What did you do with your ST1100/ST1300 today?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
... f i n a l l y completed the annual MOT on the '94 ... :rolleyes:
... got rejected 3 times prior ...

Nah! Technically everything in top notch... :cool:
observing my ST's literally leaping out their brake tester every time makes me grin; not used to firm, prompt stoppers they grab them way too heavy... uoops! :rofl1:

They complained about way other things:
- 1st attempted inspection: ... errr, sorry those amber signal lights have to come off...
so I took those off....

- 2nd attempted inspection: ... but that model year had no running lights, and the reflective "french rear" doesn't comply...
grrr... couldn't have told me that last time, couldn't you?!
pinned the 5 watt running lights out the front turn-signal connectors, cracked out the heat-gun to peel the red/day-glow chevrons off the rear...

- 3rd attempted inspection: ... the reflective foil on the sides doesn't have CE-mark ...
WHAT IN THE A... ??!!! :mad:
a) I'm running this bike in this livery since ten years without any issue ever
b) can't you guys cough up a list containing e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g. right away instead of teasing people?!!
I was fuming... A.H's.! :rolleyes:

OK, back to the hangar, another gig with the heat-gun... the adhesive eraser wheel... and other things...

4th visit now was the charm, outta there in 10 minutes, with the sticker... bullocks...

So road assistance/support livery isn't much appreciated over here...
Possible intensified EC regulations or such... Orwell look down...
Maybe cause those with darn LED headlights might dazzle themself for a change, who knows...

Anyway, road legal again, non reflective day-glow set in the pipeline...

prev look for the archives...

IMG_20230701_091745.jpg

Sadlsor

Site Supporter
Bike
2008 ST1300A
STOC #
Alabama doesn't have state "inspections", which can be a good thing and sometimes a bad thing.
But my libertarian leanings (yes, I'm American, but I'm not alone in this) always revert back to simplicity:
All in all, less government is better.
The nine most frightening words you'll ever hear -- "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help."
In the immortal word of my good friend @Upt' North ...
Pfffttt!

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Alabama doesn't have state "inspections", which can be a good thing and sometimes a bad thing.
But my libertarian leanings (yes, I'm American, but I'm not alone in this) always revert back to simplicity:
All in all, less government is better.
The nine most frightening words you'll ever hear -- "I'm from the government, and I'm here to help."
In the immortal word of my good friend @Upt' North ...
Pfffttt!
"Pfffttt!" indeed... :rolleyes:
Last night I spent a loooong time on the inet and found that the EC had issued a new ECE 48 directive in 2021...
After wading deeply through numberless pages of juristic gobble dong:
...as a result, private individuals are not permitted to attach reflective foil as separate strips or combined as contour markings to their vehicles...
Right...
Back in 2011 when I rescued/rebuild/customized that vandalized '94 ST, reflective yellow side markings carried no legal issues...
In fact no inspector objected on anything in the past couple of years... no even the red/yellow french chevron on the rear...
However, about two years ago the gov/DMV has installed a nationwide online central database where now all tech inspections have to be entered/stored...

Appears that the w/shops and stations certified for MOT now live in fear of getting smacked by the authorities, hence acting zealous on the client's vehicles...

Great times indeed...

Last edited:
Nothing. I'm at work , making the mo ey to afford riding after I chg the alternator. This bike, because of its age and a lack of good mechanics desiring to work on it, is making me a motorcycle mechanic. Thx STeed1300!

Bike
2009 ST1300
jeeze, you guys gotta put up with a load of ... just to ride the ... my hat's off, I have to say. It's so easy here; as long as the guy you got it from could have fogged a mirror at the time you aquired it. But having said that, it's really hard to move vehicles between provinces; they have to go through all the bs; everything has to be re registered; it's a ridiculous provincial government tax grab; just like all your proletarian certs; reason why I'll never live in Alberta again, can't keep anything.

Bike
2006 ST1300
Hi All,

I did some preventative maintenance. I changed the hose connecting the main fuel tank to the lower tank.

Probably a waste of time. The other hose was in great shape, but, now I should be good for another 17 years!!

Take care,
Ray

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Well, after the damage due Norwegian road conditions, I replaced both fork bottoms today... before we get snowed in...

after draining the oil and removing the seals, I placed tubes and bushings back into the old bottoms to check clearance/wear...
- with the old bottoms I sensed significant gap when wiggling the tube in various positions & depths
- with the new bottoms I sensed almost no gap at all, vanished to nil once the new seals were installed

servicing the anti-dive while swapping...

IMG_20240105_89c24baf.jpg

note that the new part already comes with the needle bearing...
they don't have the M5 drain bolts drilled anymore, the cast is there though; mulled over drill and tapping it myself but decided against...
Proper service means disassembly and flushing everything... not just drain and refill...

IMG_20240105_a64c5c37.jpg

no tea and biscuits in my shop, but decent coffee and Manner-waffers... ;)

IMG_20240105_77824230.jpg

be precise...

IMG_20240105_fa3533cf.jpg

soaked the calipers with brake cleaner (hence the name), replaced the oiled pads...
(oil and road grime builds some serious muck everywhere...)

IMG_20240105_036cfe63.jpg

really like the Loctite 248 thread-lock stick, no dripping, consistence like a Blistex lip-balm, just dip the tip of your screw in, brilliant...

everything went flawless, front feels precise and well planted again, brakes back to max performance as used to...
no leaks visible after the ride home, will take a longer shakedown run in spring though...

Last edited:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Due to current, outside weather, there's snow on the ground and it is COLD, I went out to the garage (after the heater got it up to 66F) and was putzing around and decided to take cleaner and polishing stuff to the front of the 2010's new (old 2012) Tupperware :bk13:. Looks much better. ;)

Now that the weather has turned to WINTER (cold out there), I can get back to cleaning the 2010 and get it back together, after changing it's color from :bl13:

I'm still trying to figure out just what to do with that 2005 :dr13: (with the bad engine) that I picked up from Larry's client, last month. :think1:

New member - first post...
After completing the LED switchback turn signal and relay swap (thanks to information gleaned from this forum), I rode about 80 miles today running errands. It was 72 degrees and perfect, but I did need to pick up a set of colder weather gloves for the chilly night rides home from work every day.

Obo

Bike
'03 ST1300A
New member - first post...
After completing the LED switchback turn signal and relay swap (thanks to information gleaned from this forum), I rode about 80 miles today running errands. It was 72 degrees and perfect, but I did need to pick up a set of colder weather gloves for the chilly night rides home from work every day.
Welcome to the forum!

Top Bottom