VStrom 650.

STOC #
I’m a STROMtrooper now.We are just dating . Still own my ST1300. Dl1050 is one nice ride.
I took out a 2015 dl650 xt today and just was not impressed. The 1000’s that I took out years ago were much better to me. Got to try the newer 1050 sometime as the ST13 is getting heavier every year.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
I have 4 bikes in my garage (See sig block) As I have stated many, times before, If I had to get rid of three of them which one would I keep. The Wee of course. I even rented one for my last Euro Bike trip. Great bike, dependable, inexpensive, easy to maintain. Very good on fuel. I have own three of them now.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
I have 4 bikes in my garage (See sig block) As I have stated many, times before, If I had to get rid of three of them which one would I keep. The Wee of course. I even rent one for my last Euro Bike trip. Great bike, dependable, inexpensive, easy to maintain. Very good on fuel. I have own three of them now.
Chuck,
Like the way you disguise your beer in a coffee mug. Very cunning.
What luggage is that you're running, it doesn't look familiar to me, and believe me I've looked at a lot of VStrom luggage lately.
We should be out again on ours tomorrow, that's if the weather guessers know their arris from their elbow.
Upt'North.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
Chuck,
Like the way you disguise your beer in a coffee mug. Very cunning.
What luggage is that you're running, it doesn't look familiar to me, and believe me I've looked at a lot of VStrom luggage lately.
We should be out again on ours tomorrow, that's if the weather guessers know their arris from their elbow.
Upt'North.
The picture of the Wee with the luggage was my Rental Euro Bike. If I am not mistaken I believe it was Kreger. I found that the V-strom 650 was a great rental bike for Europe. Small enough for the cities but large enough for the Alps. Good on gas and rental price. The second picture here is me pouring a homemade wine cooler. We called it Skeeter Pee. Good Stuff.

Attachments

STOC #
I have 4 bikes in my garage (See sig block) As I have stated many, times before, If I had to get rid of three of them which one would I keep. The Wee of course. I even rented one for my last Euro Bike trip. Great bike, dependable, inexpensive, easy to maintain. Very good on fuel. I have own three of them now.
I can see why people like them a lot. Cheap and will do everything. Just prefer the 1000. In 05 I bought an 03 Bonnie. Added hard bags, windshield etc. Liked that a lot. The 2015 wee I took out was weird as throttle didn’t do much of anything unless almost wide open.

Nashcat

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 Versys 1000LT
STOC #
I can see why people like them a lot. Cheap and will do everything. Just prefer the 1000. In 05 I bought an 03 Bonnie. Added hard bags, windshield etc. Liked that a lot. The 2015 wee I took out was weird as throttle didn’t do much of anything unless almost wide open.
It sounds like you didn't wind it up tight enough to get to the power. It takes upwards of 7000 RPM too get the full HP.

1653515578875.png

Bike
2007 ST1300
I had a 2007 V-strom 650 and got rid of it last year to an offer I couldn’t refuse, which I was open to because the power was lacking for higher speed slab riding (which we are all forced to do some of the time). It just felt like you were whipping it when trying to keep up on interstate-style roads. But a very solid, dependable and easy to work on bike.

This year I picked up a 2015 V-strom 1000, power is night-and-day difference and high speed riding is not a problem. I could almost replace the ST1300 with it. Almost, but not quite.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
I had a 2007 V-strom 650 and got rid of it last year to an offer I couldn’t refuse, which I was open to because the power was lacking for higher speed slab riding (which we are all forced to do some of the time). It just felt like you were whipping it when trying to keep up on interstate-style roads. But a very solid, dependable and easy to work on bike.

This year I picked up a 2015 V-Strom 1000, power is night-and-day difference and high speed riding is not a problem. I could almost replace the ST1300 with it. Almost, but not quite.
Agree with you there, I did a fly and ride to Wash State to buy my second 2014 Wee 650. spent another two weeks riding it back to Colorado via California. Ran the slab from California to Denver. Speeds of 75 to 80mph on the slap. Motor was turning a lot of RPMs and sucking a bit of fuel. Range was about 190 to 210 miles per tank, depending on the wind. The bike handled it fine but was really out of its element. The V-Strom 650 is not a real freeway burner. It is in it's element in the mountains / foothills doing tight twisties and dirt roads. (see my posts In .......Love Riding Colorado) For Freeway blasting I have my FJR1300. PS. The Wee did great on the PCH.

