt.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
I'm no chain expert but as far as I'm aware you just need to lube the rollers where they contact the sprockets.
Upt.
And check the slack. Too loose and you could toss the chain (not good.) Too taught and it causes premature wear on the parts.

I can't say what yours should be but mine is about 1.5" deflection extreme to extreme at the loosest part.

Bike
2021 R1250RT
And check the slack. Too loose and you could toss the chain (not good.) Too taught and it causes premature wear on the parts.

I can't say what yours should be but mine is about 1.5" deflection extreme to extreme at the loosest part.
If too tight also can limit rear suspension travel.

Reactions: Obo
Top Bottom