Well it happened. Went Down today

Bike
2007 ST1300
Sitting in my local ER feeling thankful (and hopeful, as still awaiting some CT results) that I don't have anything more major than a couple cracked ribs, sprained ankle, bruised hip, and very minor road rash.

Taking advantage of a beautiful 57 degree day here out on some of our great back road blacktops when I came upon a Bobcat skidsteer, I went to pass and he turned right in front of me. I hit the brakes hard but still thinking I was in okay shape for avoiding disaster, when the front end locked (non-abs 2007) and down I went on my right side.

Banged up the bike pretty good, but was able, with the help of a good Samaritan (not the skid steer operator, he made his turn and kept on going), to upright the bike and drive 20 miles back to my house and have my wife take me to the ER where I currently sit.

All things considered, feeling pretty fortunate. Asking for some healing prayers.

ST Hawk

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
Hope there is nothing serious wrong. Passing is always a risky thing to me, you just never know what the guy in the other vehicle is going to do. Friend of mine was killed passing a pick up that decided to turn left into a driveway as he was passing. Guy was a great rider too.

Get well, get the bike fixed and be careful out there.

Sheriff41

Chuck
Bike
'05 ST1300A
STOC #
Sitting in my local ER feeling thankful (and hopeful, as still awaiting some CT results) that I don't have anything more major than a couple cracked ribs, sprained ankle, bruised hip, and very minor road rash.

Taking advantage of a beautiful 57 degree day here out on some of our great back road blacktops when I came upon a Bobcat skidsteer, I went to pass and he turned right in front of me. I hit the brakes hard but still thinking I was in okay shape for avoiding disaster, when the front end locked (non-abs 2007) and down I went on my right side.

Banged up the bike pretty good, but was able, with the help of a good Samaritan (not the skid steer operator, he made his turn and kept on going), to upright the bike and drive 20 miles back to my house and have my wife take me to the ER where I currently sit.

All things considered, feeling pretty fortunate. Asking for some healing prayers.

ST Hawk
Glad to hear your injuries weren't worse. Prayer for you to heal quickly. I had a crash years ago where a guy ran a stop sign and pulled his car right in front of me. At least he stopped to check on me and help me pick up the pieces of my XS650. Did the skid steer op not see you go down? I can't imagine him not stopping to help out.

Sheriff

ibike2havefun

Still above the sod
Site Supporter
Bike
Bikeless (9/29/2019)
STOC #
Very, very glad to hear you are not hurt more badly. Sorry you're hurt at all.

Good thoughts sent your way. Heal well and quickly.

Bike
2000 ST1100
Glad to see your not worse than this could have been. If you ride long enough this crap will happen to you. I use to ride the lane next to the curb on the right side of the road. Until some idiot decided to make a right hand turn in front of me from the far left lane. I jammed the brakes up and damned near dumped it. After I got done cussing I continued on my way. But a valuable lesson was learned that day for I now ride the left side of the lane near the one with the dividing stripes marked. Wished your bystander would have chased down the guy that hit you. Good luck to you,

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I now ride the left side of the lane near the one with the dividing stripes marked
Left tire track position also makes you more readily visible to oncoming traffic, especially to the guy coming the other way that is anxious to make a left turn right after the car ahead of you goes through the intersection. You being in the right tire track at that time, hidden by the car ahead of you, is a recipe for a head on collision.

OP
OP
STHawk
Bike
2007 ST1300
Hope there is nothing serious wrong. Passing is always a risky thing to me, you just never know what the guy in the other vehicle is going to do. Friend of mine was killed passing a pick up that decided to turn left into a driveway as he was passing. Guy was a great rider too.

Get well, get the bike fixed and be careful out there.
I completely agree I'm still kicking myself for taking the chance to pass him, I really had no need to, but the passing lane was wide open and of course that skid steer has no blinkers. Will probably never repeat that mistake again.

OP
OP
STHawk
Bike
2007 ST1300
Glad to hear your injuries weren't worse. Prayer for you to heal quickly. I had a crash years ago where a guy ran a stop sign and pulled his car right in front of me. At least he stopped to check on me and help me pick up the pieces of my XS650. Did the skid steer op not see you go down? I can't imagine him not stopping to help out.

Sheriff
I I seriously don't believe he ever saw me he just kept on his way down the gravel road, I was honestly trying to flag him down from my knees but with the cracked ribs I was really struggling to catch my breath.

I don't honestly have any ill-will towards the guy, now my wife on the other hand....:)

Bike
2000 ST1100
I completely agree I'm still kicking myself for taking the chance to pass him, I really had no need to, but the passing lane was wide open and of course that skid steer has no blinkers. Will probably never repeat that mistake again.
No you won't make that mistake again. This will be filed in your memory bank and you will never forget it. Sometimes close calls make you a better rider.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
I am more fearful of passing farm and heavy equipment than regular road vehicles. Regular road vehicles will most often only be turning on to other roads and are therefore more predictable. Other types of vehicles, especially farm equipment, you never know where they might turn. They can turn on to any field, pasture, dirt track, etc., making their movements much less predictable. Whenever possible I usually slow way down, pull up to their left rear corner in the opposing lane of traffic and follow them in this position until I see the operator make eye contact with me. At least I know that they have seen me, know that I am there and will be passing them.

I have broken many ribs. The good news for you is that I found that the intense pain at least goes away very quickly.
Heal well, be careful and ride again.

Bike
2010 ST-1300
Glad you were are able to ride away from the accident. I have a skidsteer at work and there is almost no rear visibility. No rear view mirror and the rear window is small and hard to see out of. Also no blinkers or way to use hand signals for turning. I imagine most farm and heavy equipment is the same.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Could have been much worse, glad you're around to talk about it. Heal fast!

Bike
1992 ST1100
STOC #
Sorry to hear you were hurt.
Farm and construction equipment on a roadway are major flags to me. I always stop. These vehicles have no way of signalling a turn, they are noisy so the operators can't hear you. I never try to pass them. I've had close calls too out on the country roads in Indiana. Look out for heavy equipment at construction sites in the city. You got to be careful, Situational awareness is key.
Best wishes for healing well ST Hawk!!

Bike
2010 ST1300
By now you probably know all of the er's results. I wish you a fast healing, and hope your assessment was all that was wrong.

My experience w/ farm machinery in southeast Ohio (Amish/farm areas) is that the people driving the huge combines, harvesters, etc. are hyper vigilant for bikes and cars and are more polite and careful drivers when on rural roads than the folks in my Cleveland suburb. Of course, that does not speak for all of them, but it seems to be the general rule from what I've seen. Skid steers are not licensed to drive on public roads and given what @drtyrrel said, they should be extra careful when operating around traffic. That is why so many construction sites on roadways have a dedicated flagman(men) to direct traffic.

Top Bottom