Attachments

Bike
91 ST1100
STOC #
I have a 2012 650A that I bought as my 65th birthday present to myself, FULLY farkled and 20k miles. It is a perfect partner to my 91 St11. Moving the two bikes around the garage is almost comical. After rolling the Wee to her spot, pushing the ST feels almost like I am trying to move a tree! I now have the two perfect bikes for me. The wife loves the ST but looks askance at the Wee, which suits me just fine because the Wee is an absolute joy to throw around on my daily commute to work. Nimble, sweet handling and quick enough for me if I want to twist her tail...

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
I have a 2012 650A that I bought as my 65th birthday present to myself, FULLY farkled and 20k miles. It is a perfect partner to my 91 St11. Moving the two bikes around the garage is almost comical. After rolling the Wee to her spot, pushing the ST feels almost like I am trying to move a tree! I now have the two perfect bikes for me. The wife loves the ST but looks askance at the Wee, which suits me just fine because the Wee is an absolute joy to throw around on my daily commute to work. Nimble, sweet handling and quick enough for me if I want to twist her tail...
When I put the Wee on the centre stand for the first time I nearly through it backwards through the garage wall. But returning to the 11 and trying to manoeuvre it around confirms I'm ready for something smaller. If we continue to bond I don't think smaller will equal less fun. At the moment I would say it feels much brisker than the 11. First tank of fuel is showing around 60 mpg and I'm not riding for economy.
Upt'North.

ChucksKLRST

Team Colorado
Bike
2019 Versys 1K SE LT
STOC #
When I put the Wee on the centre stand for the first time I nearly through it backwards through the garage wall. But returning to the 11 and trying to manoeuvre it around confirms I'm ready for something smaller. If we continue to bond I don't think smaller will equal less fun. At the moment I would say it feels much brisker than the 11. First tank of fuel is showing around 60 mpg and I'm not riding for economy.
Upt'North.
Same feeling after I ride my FJR and moving it around the garage. The Wee is a lot more fun it the tight twisties, switchbacks, and dirt trails, than the FJR.

Attachments

Bike
2020 Moto guzzi V85T
I look at my 2020 DL650 XT as an economy motorcycle. No frills, but an all purpose bike that does a lot of things I need well, but nothing great. My only real complaints are the key is like a dagger in my pocket. It is an old style key that is Sharp and very long, Not like other modern motorcycles with the shorter machined keys. (I am whining here). The other is no electronic cruise control. I have been spoiled with this one. But I am not willing to spend money on the MCCruise control. I really don't like throttle locks, plus with my aftermarket heated grips and the factory hand guards make it so many throttle lock will not work.

But this is an economy bike you can't have everything.

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
When I was looking at middleweights I rode the Wee three times and really wanted to like it. It's very popular and has tremendous aftermarket support but I found it top heavy for my 29" inseam compared to the competing Kawasaki 650s of the time and the BMW R100 it was going to replace. Another thing that did not meet my expectations was the revvy nature of the engine. I guess I am predisposed to bikes that make power in the low and mid range and didn't like having to wind it up to get into the power band.

I have had a 2009 for ten years now and the battery quit yesterday, five years not bad eh.

got a new Kimpex well see how it goes

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
How it looks today......
It's nearly there.
Pegs lowered.
Seat raised front and rear and gel. 2" front, 1" rear.
Puig screen deflector.
EP sat nav mount.
Givi Box 58L.
Shad Panniers 2 x 35 L.
Givi Bars.
Oxford mirror extenders.
Puig Hugger.
Pyramid Plastics front extender.
Phew, I might ride it now.
But I've still got a Garmin sat nav to mount.....when i buy it.
Oh yes, Kappa tank bag.

20230405_151346.jpg

Upt.

OP
OP
Upt' North
Bike
VStrom 650
Another view of the Sat Nav bracket, it will place it nicely in the line of vision. It's a Garmin specific mount.
Upt.
20230405_150414.jpg

Reactions: Obo
Top Bottom