What did you do with your ST1100/ST1300 today?

Bike
'04 ST1300 Blue STar
I had not done this for several years,,, and it takes less than 24 hours per bike,,, or at least over night. So 2 nights ago,,, I bungee'd the front brake lever on one of my bikes,,, so that it was holding hard and constant pressure. Every 4-6 hours,,, I would take a screwdriver handle,,, and use it to tap the upper banjo fittings bolt head (right at the master cylinder),,, for about 5-10 seconds. The next day,,, one final tap,,, and remove the bungee,, and go riding. It's amazing how it firms up the lever, by allowing compressed micro bubbles to coelless,, and rise into the reservoir. The next day,,, I did the other bike,, and got the same improvement. Need to do this more regularly,, like a couple of times per season. I also have a setup by which I can hang my car battery charger (6 or 7lbs),,, off the brake pedal. Need to do that as well,,, like maybe next weekend. cheers,, CAt'

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
Thanks!!! I just noticed this morning that the rear peddle had more play. So I ran out and put a weight on it at lunch time. will see how it works at the end of the day when I head home.
I also threw on a bungee on the hand brake just because. It is 103 degrees in the parking lot so that will help too. I will also do the over night thing tonight...
Thanks again.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
I found the battery dead again on a recently purchased 1100. When the battery tender showed it wouldn't charge it, I brought the real charger over. Took the side panel off and saw why it wouldn't charge it. The 4 wires hooked to the positive terminal drained it flat dead. Messed with it a while then swapped out another ST battery. While the tender was topping off the charge, I rewired the accessories. I ran a key switched power line to the 4 wires. Installed the battery and went for a ride. All was good. I'll check it in a week or so to see if it's still holding the charge. I ordered another battery.

Bike
2006 ST1300A
2024 Miles
@Catmandu2 your pressure trick worked well. (post 3321)
Yesterday after work with just 4 hours the peddle play was much less.
This morning it was much better, and I really noticed the hand brake had improved too.
Even after an hour on the freeway when I hit the city streets it was still good.
I'll have to add this to my tune up list. I used a 15 lb. dumbbell on the foot peddle.
Thanks!

rtbmrgl

Site Supporter
Bike
‘03 ST1300a
Installed the correct battery, had the bike a few days and noticed the bike didn’t crank over as fast as I thought it should. The PO had the wrong size, way too small, half the CCA as what supposed to be.

rtbmrgl

Site Supporter
Bike
‘03 ST1300a
Got a few more things added, Wolfman tank bag (5th bike since 2002), new GPS, tire pressure sensor monitors, Ram Mount tray for the heat controller, Seat bead strap. Next will be adding a aux fuse box for heated gear, GPS and battery charger.

Attachments

JohnK

Site Supporter
Bike
2012 ST1300a
STOC #
Well tried to go down to Cali today but hundred miles south the rear valve stem gave out and went flat 70 mph. It’s buggered up so will have to have it towed home. At least my tow coverage is premier and up to 200 miles - will have to post pone a day. IMG_4947.jpeg

STOC #
Sorry to hear JohnK hope the rest of the trip goes well. I had to put a battery in my '06 today. I ride the bike pretty regularly and keep it on the tender most of the time so I'm disappointed with the $200 Yuasa I put in May of 2021. Wouldn't hold a charge for more than a day or so; would get down to 12.1v and wouldn't crank. Charging system seems fine; approx 14.3v at idle. I went with an Interstate AGM this time we'll see.

jfheilman

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Did a forty mile or so, around the county ride and then stopped off at the local Food Lion for some Vanilla Bean Ice Cream for the wife. I should have mounted the camera but... I did not.

Willsmotorcycle

Ride more...
Site Supporter
Bike
2016 ST1300P
2024 Miles
Finished another major service finally, everything but valves and coolant. Added new rubber and rear shock upgrade from Racetech. Work got in the way this week or I'd be doing a ride report instead.

Just some switch failures to switch out...and then put her clothes back on. The red tail one in the middle is new and waterproof, the others were not.
IMG_5262.jpeg

Some random picts, because we all love them.
IMG_5258.jpegIMG_5259.jpegIMG_5260.jpegIMG_5261.jpeg

Top Bottom